Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Well, I've created a monster. My g/f (Buttercup) rode my 900SS on the way back from Bike Week and now all she can talk about is getting a Ducati. Ok, ok, so maybe its me doing a lot of the talking. Anyhoo, she wants to keep her CBR 600F4 but wants to get a 900SS. My logic is since we already have an SS in the garage, why not join the single-sided swingarm social set. I've ridden several 916s and 996s but have yet to swing a leg over a 748. While, I will do so before we get one, I'd love to hear some opinions from some current/former 748 owners. Duc748??? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
I could tell you all the good things but I'll start with the bad; it won't take as long this way /images/icons/wink.gif. Remember, this is stuff I have a problem with.

1) On long boring trips via highway where I'm not shifting or doing much in the way of cornering my legs go numb from the peg vibration. I'm talking about 6th gear, maybe 6-7K and running about 80ish constant...the buzz kills my feet and lower legs. Sometimes I can stretch a leg out and fix it and sometimes I stretch a leg out and my hip cramps/locks multiplying my discomfort. LOL /images/icons/laugh.gif

2) The clip-ons are really low and for alot of saddle time expect some discomfort in the wrists and/or lower back. I'm sure alot of it depends on your level of fitness, I need to do alot more stretching before I ride.

3) People say that Ducati is a chick magnet...where are all the chicks!? <font color=green>I should have bought a Ninja!</font color=green> /images/icons/laugh.gif/images/icons/wink.gif

I'll try to rattle up everything I like about the bike and continue this thread when I've left work. /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
I guess it all depends on what you are after. The gearing on the 748 is closer and requires more frequent shifting than the 996.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
The way I look at it - My Weight slows down a bike too much - I like eating - Therefore - It's easier for me to pay for some ponies than los some weight!!!/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
But eating less would save money and wouldn't require a larger bike which saves you even more money. How can you lose? /images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
664 Posts
I agree with John on #1 and #2. However, last Sunday whilst taking a jaunt on my '02 748S, I got plenty of looks from the womens. I was just too busy with the huge grin on my face to pay them any mind.

G

·
I ride with a group of five riders who own recent model Japanese sport bikes. Anytime we park somewhere for fuel/eats, bystanders walk right up to the 748, and pay no mind to the other fine machines... The Ducati always gets center of attention... even people who aren't into motorcycles have interest in it...

"Viva Ducatisti" /images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone... This is exactly what I was looking for. I can only learn so much on a 1-2 hour test ride (I've got a nice dealer). These long term issues are the things that won't raise their heads until after the purchase. Well, so far, nothing we see is a deterrent. Oh, and Noud, she is a tad apprehensive regarding the torque of the 998 and I want her to feel comfortable on whatever she buys. Plus, she likes the older bodywork and doesn't care for the slab-sided flanks of the 998. Also, the 996 is a tad out of our price range. Getting the 748 or 748S will stretch things thin as it is... Thanks again everyone.

Regards,

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

1-2 hour test ride

<hr></blockquote>

Wow, you have an awesome dealer!! Must be nice /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,205 Posts

1-2 hour test ride

<hr></blockquote>

where is this?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Winko, the dealer is Cycle Riders of Longwood, Florida (near Orlando). My g/f and I have a great relationship with them. (Shoot, she's bought three bikes off of them in the past couple of years...). It is a pretty cool situation. When I'm interested in something, they toss me the keys and say "See you later". I was there getting my bike serviced one day and my friend (one of the salesmen) told it was too nice of a day to sit around. He let me take my pick of the used bikes they had for sale and ride it for the day. I just never try to abuse this great situation. Plus, we are friends with a lot of the people that work there on a social level as well. Good people.

Dream...I recently rode an RSV and thought it was a fantastic bike. But, it just didn't stir my soul like the Duc does. It's just something I can't put my finger on. Plus, the 748/916/996/998 are so beautiful, if I get one I'll have to put it on a turntable in my living room with mood lighting. Heck, who needs home theater when you have one of these??? /images/icons/laugh.gif

Regards,

JoBu

·
Registered
108 Posts
748 is a fantastic bike, however, after few years on it you start to think about wanting more power, thus, thoughts of a 996 cross my mind...

I installed Ferracci bar risers or whatever they are called and it made the bike much more comfortable on long trips

Hey, post a pic of your G/F on Ducati, it's a rare sight!

·
Registered
664 Posts
wsbk, I hear that comment alot about power, whether it's about the Ducati 748 or any other lower displacement sportbike.

My personal opinion is that it all depends on the rider. I've been riding motorcycles for 17 years now and, up until I recently purchased my '02 748s, I'd never had a sportbike larger than a 600. My last 3 bikes were a GSXR, an F3 and an F4. To each their own, but I certainly don't find the 748 "lacking" in power by any means. I guess I just don't see the need to go any faster than I already do (and I'm not conservative by any stretch of the imagination), especially when 99% of the riding isn't on a track. /images/icons/smile.gif

Also, I was told by many people that the difference in power between my F4 and the 748s would be negligable. On the contrary, I can tell a noticeable difference. It just pulls alot harder, which is where the twin comes into play, I'm sure. Plus, it sounds a million times better. Gawd, I love my Duc!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Also, I was told by many people that the difference in power between my F4 and the 748s would be negligable. On the contrary, I can tell a noticeable difference. It just pulls alot harder, which is where the twin comes into play, I'm sure.

<hr></blockquote>

Thanks Wingman...these are the things I'm looking for. I've also heard that the power between the F4 (her current bike) and the 748 would be very close. I'll have to take her bike when I go to do the test ride so I can do a back-to-back comparison.

Regards,

JoBu

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts

I ride with a group of five riders who own recent model Japanese sport bikes. Anytime we park somewhere for fuel/eats, bystanders walk right up to the 748, and pay no mind to the other fine machines... The Ducati always gets center of attention... even people who aren't into motorcycles have interest in it...

<hr></blockquote>

Alright...here's the lovely area I live in. Autobahn and I are at Wendys chompin' down some food on one of our rides when I see this kid with long black hair and a heavy metal t-shirt circle the bikes starting with mine and ending with Auto's. I'm watching him just to be on the safe side and eventaully he finishes up his window shopping and comes into the resturaunt and walks straight for us.

"Dooooooooooooood...is that your Ninja!?" I told him it was my friend's bike and he completely forgot I was there and went on to say he'd never seen a real Ninja before and blah blah blah. LOL /images/icons/laugh.gif

Then again I was in a McDonalds once and this beat up skinny Harley looking dude wanted to know who owned the Ducati and he told me it was a really tight bike. /images/icons/smile.gif

if I get one I'll have to put it on a turntable in my living room with mood lighting.

<hr></blockquote>

I'm sure Desmo will let you use his GIF so that you can take the bike outside for a ride occasionally. /images/icons/wink.gif

BTW , just so ya know... YELLOW is faster ;)

<hr></blockquote>

Faster to get dirty! /images/icons/laugh.gif I do prefer the yellow (now) over the red but just be prepared for the cleaning required on the frontal area of the bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good to see another girl on a Ducati. I prefer yellow myself. My 748 is my first bike, but after taking the safty course I have felt very comfortable on it. Just know that the bike you are buying is for your girlfriend. Let her ride it more. After getting the feel you will want to be on it more. My bf did, and he has a 996sps.

Me and duchess.
Picture downloading
Please wait a few more months.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts