Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
remember my post about the changes to the swingarm i was theorizing about...? well of course, i saw it during the valencia races, but here's proof confirming that they've chucked the right side "banana" of the asymmetrical stock piece, as i suggested, in favor of a stronger symmetrical "works" swingarm...

if honda and suzuki can pull off duals on a street bike with no clearance problems... then why not aprilia on their race bike.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
too bad corser doesn't get to benefit from this change that he was basically RESPONSIBLE for bringing about... :( if he were still on the RSV, he would've been my choice for championship title winner this year in place of haga.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
GO HAGA!!!(sorry just had to throw that in there) /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Go BOSTROM!!!!

(check mate!)...

<font color=yellow>Zoom,Zoom,Zoom</font color=yellow>
<font color=yellow>MOVE OVER COMIN' THRU</font color=yellow>

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Bostrom was the man when Haga was in GP....but as soon as Haga returned he's once again my fav

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
That bike looks better everytime I see it...especially that works swinger. You called it, man!

I'm curious though, why is Corser your pick? My picks would be any of the top 4 right now. Both the Duc riders proved that they had what it took last season. Edwards, well, he's good AND, he's on a RC so I have to have hope./images/icons/smile.gif Finally, my gut tells me that Haga and Aprilia have what it takes to win it all. He's my top pick, even though he's not as experienced. That's the only drawback that I see so far.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Regarding the exhaust and duals question perhaps the race team will use duals on longer tracks. Ducati regularly changes the exhaust tube diameter based on track configuration. Duals should work best on longer high speed tracks that require high rpm running. Honda also switches back and forth from singles to duals. Function not fashion rules racing.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rum, keep in mind... my pic of corser would've been solely if he had stayed with aprilia. certainly not now that he's onto the FPR project. i may have not made that entirely clear. he basically had the mille developed around his input. and after 2 seasons of "gelling" with the bike, it's bound to payoff. heck, LAST year was supposed to have been his championship winning year, but it got derailed. :( he was the king of superpole in '00... and essentially, point blank... "he's fast as greased arseholes". LOL

and i probably should add, my pic was not just based on his obvious talent and skill, but also the dedication to winning and the engineering prowess of the owner of the aprilia marque... ivanno beggio. imo, the mille is far and away, the best engineered bike stock to ever be sold for public consumption. even foggy has said regarding corser, when him and the bike are 100%... "there's no guy faster". and as we all know, foggy would sooner get "rectal cancer" than bestow praise upon others. LOL

ris, were you perhaps meaning to post in this thread...?

http://esport.sportbikes.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=roadracing&Number=15203&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
what benifit does the change to the swingarm bring to the bike. being a non engineering sort i am curious and grateful for info.

craig#222wsmc

its all in the transitions

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well your an architect... so your close enough imo. the two disciplines overlapped a great deal at my last company. we had one or two on staff. i'm sure you've already guessed it's for strength and uniform stiffness.

i'll try to recount my previous explanation before the boards crashed... if you can, look at the swingarm on a stock mille. you'll notice that it's asymmetrical. it's got triangular bracing on the left (chain side) and the right has the "banana shaped" style that a gp swingarm would have to give clearance for the large expansion chamber "tuned" pipes that "2-smokes" have. while maybe lighter due to the lack of reinforcing triangulation, the trade off is strength and stiffness on that right side.

while not a 2-stroke of course... the stock mille (unlike most other twins ie. rc51, 996, tl) utilises a single system exiting on the right. being that it's a subsitituting a single exit pipe for the usual 2, the diameter has to be significantly larger. so it seems, the design team in noale figured it would be cool to add both function and a "gp-esque" styling touch to the mille's design. after all, heretofore, aprilia's racing heritage had been gp's.

well they were right, it is cool...!!! that stock swinger is a sweet piece o' kit. as far as i know, it was the first to weld together both castings and extrusions for a production bike. it's relatively labor intensive compared to just welding together extrusions as is usually done. it's primarily reserved for frames. yamaha's did it with striking effect on the original R1 frame. then aprilia did it for both the frame and the swingarm for the mille. and now honda's using it for both the new swingarms on the 954 and the rc-51.

sadly, while "good enough for government work"... the use of it's asymmetrical design in the heavy weight 4-stroke class of WSBK, was letting troy corser down. the fact that they've taken to changing it, seems indicative it was clearly contributing to the "mysterious" tire problems corser complained of from the very first round last year...??? i guess the figured, hey... all the other manufacturers (ie. kawi, suzi, honda & ducati) substitute "works" swingarms... why not us...? it seems that during the off season ('00-'01), whitveen, had found the much needed extra power they were looking for, but under "race conditions" it was being revealed that the stock swinger hadn't kept up with the pace of developments. me thinks they were just SOOOOO focused on increasing the power, they overlooked the need to develop the chassis along with it...? needless to say... that was a CRITICAL engineering oversite... :(

and the fact that they seemed to be ignoring corser's contentions that something was wrong...? only made things worse. it seems so F'n shortsided, that after you were SOOOO trusting of his obvious talent and willing to develop the bike around him based on his input... why would you suddenly, NOT LISTEN TO HIM NOW...!?!?!?!? somebody should've gotten FIRED, but it wasn't supposed to have been corser. i see this swingarm as a vindication of all his complaints voiced from the very FIRST round of valencia last year. corser's clearly a better man than me, 'cause i'd be pointin' fingers and shoutin' I TOLD YOU SO...!!! from the hill tops. LOL

after all, in the quest for power, whitveen had already long "chucked" the single exhaust and adopted a dual system. they obviouly weren't experiencing clearance problems on the chain side, so the "cut out" provided by the "boomerang" on the right side was now redundant and prioritized "form" over "function". as we all know, it should be the other way 'round. :) so it seems they've taken some of the faceted "hav-blue" skunk works design elements from the swinger of the "RS-cube" and built themselves (and haga) something better. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts