Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm not exactly a newbie, but I've decided to get a "new to me" bike and have found a leftover '01 R-1. I'm keeping my Ducati but wanted something else I could actually take a long trip on without considering whether or not I might need a valve adjustment along the way. And, nothing screams "Sport Touring" like an R-1 /images/icons/laugh.gif. Actually, I've loved these bikes since I saw the first '98 in person and have always wanted one. I only plan to do a few mods as I feel the bike is beautiful as it is. I plan to get a Eurotail undertail kit and a set of Devil Pipe slip on's. But, I would like to take some fairly long trips on this bike and I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with Heli-bars on the R1. I'm not very tall (5'9") so I'm not too concerned about the size of the bike for extended periods of riding. But, I'd just like to get a little weight off my wrists. Also, how comfortable is the stock seat for extended trips? Does the Corbin make a huge difference?? Any help in these matters would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...and thanks for letting me become the latest member in your groovey-gang...LOL.

Regards,

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
195 Posts
i cant compare the r-1 to your duc but i can compare it to a 748 and the r-1 is a LOT more confortable but you cant beat that ducati handleing!

<font color=green>sorry officer the dealer must have filled my front tire with helium or something</font color=green>

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Even though I've come over to the blue side, I still had to stick with red... I'm in the process of trying to get my Credit Union to talk with the dealership. Fun...fun. Oh well, it'll all be worth it when I throw my leg over my own R1 for the first time.

Regards,

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have helis on a 2000 and the riding position is very much improved comfort wise over stock. The only complaint I have is the extra vibration through the bars. Anyway I'm going to install originals back on the bike and see if its just my bike. I would love to keep the bars on but the vibes are driving me crazy and I'm not willing to go the foam grip route just yet.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
As with any sportbike... you will be feeling the seat after about 200 miles or so... but at least then, you will need to refuel so you can stretch your legs.

I rode my bike from Columbus Georgia all the way up to Detroit Michigan. 850 miles or so. Let me be the first to say... I wish I had that Corbin seat. /images/icons/laugh.gif The stock bars didn't really affect me though... but heli's would of helped too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts