Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is someone finally going to publish a shootout between the three big guns this year? I absolutely love my 954, it is unbelievable to ride, compared to my old '97 900 and '00 929. I'm just curious to see how the magazines rate it vs. the off-brand bikes.

I read that MCN (Motorcyclenews.com) did a shootout, but you can only get it in the magazine itself, which is a European publication.

If anyone sees a shoutout..let us know.

My Prediction (Of course)

954 First as best all-around streetbike
R1 Second: great bike, handling/comfort not equal to 954
Gixxer1 Third, most power, lacking in handling and rideability
ZX9R a nice Sportcruiser, too heavy.

Enjoy your chosen mount and Ride Red!!!

When you see flashing lights...drop two and go!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Oh come on, you know they will pick the gixxer, suzuki, gives most perks and wine and dine the journalist with lobster, champagne and hookers!

·
Registered
967 Posts
No matter what the magazines say, I see no difference in these bikes but preference. At least they are finally chilling out with the color schemes. I hated the late 80's and early 90's colors friggin purple and yellow with green and pink on orange rims with neon windscreens and matching leathers to boot. (Thooper Dooper!!!)

·
Registered
698 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, MCN already did a liter-bike shootout (which included the Gixxer, R1, RR, and the 9R), but the article isn't on theor web site /images/icons/mad.gif.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Look at it this way...who ever dishes out the most MONEY will win the shoot-out.

Let other people be right sometimes...it soothes them for being nothing else!

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
It doesn't matter what the mags say, on the street the bikes are too close to tell. I think the R1 will win it on looks and image, but then again the "Mags" also call the ZX9 a "sport tourer", whatever.

HP is a poor substitute for experience and ability.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Apparently SportRider did a test for this months issue. Just have to wait for it to show up at my doorstep.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I feel bad for anyone who buys a bike based on a magazine article!
I don't think many people do it but who knows....
I shure as hell would not do it!
peace
plasti

2001 Honda RC51

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
the only way to get all the angle is to ride all the bikes for yourslef and make your own oppinion...I wish I had the money I would just buy them all.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I feel bad for anyone who buys a bike based on a magazine article!
I don't think many people do it but who knows....
I shure as hell would not do it!

<hr></blockquote>

I think there's more of them then any of us realize.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the R1 and the 954 are within a gnat's c*ck of each other, with the Suzuki being the clear leader in horespower and racing conditions.

For the street, how can anyone really choose betwen the R1 and the 954? They're both unbelieable I'm sure. It all comes down to color, brand loyalty.

Oh, the kawasaki..yeah right.

·
Registered
61 Posts
MO has no respect among the biking community it seems. I mean they're comparo results are never the result of valid arguments. After you read it, you're still shaking your head. The only advantage they have is their our first, but I doubt anyone listens to only MO and not any of the magazines, so that kind of moots the point of being first to publish. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I read one shootout online between the 3.
I think it was on 2wf.com (not sure)
They ranked the them this way

R1
954 really close second (basically came down to they liked the R1 looks better)
GSXR1K

They said both the Honda and R1 were much more refined,
and handled better.
The GSXR they described as unstable, and its power
uncontrollable (although higher)

Is winter over yet?

·
Registered
698 Posts
/images/icons/mad.gif That article only proves why these magazines are bullshit. It wasn't too long ago that the Gixxer was "Bike Of The Year" and now all of a sudden, it's 3rd place. The same bike that gave them their best track times is now unmanageable. I don't particularly care for the Gixxer and I prefer the R1 over the 954, but the magazines really need to start being a little more consistent with their reviews.

"The new GSX-R1000 satisfies every craving one could ever have for handling, speed, speed and more speed. Better than the R1? I'm afraid so. It seems to have more of everything everywhere, except at the very bottom of the RPM range. I can live with that."

-2WF.com on the 2001 Gixxer 1000

I think the Gixxer's 3rd place finish just one year later had more to do with the reviewer wiping out on the bike.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sure, I have been telling you guys this for years! Thats why I ride a Daytona, it's the sleeper of sportbikes. I have talked to enough journalist and factory reps to get the real scoop and the latest poop! But back to the post, it's all about selling magazines and subscriptions to goobers that hang on their every word! Come on guys, America was made by leaders, not followers!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts