Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

In January, I'll be ordering a pair of new boots and have been looking at either the Alpinestars SM-X Plus boots, or SIDI Vertebra 2 series. Anybody have either of these that can offer an opinion, on how they fit at least? I wear a size 10 in just about everything, so I'm thinking I'll need a Euro size 45 in either of these boots?

Can anybody tell me how close the sizing is on either of these brands, and/or how they feel and fit over leather pants/suits?

Thanks a bunch.

Rem :help:

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Always try gear on , dont rely on charts . So when is the last time you mail ordered shoes you have never tried on , probably never , its a gamble if youll like them

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
terrasmak said:
Always try gear on , dont rely on charts . So when is the last time you mail ordered shoes you have never tried on , probably never , its a gamble if youll like them

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice.

I'm looking at the exact two boots. Though: I'm leaning towards the AStars... I'm going to try them on at the bike show here in January.
The Sidi's... I wear an 11 Doc Marten; the 11.5 Sidi was a little tight and the 12.5 was way too big (unless I had thick work socks)... there's no size 12...

Get them from a local shop: try them on and see if they'll match the price you found online (or at least come close; since they *did* let you try them on)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have the Vert II's and love them. Very comfy and very good protection. I have 2 friends with the SMX's and they're happy with those. I don't think you can go wrong either way, it's just a matter of fit and styling preference.

My experience with sizing was the Vert II's run pretty true to size and standard width. The SMX's seemed to be a bit wider and about a 1/2 size large. As they guys have said, best to try them on if you can.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I wore Vertebras for two years and recently bought a pair of SMX-Plus. Having worn both pairs, my personal findings are as follows:

Sidi Vertebra: very comfortable, almost full range of motion, durable enough for two full riding seasons with only cosmetic wear. One low speed lowside and tumble in grass and down an embankment with no visible damage.

Alpinestars SMX-Plus: very comfortable, limited range of movement and feels like it offers more protection than the Vertebras.

Because the SMX-Plus offer the inner laced soft boot, the fit is much more snug. The armor is a bit more substantial which leads to the decrease in range of movement.

Both boots are very good, but I think the Alpinestars are a better overall boot. There is nothing wrong with the Sidis at all, but the Alpinestars offer more features.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I love my Oxtar TCS boots. Much better bang for the buck factor if you ask me. Fit great & they are/were? the only CE aproved boots.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have the Sidi Vertigo White. Super comfy and light. I also like the fact that they have a considerably slimmer design, i.e. you can stuff them under your jeans/pants if you want to.

As far as sizing goes, I have a pretty wide foot. My usual shoe is a 11 ~ 11.5 but I had to get 12.5(47 EU) Sidi. They fit perfect.

I also like the fact that most armor pieces are replacable on the Sidi boot. The A-Stars have the bionic stuff inside the outer shell of the boot.

I like both just as good.

-Nick

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up with the Alpinestars SMX-Plus racing boots...and they are the bomb...I love them. Comfortable, easy shifting, and easy to walk in as well. Two thumbs up.

Rem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts