Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1993 KLR 650 with about 13,500 miles on the clock. Everything was original. I replaced the front and rear sprockets, chain and added new brake pads and stainless steel lines. I also changed the oil with full synthetic. My problem is now it seems the bike has developed an oil leak. It seems the leak is coming either from the starter case or the portion of the engine behind it - (I have included a photo)

Any idea about a quick fix for this as I really don't want to put any more money into this bike - I was thinking maybe just cleaning off the area with a good contact cleaner and then running a thin bead of black silicone over the place where the leak seems to be coming from.

thanks in advance for you help - Mike

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I can't see the picture for the <font color=red>X</font color=red>

·
Registered
355 Posts
Could be the gasket for the engine case. I would clean the area with a spray on cleaner and look for the spot the oil is coming from. Then you can replace that gasket.

Also look for scuff marks on the side of the engine case. This will tell you that the bike has been laid down on the case in the past and it could be bent, a replacement case is your only option then. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Some gasket material is not compatible with full syn with the presence of "heat cycling". You may have to go back to Petro based lubricant. What vis are you using? I know this isn't a FOMOCO product, but it could happen- just the same.Did it start leaking when you changed oil? /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
eScreaming Dizbuster
12,112 Posts
When I got mine it was leaking oil from the oil pipe bolt under the starter. After some finagling I was able to get a wrench on it and give it a twist and that stopped it. I use synthetic oil with no problem.

T. Jones

·
Registered
938 Posts
Do you the manual? If so take a look at the section for installing the engine cover. Recently I read mine and from what I remember some covers being clutch or engine require gasket sealant just in certain spots. It could very well be that that is a trouble spot and a sealant is recommended. If so the best solution would be to remove the cover clean both surfaces replace the gasket and apply a good sealant to the trouble spots. Let it cure for at least several hours. The problem will be gone. For a sealant visit any auto parts store and buy a good high temp sealant specific to an oily application. The same type usually recommended for clutch covers.

·
eratbiker
3,826 Posts
I recomend searching for locktite blue or gold sealant they stay flexible even after they dried out and you can pour them in pure oil or even fuel and they wont desolve.

stay away from those so called anaerobic sealants they become solid as a rock but only if you seal them from air (like between 2 gasket surfaces) they do their job but i found that they leak much easyer then the rubber ones.

as for the locktite brand recomendation, i dont work for locktite but i never had a single product from them that didnt come up to or even went beond what they say it does.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts