Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of oil is best for speed triple???

<font color=blue>I <font color=red>TRIPLE</font color=red> dog dare ya!!!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I like the Triumph Mobil 1 synthetic, a little pricey, but I have never had any engine problems in 3 bikes and 4 cars.
Most of the cars had over 100,000 miles and I bought them new.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
376 Posts
I second the Mobil 1, but only use the 15-50, it doesnt have the additive for catalytic converters on cars. Anyway, last oil change I thought I would go for the Mobil Synthetic Motorcycle Oil at$7.99 a quart because it was 10-40 for the colder weather. I could only take about 800 miles with the stuff, the transmission felt like a crunch box, and on takeoff the clutch was grabby, stay away from the stuff and stick to the regular Mobil 1 15-50 and spend half as much.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'll thrown in Motul. Pretty much the same price as the Mobil, but seems to smooth the shifting some. Have heard from a friend who heard from a friend that the 15w-?? stuff is waht Triumph would like to recommend, but they have some sort of deal with Mobil, for whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I use the Triumph Brand Mobil 1, sold in a big jug, which you can pick up at the local dealer or Motorcycle specific, sold in quarts, which you can get at most better autoparts stores. The Triumph brand say it is designed for Triumph engines, That might be true.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Serp, Is the auto specific Mobil 1 ok for wet clutches. I read somewhere not to use that type, because it lacks some kind of additive for motorcycle engines and clutches.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
anybody know how much i need???

<font color=blue>I <font color=red>TRIPLE</font color=red> dog dare ya!!!</font color=blue>

G

·
I use the Mobil1 (API SJ car) 15W50 every 2000 miles (since full run in) or Castrol Syntec 5W50 (if I can't get Mobil). 4500 miles on the odo, Changed at 500, 1500, 2500 miles so far. No issues to report. Clutch doesn't slip or grab, Oil comes out clean every change.
Of course, I baby my triple and it rarely gets above 6k-7k rpm. If I rode it harder, I would be using the Triumph OEM Mobil product.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Due to the low mileage, no experience yet with my RS, but on my Ducati 750 - it has a wet clutch - automotive Mobil 1 15-50 has worked fine without any problems at all. Supposedly, there are "friction modifiers" in auto oils that can cause slippage in wet clutch motorcycle transmissions. That's what the motorcycle oil marketers say. Keep in mind that MC oil is sold at a very handsome profit by dealers, so there's a lot of incentive to get you to buy it.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Serp, Is the auto specific Mobil 1 ok for wet clutches. I read somewhere not to use that type, because it lacks some kind of additive for motorcycle engines and clutches.

<hr></blockquote>

I've heard the horror stories too and I was nervous at first but years later and I've done;
1100 Katana = 75,000 miles (crashed)
750 Nighthawk = 6,800 miles (crashed)
250 Nighthawk = 50,500 miles (still going)
ZR-7 Kaw = 33,000 miles (still going)
and none of the clutches ever had any work done to them nor did any of them ever slip.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Speedtrip. check the owners manual, if you dont have one, I will look at mine for you. Your speed trip cant be that much different than my ST. I cant remember from the last time I changed my oil.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I started out with Triumph/Mobel 1 full synth oil. I had a clutch start slipping and finaly go but this was because I take of from every light like it is a drag race /images/icons/wink.gif. Got 13,000 miles out of it so I was happy, I did some research in to SAE papers about oil. The only thing good about synthetic is it will hold its rated viscosity longer. So if you are changing your oil 2000 miles or so you are WASTING YOUR MONEY if you are buying full synth. I now just use standerd 1 dollar a quart mobil 10W40. I change it every 2000 miles or so. I will let every one know when my motor blows up. Also the standard 10W40 meets all the oil requirements spelled out in the service manual.

My proposal, every body switch to cheap 10W40 and pay me half the difference from full synth and I will buy you a new bike if there is ever an engine failer because of not using full synth. Note: proving an engine died early because of the wrong oil is almost impossible.

Let flaming begin!!! /images/icons/crazy.gif

“When the dogs are looking for their bones and it’s raining ice picks on your steel shores”

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm with 3Banger. Not too long ago i asked the head of a petroleum chemical company the same thing. His answer confirms what 3Bang said.
Synthetic oil does have the ability to resist thermal breakdown over an extended period of time exposed to heat. Most jet engines use synthetic for this reason. However, due to the short service intervals most people adhere to and the numerous additives introduced by manufacurers, thermal breakdown is less of a factor than lubricant contamination caused by the normal internal combustion process. End game 3Banger is saving money as long as his service intervals are not extended.

Rules are made to be broken.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Dont forget the other benifit of synth oil, longer intervals between oil changes. I change every 4000-4500 miles and the oil comes out very clean. I do not ride hard or do any track time, mostly touring miles. But you are right on the cost savings, but based how much a bike costs these days, I will stick with has worked with me.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

The only thing good about synthetic is it will hold its rated viscosity longer. So if you are changing your oil 2000 miles or so you are WASTING YOUR MONEY if you are buying full synth.

<hr></blockquote>

I was changing my oil every 2,500 miles using a 10W40 and cooked the oil in central Georgia in 105* temps with an air cooled motor ( didn't find out until I got to New York and changed the oil ) resulting in a wrist pin knock. Had I been wasting money on full synthetic I would still be using that motor. Now I have a motor that is 10 years older than the bike on full synthetic.
BTW oil viscosity starts to breakdown after 800 miles so if you're changing your oil every 800 miles and if you don't ride in temps over 90*F or have a good cooling system then you're wasting your money otherwise you're just gambling.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also use the Triumph brand 4T Mobil 1 Oil. I race on the stuff with no problems. YOu can pick it up at your local Trimph dealer or call mine 910-347-4050 for a jug :)

Your Speed Triple should take about 3.25-3.5 quarts with a filter change.

Bruce Brown
02 Triumph Daytona
97 MZ
AHRMA #919
communities.msn.com/BackRoadsRacingTeam/

1 - 20 of 38 Posts