Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
748 + big bore kit = ????

Anyone have any experience with this? Pros/cons? No worries?

If I put what I wanted in this signature, I would piss too many people off.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The following prices include Freight and Prep but not tax or licencse fees:

2002 model 748
Retail $14,283
Locally Available For $12,999

2002 model 748s
Retail $15,583
Locally Available For $13,999

2001 model 996
Retail $17,883
Locally Available For $13,499

So that means out here in California, you can get a brand new '01 996 for about the same or maybe even less than what an '02 748 with big bore kit would cost you, have more cc's and a stock (more reliable) bike and not affect the warranty. No, IMO a big-bore kit is not a good idea. I don't know how prices are in Florida.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
To my knowledge, there are 3 kits available....800cc, 855cc, 890cc. I've heard nothing but good things about the 855 kit. With the kit installed, aftermarket exhaust, a remap/chip, ferracci got 112HP to the ground.

James Nunez
Monster Hooligan
http://www.motowheels.com
Sacto, CA

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<14k for a 996 is a great deal, but still a little out of reach and definately a pipe dream in FL! So I'm looking at closer to 8 or so for a 99 or so 748.

Monster - this opens another can of worms. Are there different manufacturers for the kits or one specific? Where do you get them?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I know Ferracci has a kit. DP has a kit too. I think there's about 5 different "brands" available.. but in all actuallity I believe there is only 2 manufacturers. I can get them out of Italy (sometimes),from one of the 2 manufacturers. Your best bet is to look around online. I've got some info stashed somewhere on the whole kit... I'll have to find it. I'm looking at buying a 748 and turning it into a naked bike. One of the things on the to do list was to throw a big bore kit in.

James Nunez
Monster Hooligan
http://www.motowheels.com
Sacto, CA

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I'd just go with a 996 or 998 and get a few more cc's and add some goodies to it at a later date. Won't have a warranty problem then.

First rule of driving, what is behind me is not important!!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Monster - Thanks again! Looks like I've got a bit more investigating to do here. I'll see what I can come up with and run it by you guys.

coujer - Sounds like a great udea, but I'll be starting with a 99 or bike, which means warranty is gone anyway and it's aout $9000 less to start with. Hell, I'd love to go out and my a 996R or 998, but it just ain't happening.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
i ran across a racer at summit who had a big bore kit in his 748 and he said it's been "bulletproof". however, the guy who i just sold my 996 motor to (for his 748) was planning to opt for the big bore kit, but had fears that he might want "more" power and then he'd be left "ass out" after having spent a hefty sum on the kit and motor work... :(

he figured it was just ultimately better to have the larger motor... and even ferracci's has a 155hp 1026cc stroker kit for that mill for those feelin' "gixxer envy"... LOL

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link, very interesting. Every time I think I've decided, someone gives me more information that steers me another direction!

155HP!!!!! Wow, I'm thinking I should also get a will.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Greeeeeat, not I run into yet another question. Well, Sigma sounds like the real deal! Unfortunately, shipping a Duc to England for the "full monty" would be a real pain in the arse (not to mention the pocketbook.) SO.... what's the difference between the Sigma 853 kit and the FBF 855 kit? (Um, I figured out the 2cc part, thanks.) /images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts