Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never done an oil change on a bike before. Is there a site somewhere that has procedures? I just need to know where and how to get to the filter. Where teh drain/fill plug is... and if I need to buy anything other than a filter and oil. (Does the filter come with all necessary rings and/or washers?)

Thanks guys

O, the bike is a R6

·
Registered
127 Posts
It is recommended to change the drain plug washer each time you retighten. They cost pennies so order a handfull.
The best info you can get is in the manual. It tells you where everything is. Other than that...theres not much to it.

http://www.yzfr6.net/manual

Rocket Scientist on <font color=blue>R6</font color=blue>
http://u2.netgate.net/~waverave

·
Registered
158 Posts
TygGer, where in NoVa do you live? I'm right in Gainsville and work in Tyson.

If you need oil I would recommend going to Fast Lane Cycles in Chantilly. Their number is 703-818-8890. Don't worry if you hear female voices. Their front counter has a couple of ladies working there. /images/icons/wink.gif Whatever you do don't go to Power Ride Motorsports (formerly Coleman's), they charge way to much for everything.

I would recomend going with Motul semi-synthetic oil (5100). It does wonders with Yamaha's gearbox! It makes it nice and smooth.

Drop me a line and let me know if you want to go riding sometime. I'd also be happy to show you how to change the oil on the bike if you want. I do all of the work on my baby, well, besides mounting tires. What kind of bike do you have? The picture in your profile doesn't work.

Mo

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Mo,

Im in Fairfax Station. Ive been to fast lanes once and just forgot about them. Thanks for reminding me! I will try the Motul, but what weight should I go with? The manual recommends 2 different options. I downloaded the R6 Tech manual and I think Ill be ok changing the oil. But I appreciate the offer. When it comes time to change the coolant, bleed the brakes, etc... I may need your help the first time around. :D
Thanks Mo!

And everyone else thanks for replying!

·
Registered
158 Posts
TygGer, just go to Fast Lanes and asked them for the semi-synthetic blend Motul oil. I can't rememeber if it's called 5100 or 3100, they'll know. It's right there on the left when you first walk in. It comes in a 1 gallon bottle. Trust me, you'll love this stuff. Oh, and it smells real good too! Seriously! You'll see.

Mo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.