at the start of November last year.
Part of the deal was the dealer had to store it 'til
spring.
Well, spring is getting really close.
I just called and made arrangements to pick it up on April
first.

Everyone that is riding and picking up their new machines,
especially Josh cause he just got a 12, have been really
driving me crazy. I so want riding season to start.

I don't think I will ever buy a bike and not bring it home
right away again. It has been torture.

13 days, just 13 days to go.

To tide me over, cause I can't think of anything else,
Lets discuss what I should do with my new bike once I get
it home? Any things to be sure to do?
Things to check?

I was thinking
I should check all bolts and fasteners etc.
Just to make sure they are tight.
Give it a good cleaning.
Then wax it. (Suggestions on what to use?)
And break her in real slow.

Any other suggestions?

Is winter over yet?

·
Registered
938 Posts
The zx12r is a great bike. I would hold off doing anything until after the breakin. Go ahead and tighten up the bolts, clean the hell out of the bike, and get used to it. I'm sure after a few miles you will think of many things that you want to do to personalize it. Congrats, you will love it!

Riding always makes me -->/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
883 Posts
Assuming the shop set it up properly (a bad assumption) The waxing is probably the most important thing to do before riding it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I dunno about useing a paste or liquid wax but Kawa has a great spay on cleaner called wipe down that really cleans and shines well and they do have a spray just for polishing.
Both are supposed to protect the paint and I have yet to get anything on the bike (dirt,chain wax, etc.)that the wipe down wont remove with no elbow grease required.
Its really awsome I just cant say enough about it, I cant remember the last time I actually used anything else.

Tim

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope to not have problems with shop setup.
But I do not plan to leave it to chance either.

I do have just over an hours ride to get it home.
So it will have to be cleaned and waxed.
And I may find the odd bolt working loose afterwards.
(Hope not)

Is that Kawi spray on polish expensive?

Lou: I am sure the 12 is a great bike. (Heck I bought one)
I have owned 11's and 9's and loved them to death. Never
had a problem with a Kawi machine yet. Hopefully this
one goes the same way. I am not going to do any serious
mods until breakin is complete. I never do on any bike I
buy. Just looking for ideas. I want a throttle lock,
and some sort of baggage system, maybe brigter headlights.
Not anything big for now.

Is winter over yet?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
my 12 doesn't get cleaned/waxed much. Every opportunity I have where I could be riding instead of cleaning, I ride. Thats not to say that its a pig to look at. Only that its got dirty wheels, roadsplash, rain spots more often than not. I maintain it religiously and thats whats important.

Since you've already owneds 11s and 9s, I eagerly look forward to your impressions on the 12. Although I guess I'll be waiting till its broken in properly....

__
Life is precious. Treasure it.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya sho the 12 breakin will suck.
Did they really lower the breakin on the 02's?

I don't know that I will religiously clean my bike either.
I didn't really do that to any of the others I owned.
But I do maintain them.
I just want to protect the paint as best I can.
Wondering what to use.
Your 12 really turned out well by your dyno numbers Sho.
Any breakin secrets you wanna share?

I really miss my last 11.
I rode a buddy's the other day.
Man it is a fun bike.
I had a lot of good rides on it.

I'll share my opinions Sho, I'll let you know
what I think.
The 12 is the only "hyperbike" if that is what you want
to call them, that I have not actually ridden.
I'm anxious too.

Is winter over yet?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Congrats Sabre, Just got back from a ride on the new 12 in some nice twisties on this beautifull sunny day.../images/icons/tongue.gif Just giving you a hard time! hey that's cool your getting it soon.

I believe they have lowered the break in period for the 02's. I know shotimer said his was 2000 miles on his 01, but the 02's are 0-500 miles=4K 500-1000=7K It says this in the manuel and the sticker on the speedo.

I know something you could do right now, order a rear fender eliminator kit! Believe me the black rear plastic fender is a eyesore, really ruins the look in the back. I'm gonna just cut mine off for now untill I get my fender kit. I'm also going to get some flush mounts and am considering a slip-on.

I have been using some spray on instant detailer from this company called "The Wax Shop" awesome stuff and it leaves a great shine on your bike.

Well, congrats man! be sure to post pics when you get it.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
To clean my bike, to be honest, I use a lot of elbow grease. I wash it with Meguiar's or Zymol car wash, and follow with a coat of MEguiar's Gold Class wax. and thats it. I don't use any other products on my bike. I use Honda HP chain lube and I used Honda oil until 3700miles. I then switched to Castrol 5w-30 synthetic. Next change I will go to Mobil 1 synthetic.

I lubed and adjusted the chain religiously. To ensure proper break in, I made sure that I placed no load on the engine other than very mild acceleration until it reached operating temperature. It is vitally important not to ride with the engine turning at a steady speed for too long. It is important to keep roll on and off the throttle while in gear to ensure loading all the components (including the rings) in both directions.

For the first 350 miles I did not exceed 4k rpm. from there till about 700 miles, I reached 6000rpm momentarily under mild acceleration. from there till about 1000 miles I let it spin up to 9000rpm. slowly I raised it to redline by about 1700miles. Then till about 3000 miles, it spent more and more time at higher rpm.

I NEVER gave it full throttle till about 2500miles. Even when i was up in the rev range, it was a low throttle setting, gentle acceleration and deceleration. I never down shift without the clutch.

I am not claiming that all this is the right way and that every one should do this. I am only saying what I did.

have fun! show us some pictures!!

__

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
to add, now that my bike is ready for 10 years of use, I am going to begin the first round of tweaks. I bought a set of black wheels off a green bike that was being parted out. I will be installing BT010s on it. On the original red rear wheel, I will install a 190, and I plan to see what characteristics I like better. SOme people hate it, others say it transforms the bike, making it much more agile and lighter steering.

I plan to go -1 tooth on the front sprocket and +1 on the rear. I have been warned that 17 teeth makes for a very tight wrap for this size chain, but I am going to do it anyway. It maintains the wheelbase while dropping final gearing by 8%. If I don't like what it does to the chain or to the cruising speed rpm, I'll take the front one back to 18T.

I will also be looking to insall the '02 spec throttle bell crank which is eccentric, not round. This is exactly what I have felt that the 12 always needed. The throttle needs to open gently at small openings, and lots at large openings. THe '00/'01, the throttle opens too fast at low throttle openings and too slow at wide openings. The eccentric bell crank is exactly what I want. Unfortunately I hear that Kawasaki is not selling that part separately, only as part of a whole throttle body assembly.

I am also going to get a double bubble screen, but not like the ones that are commercially available. A guy in Florida makes a screen that is optically perfect and its profile is race derived for high speed runs. I am not interested in high speed runs, but it turns out that the profile looks as if it were factory stock instead of that the crude double bubbles from LP etc. I am going to ask that they supply it to me uncut. A friend of mine has offered to cut it for me the way he has it on his bike, i.e. 4" taller than the way it is normally supplied. That makes it extremely effective in providing protection and it looks awesome.

I plan to explore what pads to get for the rear since I am having a problem with the rear brake. I get no retardation and no feedback when using the brake so I press harder and harder, and next thing I know, it locks up.

I need to tighter all the various nuts and bolts.....

__

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Josh: I really want a fender eliminator/hugger kit. Not
so sure I want to spend that money right now. Might be
next winters project along with flush mounts or integrator
kit.

My mod or accessory "wish list" is looking like this so far:

Rear Stand
Luggage (Tank bag or saddlebags or ????)
Brighter Headlight Bulbs
Throttle Lock (don't really need too quick cause I shouldn't use during breakin)
Sprocket Change (- up front or + in rear or both)
Rear Fender Elim kit
Hugger
Alternate rear turn sigs (integrator or flush mount)

Of course this list is subject to change as I ride the
bike, and live with it, and get to see what I want to
change. I'd be suprised if I ever actually do the
fender elim/hugger/integrator thing. Wife wants me
to get her a bike. That may come first.

Sho: I am waiting to hear your opinion on the tires.
Just to see what you think.
As well as what the sprocket change does for the machine.
A lot of people say changing the sprockets make it an
easier machine to ride around town, and that the accel
really improves. But is it too wheelie prone after??
That may be a concern.

As for the throttle, I have heard that it may be something
worth looking into. Might see about getting one, even
if you have to find it on a wrecked bike.

As for the windscreen, I have never liked double bubble's
look. I'll ride the bike for a while, if the wind
protection is really that bad, then I will look into it.

Hope you figure out your brake problem.

Is winter over yet?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sabre the wipe down and polish are only about 5 bucks and you wont be dissapointed. The main thing is NO elbow grease just a few minutes before you ride and it looks like new!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just in case you dont already know the Pit Bull stand is the best I've had even though its a little expensive and the -1 drive sprocket is an excellent investment and very easy upgrade....my 9 loved it. As for the rear fender just take a dremel and a little time to trim it until you can get the kit and the spacer on the rear signals can be moved to the inside of the fender.....slims up the rear and shows of that fat rear tire!!! AND ITS FREE! I'm sure you already know all this but it makes me feel important!

Tim

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks FLix_Tim,

You are more than welcome to feel important.
I did know most of that stuff.
And have thought about it.
I might do it. Will have to wait and see once
I have her for a while.
That is a common mod to the 12 that can be done at home.
The other common one is to remove the cat conv, and
free up the exhaust flow a bit.
Not sure I want to get into modding the exhaust.
If I was gonna, I would just replace it. (I think)

Is winter over yet?

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
If it were me,....and I'm surprised no one mentioned this,...I'd take off that nasty, sticky grease the factory puts on the chain and after a good cleaning, I'd slick that puppy up with some Honda Chain Oil.

PS. might as well verify the tire's air pressure too.

BA
"<font color=blue>How about never, is never good for you??</font color=blue>"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts