Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, you guys\' turn

I've been pestering the Duc folks about their bikes, now its your turn. I've actually come accross more good deals on Mille's than I thought I would. I may have to go without a bike at all for awhile if I decide on Aprilia, because my favorite...of every single model I've ever looked at... is the black 2001 Mille R. So that means I need more dough for the down payment. (Sometimes I wish I had bad taste, it would be cheaper.) I want to know the usual; common problems, maintenance issues..et., etc.

Let the games begin!

If I put what I wanted in this signature, I would piss too many people off.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Re: Okay, you guys\' turn

Maintenance-wise, I think there's no question the Aprilias are better/easier. Valve inspections are every 10K, I had 2 loose exhaust valves (same cylinder) at the 20K inspection. All else can be performed by you, in your driveway. My dealer sees my bike once a year for valves, adn that's it.

I have 24,000 miles (and holding due to wayward cell-yakking SUV pilot) with no failures. Replaced the clutch at 18K. It was $150 for the complete kit - figure $250 total for a dealer to do the work) I also managed to warp the stock rotors at a track day. They had 14K on them and I was still running the original pads. (Shoulda replaced 'em.)

The stock battery is kinda marginal for the job: Replacing it with a Westco SVR14 (240 CCA versus 200) solved that little problem. You'll know when it's time - The dash may reset on start up...

2000's had a dodgy kickstand interconnect switch. Fixed in later production, and Aprilia issued a replacement which dealers installed for free.

I have heard some horror stories about @$$hole dealers - So my advice would be to check out the dealer more than the bike itself.

Scott /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
104 Posts

850 miles so far, no problems... STill have a HUGE grin on my face! I LOVE the 01 R!!! The wheels, the ohlins shocks, OMG that bike is LOADED! Then comes exhaust systems... oooo this is fun! I'd say if you spent the money you'd be insanely happy!

·
Registered
67 Posts

Red falco, prettiest bike they make, 18,800 miles, valves in spec at 16,5k, first time dealer saw bike since break-in. Haven't had any real battery problems, but thought it might be a little weak. Starter relay failed about 15k, replaced with Yamaha unit from salvage, bike didn't reject transplant, freeway drone, track days, chores around town, choppy back roads, sweet canyon swooping, the Aprilia delivers.
Larry
did I mention she's red?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

As a former Ducati owner, I can tell you that both bikes are phenomenal bikes, but the ducati is more finicky, and requires you to be more flexible with all the eccentricities of the brand. They both make similar horsepower numbers, and for the money, the Mille R offers better-quality suspension components. The maintainence is/was more expensive on my ducati, and so far, (1500 miles) the Aprilia Mille R, (2001 model) that I bought last december, has had nary a hiccup. It handles like a dream, sounds great, - I put a full Arrows system on it, and pulls like a freight train at just about any rpm. I get lots of compliments on the bike, just like when I owned a duc, but now I don't have to spend the extra money for suspension upgrades, braided steel brake lines, carbon fiber fenders, etc. The Aprilia gives a lot for the money, but both brands are great bikes. I just personally feel that the Mille gives you a bit more for your money. You can email me directly if you have any questions. [email protected] Ride Safe.

·
Registered
380 Posts

RSV-R has adjustable (Ohlins) steering damper. Maybe newer ducati's do, but last year's 996 didn't have adjustable.

More comfortable, that's for sure, and ohlins front and rear is something you don't get on a price-equivalent 996.

And RSV-R Brembos are better than 996 brembo's. Maybe that's changed in the last year? Anywho, maintenance wise the 2001 RSVR has been totally trouble free for me. I love the plastic tank; you MUST derestrict the bike, and get a new prom/pipe to de-EPA the power curve! :)

Oh, did I mention the slipper clutch? What a dream! Try downshifting a ducati, careful not to lock that rear tire up! RSV-R's slipper clutch helps sooooooooo in preventing a back tire chirp if you let out the clutch too fast on a downshift.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Wow - thanks for all the responses! I still have more investigating to do, but I'm glad I got the info I have so far. If I can stuble upon a deal on a Mille, it looks like it may be the way to go. If I could fudge a little more on my budget, it would probably be at the top of the list already. I hate these decisions...

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

I've already told 130Gunner about this deal, but I thought I'd share it with the Aprilia folks because it might not work out for him. There is a new '00 RSV-R, gloss black, here at the dealer advertised at $13k. I think that's a good deal, and I would think a serious buyer could haggle a little.

I tried to steer him to that bike, since the Aprilia seems to give more bang for the buck. Not to mention they are pretty scarce around here, and they're beautiful. Just not my cup 'o tea though.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yeah - somebody else buy this thing because I can't right now. After I finally got to looking hard enough, there are deals to be had down here too - if ya dig. /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

Actually 13k doesn't sound like that great of a deal for a 2 year old leftover. I believe the MSRP on the '00 Mille R was only 13,999 or something like that.

<font color=red>MAD</font color=red><font color=white>FAL</font color=white><font color=blue>CO!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

Erik, drop me a line at [email protected] I am getting married soon, and it looks like I'll have to sell my '01 Black/Red Mille R. It has a full Arrows superbike system on it, ignition amp, fuel pressure regulator, tail light/turn signal integrator, and rear fender eliminator. I have 1100 miles on the bike, and just put green-compound Pirellis on it too, plus I have all the stock parts. Hate to do this, seeing as I know I'm gonna lose my ass here, but there will be other bikes. I'll make you a great deal if you're interested. The bike is perfect in every way.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts

Nick - The original MSRP on all the Mille R's was 17K...

REV - I rode my bike from NJ to Deals Gap and Back with no troubles, and would (plan on, actually) do it again with no hesitation. Besides, a Mille is not only a better street ride than an RC, it turns better times at the track as well. You *do* read the reviews, don't you?

Scott /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

Nick, that's why I mentioned it here! I knew the Aprilia guys would know a good deal if they saw one. I thought the MSRP for the '00 RSV-R was more around $15k-$16k, but apparently not!/images/icons/wink.gif Like I mentioned earlier they had two, and one just sold, so my guess is they are open to negotiation. They also have an '01 RSV in red.

Stan, I'm not sure I understand.......I'm not in the market for a bike, and am quite happy with my 996. Perhaps you want 130gunner to contact you?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

Yep, sorry, meant Gunner to contact me. I'll make him a sweet deal if he's interested in a 2001 Mille R.

·
Registered
138 Posts

I read reviews and I also race. Most of the reviews are written by one of my very good friends, Glenn LeSanto. I can lap faster on any late model 600 than a Mille or a 51. The street versions, IN MY OPINION, both SUCK on the track.

The 51 will ABLSOLUTELY destroy the Mille top speed. And once properly set up it has a superior suspension (not comparing the R)

The Aprilia, In my opinion, is considerably more reliable than a Ducati Hypersport. But you dont actually believe they build a more reliable bike than Honda do you?

Jersey to deals gap is nice jaunt. My 51 has over 40k miles on it. I would take it first on a long trip. I wouldnt take a 40k+mile Aprlia coast to coast.

-REV
www.REVolutionSuperbikes.com

·
Registered
191 Posts

I work in an Aprilia dealer and this is what i have seen...Falcos...sliding ring and bushing on water pump 2000 miles flasher relay rear 4600 miles oil pressure sensor 4600 miles...Futura...Sliding ring and bushing water pump...My bike 2001 falco...No problems yet 2500 miles...except for 600 mile braek in service...front valve had to be shemed 2000th 360.00 less my dealer discount...So far so good on everything else...

Later zixxer

Big Fish Eat Little Fish ---->>><<<----

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

simme001 - Interested? I'm about as interested in a 01 R as one can get. I'm also interested in a 911 Turbo - and I probably have about the same chance of owning one. The 01 Mille R in black is my favorite bike. (Although I would just shoot myself if I had to choose between it and a new 998.) However, comma, The good ole US Air Force isn't paying me enough to get one right now. I'd love to take it off your hands, but for me to afford it, well; lets just say you would definately be "losing your ass"! /images/icons/laugh.gif But just out of curiosity, you can email me and let me know what you want for it if you get bored. [email protected]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts