Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it going guys and girls I have few questions that I would like your opinion on. First I have been driving my TLR for about two years and its a great bike with tons of torque. I am getting another bike and was dead set on a Buell Firebolt 1200 but have changed my mind. I am really lookin at Ninja 900 or an R1. My driving habit is mostly straight line racing because I dont have many opportunities for twisties. What would be the better bike for, from a roll racing I really like the Ninja's way it feels. Thanks for the info and sorry a long post.

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts
The R1 will be the better bike for speed; the Kawi for comfort. Neither would be a bad choice.

That was the last year of the 9R and it was well due for a change (hence the new 10R) - but for distance it'll be the one to get you there in comfort. The R1 is lighter, faster, more powerful and has higher spec components.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Saying the R1 (at least 03 and older) is the better bike for speed is stretching things a bit. A friend of mine has had two ZX9Rs, and two R1s, and I've owned my ZX9R since new in 01.

We've done quite a few roll-ons betwixt the K and Y bikes, and the bike that wins is always the same - the one with me on it :laugh: It's not because of my superior riding skills (coff, coff :rolling:), it's because I weigh in at 160lbs, and he's more like 200.

If track riding was the main criteria for your choice, I'd go for the R1. For street riding, just choose the one that you like best :waytogo:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your input. I never really liked a narrow bike myself thats why I think I will go with the ZX9R or look into a ZX10R. I will most likely get the 9 though and if I dont feel as though im fast enough I could build the motor. Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
The 10R is very narrow as well, probably narrower than the R1.

I'd get the R1 if they were both '03s.

I spotted a new '04 GSXR1000 in the dealer's window earlier today marked waaay down from suggested retail and jeez, I'm tempted. The dealer was closed today (Saturday afternoon) so it might be a demo. But if it ain't, my 9R may soon be just a memory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I already looked in to GSXR1000 and they were marked down a little to $9400. But they only want $6500 for the ZX9R and $7000 for the R1. When I bought my TRL I spent a little more than 10k and dont want to spend that much again. I wont mind spending up to around 9K I just want the best and most comfortable bike for my money because I'd like to take it on trips. Any other bike suggestions?

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Yeah, can't wait to see the 2005 model :waytogo:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
pulse said:
I spotted a new '04 GSXR1000 in the dealer's window earlier today marked waaay down from suggested retail and jeez, I'm tempted. The dealer was closed today (Saturday afternoon) so it might be a demo. But if it ain't, my 9R may soon be just a memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here... shop I went to on Saturday had 3 2004 Gixx 1000 (blue/white) for around $9800 OTD!! (I think that's a good price /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif)
If I had the loot, I'd be trying to haggle them to give me one for $9K OTD. Good thing they were my least favorite color scheme :tongue:

·
Registered
166 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
GuyintheSS said:
Well I already looked in to GSXR1000 and they were marked down a little to $9400. But they only want $6500 for the ZX9R and $7000 for the R1. When I bought my TRL I spent a little more than 10k and dont want to spend that much again. I wont mind spending up to around 9K I just want the best and most comfortable bike for my money because I'd like to take it on trips. Any other bike suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]
Between the 2, if you do trips, go for the ZX9R. Lots of power and WAY more comfortable than an R1. But like someone else said, you could go with a Busa. Tons of power and extremely comfortable.
Just my $.02
Either way, enjoy!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Last year I was faced with the same choice ZX9R or R1. Had the R1 been black with the red trim instead of blue with white trim I would have the R1. Went with the green ZX9R. No regrets, very happy with the comfort and performance. Ride 300 - 400 miles today and be ready to ride the next day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im gonna look into a Busa as well however this week I will be buying one them. If I dont take with the Busa then ima get the ZX9. Very comfy and moderately fast, oh yeah its silver and looks sweet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts