·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HMC: "Unable to Form Necessary Bond"
From AMAsuperbike.com--By Dean Adams

Sunday, March 17, 2002

This press release just came to us from HMC Racing:

HMC Ducati Racing must with great regret announce the termination of its working relationship with Pascal Picotte. The team and rider were not able to form the necessary bond needed to be successful in such a demanding sport and the difficult decision was made shortly after the Daytona 200 this month.

Team owner Mitch Hansen blames no one for the break in the union. "We have every respect for Pascal and his riding talent," he said. "It's unfortunate that we were unable to find that necessary chemistry with Pascal. We wish Pascal all the success for the future and we wanted to cease the union early enough for Pascal to find another, more appropriate, ride to finish the rest of the season."

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bombshell: HMC Ducati & Picotte Part Ways
From AMAsuperbike.com--By Dean Adams

Sunday, March 17, 2002

In a surprise move, after just a single race together, HMC Ducati Team Owner Mitch Hansen and rider Pascal Picotte have ended their professional relationship.

Sources close to the situation say that Picotte will no longer ride for the team, and that Hansen is in the process of signing another rider to pilot the HMC Ducati.

It's a surprise move because the relationship between HMC and Picotte seemed to be full of promise. Picotte was overjoyed to back on a competitive V-Twin Superbike, while Hansen was happy to have a rider capable of winning again. Pre-season testing went well with Picotte literally grinning as he awaited swinging a leg over the machine in the pit lane at Daytona.

Yet, last week at Daytona one could watch the relationship between Picotte and the team degrade as the days passed.

When asked at Daytona to comment on the rumors that Picotte and the team were not getting along (Picotte was said to be unhappy with the caliber and management of the crew supplied to him by Hansen)a team source said that there had been some rough water, but that all had been worked out between them.

Seven days later, Picotte was released from his agreement with the team.

Neither side was overly happy with the current situation since Daytona and Hansen moved to end the relationship.

Presumably, he is signing a new rider for the HMC Ducati.

·
Registered
81 Posts
WOW! Unexpected to say the least.

Talk about cutting your losses..... how else can you explain severing a relationship after only one race.

·
Registered
623 Posts
That really sucks for Pascal.

Any word on who will replace him? I wonder if Doug Chandler will get the call. I was suprised he wasn't hired to ride the V-twin in the first place.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Yeah, looks like Chandle. Too bad for Picotte./images/icons/frown.gif I wonder if he can't hook up a decent ride this late in the year? I wouldn't be surprised to see him do a few CDN Superbike rounds this year just to stay in shape.

kman

<font color=red>Live it</font color=red> <font color=blue>></font color=blue> <font color=red>Ride it</font color=red> <font color=blue>></font color=blue> <font color=red>Race it</font color=red>

·
Registered
623 Posts
This from Cycle News:

Fired Without Warning
Ousted HMC Ducati rider Pascal Picotte says he had no idea that he would be fired from the team after just one race, and that he’s had no communication whatsoever with team owner Mitch Hansen since he left Daytona International Speedway on Sunday afternoon, March 10.

“I never talked to him [Hansen],” Picotte said today. “He never returned my phone calls after Daytona. I’m really, really, really surprised. I thought he [Hansen] was special, a really kind man. I thought he had a lot of passion for racing and I thought the chemistry between us was really good. We had good tests, I worked well with the engineer they sent over from Italy. We went to Daytona and I kept hearing from them that I was the right person for the program. I missed the front row by a 10th of a second and he [Hansen] hugged me and told me how proud he was of me.”

According to Picotte, there was a single problem with the team’s current crew chief, but it was nothing that couldn’t be resolved.

“He’s a great mechanic, but he’s just in the wrong position. I didn’t want him fired or anything. It was nothing that we couldn’t have fixed by just sitting down and talking.”

Then Picotte was approached by Hansen and asked if he would like to have Gary Medley [the current engine builder at Kawasaki] as his crew chief.

”I said sure, loaded my stuff and he [Hansen] gave me another hug,” Picotte said. “He told me again that I was the right person for the program. He said he was going to be loyal to me over the next few years, whether he ran with Ducati or some other manufacturer. The next thing I know, Alan [Labrosse – Picotte’s manager] calls me and told me that was it. We were done. I just don’t understand.”

According to Picotte, he didn’t have a contract with the team, but one was promised.

”I really trusted him [Hansen],” Picotte said. “We had a verbal agreement and a contract was supposed to be there [at Daytona], but it wasn’t. I had a lot of trust in him and I just don’t get it. I thought he was such a gentleman, but I turned my back and got stabbed. He never returned my call – the last time I saw Mitch Hansen he hugged me. Now his press release said they are letting me go in time to get another job – there are no other jobs.”

Current speculation has Medley leaving Kawasaki to join the HMC Ducati team as its crew chief – with Doug Chandler as its new rider. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
From amasuperbike.com

And just when you think everything has been prepared for a return by three time Superbike champion Doug Chandler to Superbike racing on the HMC Ducati team, several details pop up that might throw an anvil in that threshing machine.

Well placed rumor # 1: The Austin Blue Bayou Superbike team, which ran Jordan Szoke on VR1000s last year, is in the process of buying some 2001-spec Ducati Superbikes (ex-Pegram) from Ducati North America.

Well placed rumor # 2: Austin/ Blue Bayou is purchasing 2002 Testa' engines from Ducati Corse in Italy to slot into those 2001 chassis.

Well placed rumor # 3: Austin/ Blue Bayou has set a goal of racing at the next round of the series, at California Speedway.

Well placed rumor # 4: The rider they are trying to sign? John Douglas Chandler.

Which, in total, bring about an interesting question. If Chandler rides the Austin/Blue Bayou bike, and Picotte is fired from the HMC team, who, then, rides for HMC?

What? No! We can't stop here! This is bat country!

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Which, in total, bring about an interesting question. If Chandler rides the Austin/Blue Bayou bike, and Picotte is fired from the HMC team, who, then, rides for HMC?

<hr></blockquote>

ME! Me, me, me, me! Please God, let it be me! The M in HMC should be for Mofferman!
Of course, HMC could also stand for How Mofferman Crashes, coming soon to a highlight reel near you!/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts