Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this off of Gixxer.com
NY Post

January 6, 2005 -- A major motorcycle theft ring — reputedly including a city firefighter — has been smashed with the indictment of 16 suspects for swiping millions of dollars in high-end bikes from city streets, The Post has learned.
NYPD detectives were expected to fan out this morning to round up the gang, which includes a 23-year-old Queens firefighter who allegedly ran the operation with three childhood friends from Flushing, law-enforcement sources said.

Sources say the four ringleaders paid a dozen thieves $2,000 for expensive Suzuki, Yamaha, Harley and Honda motorcycles — some worth as much as $35,000 apiece.

During a nine-month probe, wiretaps conducted by the NYPD's Auto Crime Division and the Queens DA's Office captured the young firefighter boasting he worked in a slow firehouse and was happy he had little to do, sources say.

On tape, the smoke-eater is heard ridiculing his colleagues — for being eager to work and anxious to fight fires, the sources added.

Ironically, the lazy firefighter joined the FDNY after 9/11 and lives near a part of Kissena Park that was renamed two years ago for firefighter Scott Kopytko of Manhattan's Ladder Company 15 who died in the World Trade Center.

The head crooks are suspected of being in business for two years and splitting as much as $2 million, the law-enforcement sources said.

The ring routinely combed the city for expensive motorcycles left parked on the streets and would load them into vans or trucks, the sources said.

On several occasions, they followed motorcyclists to their homes — one as far as Suffolk County — and broke into garages to steal the motorcycles.

The ringleaders routinely sold the powerful motorcycle engines for up to $3,000 apiece to enthusiasts of "dwarf car" racing, a popular sport in California, Arizona, Missouri and Pennsylvania where aficionados re-create vintage cars from 1928 to 1949 to a five-eighths scale and race them at speeds up to 100 mph.

The remaining motorcycle parts — including expensive chrome wheels, handlebars, seats and mufflers — are sold on eBay or other Internet sites, sources said.

Authorities believe the ring stole several hundred motorcycles and chopped them up at the ringleaders' homes.

The ringleaders are expected to be charged with enterprise corruption, which carries a possible six-year sentence.

The others are expected to face lesser charges. Spokesmen for the NYPD and DA Brown declined comment.

·
eScreaming Dizbuster
12,112 Posts
I've just read on another site that one of the ringleaders, Chris Demetrolus, was a moderator at 1000rr.com. /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif And it seems that other mods there are censoring any discussion of it. /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Also that the break in the case came when a theft victim identified some of his parts for sale on the internet, like Porrada did. The cops followed up, made a couple of buys off the seller, and this was the result. I wonder if the Miami cops followed up on Porrada's tip.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Oh man what a bitch this is.:flame: I think if I found out the guys lived down the street from me and I had addresses I may do something I would regret /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Like a .22 to the forhead /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif or at the least :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: etc...

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
TravellinJones said:
Also that the break in the case came when a theft victim identified some of his parts for sale on the internet, like Porrada did. The cops followed up, made a couple of buys off the seller, and this was the result. I wonder if the Miami cops followed up on Porrada's tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. I gave them the guy's email, the eBay links and specific details of the parts but their entire response was "if you didn't etch your VIN# or DL# or other unique ID# on the parts we cannot get a warrant and thus are unable to do anything".

:flame:

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
TravellinJones said:
I've just read on another site that one of the ringleaders, Chris Demetrolus, was a moderator at 1000rr.com. /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif And it seems that other mods there are censoring any discussion of it. /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mods censoring open discussion. Well that sucks. :crazy:

·
ehasbeen
5,207 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
WFO-900 said:
Mods censoring open discussion. Well that sucks. :crazy:

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes necessary when a member(s)post innapropriate stuff. For instance i'm sure the site doesn't want to be in the middle of a legal battle.

Just cause someone believes in free speec doesn't give an individual the right to be a constant dlckhead and attack others IMO

·
eScreaming Dizbuster
12,112 Posts
Free speech, by definition, includes the right to be a dickhead.

At least the esport mods can compose coherent posts. Check out this gibberish from the clown at 1000rr.com --

"thank you men
I take your guidance and support literally.,

I just don't agree with the hate mail.
not for the forum.
it's not about censorship but much more upon having the place of taintedness keep strong and most of all keep alive.

Many, Many people use this forum as their place of internet residency and it is for them that I do these things.
I being one of them.
Yes, Chris has offended me too but I will leave the persecution up to the powers that be.
not me.
not you.
not anyone.

resus, thank you for you words. I respect them, Sir.
I just ask that other respect mine as well.

as far as evidence tampering (resus. ) All that has been said and done here has no reflection upon the case that stands.

this board was never involved except for traces of information that cuold be used in relation to this particular forum members activities and any of that information is justly depicted within links that were posted on this site.
not information stored on this site but links to places that offer hints of understanding of the said board members involvement of these activities.

and as you say, with that said, we are claiming sanctuary upon all allegations that have been presented.
even as traces of evidence anything that can be linked to so said person all is contained within other forums' wall... so your advice is now rediercted to those particular sites that have the information contained within their archives that may be used in relation to securing any sort of conviction upon Chris's so said crimes that he is being charged with.

I am sorry for coming off aggressive, or obtrusive upon any of my statments but I will stand to all of my extent for anybody that wishes to use this board as their place of internet residency.
not imbed. not support, just stand for their right to have a home.

it could be you , it could be lucky929er, it could be stuna for christs sake. but most of all it could be anyone."

:help:

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Fiddy1 said:
Sonofa.............3 of those guys live in my neighborhood, and 1 around the cornor from where my RC was stolen........Now I have addresses...guess Ill have to send my regards!!!!!!!!! :flame:

[/ QUOTE ]

Fiddy your the first person I thought of when I saw this.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Canes said:
It gets worse on that site. They are now arguing that he just wanted to feed his family.
$180,000.00 on hand when they caught them would buy a lot of food. :rolling:

[/ QUOTE ] And like i said before "tax evasion " they need to get him on that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts