Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 00 9R and was wondering when I should change the oil. It was changed at the 7500 mi service but that was back in Sept and I've it has 10,500 mi on it now.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Change it now. I would not go more than 3000 miles. I change mine every 1000-2000 depending on how hard i beat it. Mombo.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I change mine every 2500 miles when I ride locally and every 5000 miles when I'm on a road trip.

<font color=blue>Accelerate 'till you see God, then</font color=blue><font color=red> brake</font color=red>.

·
Registered
451 Posts
What they said. It's the absolute cheapest thing you can do to your bike to ensure it continues to perform reliably. It's not worth the $25 a year you'll save by waiting too long.

- Not everybody has what it takes to be a <font color=green>Kaw</font color=green><font color=purple>Boy</font color=purple> -

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
No doubt... Every 2000 miles kept me from spinning a bearing for about 12000 miles... Glad I was so good about changing my oil<sigh>

I will keep doing that, though... I really think it was a fluke...

Running in ultra high rev ranges probably did not help much, either/images/icons/frown.gif

Proud to be <font color=red>A</font color=red><font color=white>M</font color=white><font color=blue>E</font color=blue><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=white>I</font color=white><font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>A</font color=red><font color=white>N</font color=white><font color=blue>!</font color=blue>

<font color=white>SILVERBACK</font color=white>

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
you should not go over 2 miles on a oil change. especially if you are riding the bike hard and going short distances without warmup. its like 30 bucks and thats for full synth. takes 30 min. you oil is what removes all the debris and deposits from your motor and brings it to the filter. after many miles the oil is no longer able to hold these deposits in suspension and no longer cleans the motor and the actual oil will begin to breakdown. especially when you slip the clutch alot(extreme heat is produced with clutch slippage) or ride in brief sessions. the oil never reaches full operating temp and cools again.

its easy and cost effeciant. Ask any knoledgable mechanic.
thats why your oil is dark when u drain it, its all the carbon deposits and other dirt and debris. you can also cut you filter open to see if there is any metal in there. if there is your in trouble.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I usually get it in there every 2-3K miles. However, one short road trips, I do it right after. Example: I just came back from Havasu and was hitting high speeds/rpms often and twice for quite a while. On the freeway, not less than a hundred for about an hour. That oil is worthless.

Forgive & forget. Just never forget when I forgive.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

you should not go over 2 miles on a oil change.

<hr></blockquote>

LOL...and you end up with the only bike in history to wear out the drain plug before the motor breaks in./images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
938 Posts
I tend to change my oil around 3000 miles. I always change the filter and use AMSOIL synthetic Motorcycle oil. When i look at it as it drains I realize it would be a waste to change it any sooner. It comes out so clean I save some of it for the lawnmower.

Riding always makes me -->/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Personally, I change the oil every 1500 miles in my ZX-9R, and the filter every 3000 (or every other oil change).

<font color=green>Objects in Mirrors are <font color=red>LOSING!!</font color=red></font color=green>

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
should read 2000 miles. haha that would be a LITTLE extreme. as far as synthetic. do not use synth before at least 2k on a new bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts