Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie q\'s

Hey I want to get a bike and my motorcycle license. I have no experience riding so this is completely new to me. I have been reading around and am thinking maybe a CBR600 or a Kawasaki ZX6. Any other suggestions? Also what is involved in getting a MC license in NJ? Test? Permit? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Re: Newbie q\'s

Those are both reasonable choices, but also consider something smaller like a Ninja 250 or 500. You'll still have a lot of fun while you're learning, probably won't kill yourself, and will have no problem selling the bike to another newbie if and when you're ready for an upgrade. Also, buy an older used bike so you won't feel as bad if you drop it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

yeah I definitly was not looking towards new bikes. Also having never even ridden a dirt bike what is the clutch system like on a bike? any bit similar to a car?

·
Registered
4,641 Posts

It works very much like a car, except you clutch with your hand and shift with your foot. Simple, really, but difficult for some people to get used to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Sounds good thanks. Any idea how long I have to have my permit for in NJ? Does the permit require supervision?

·
Registered
197 Posts

In NY you can sign up for a road test as soon as soon as you get your permit - OR - once you have a permit , and if you have a class D (automobile) liscence you can take the MSF beginner rider course . It's a 3 day class . They explain how everything works then they put you on a bike and teach you the basics of how to ride . At the end there's a road test . If you pass it counts the same as a state (DMV) road test and you'll have a valid class M (motorcycle) liscence /images/icons/smile.gif . You can ask about it at DMV when you go for your permit . I think it costs $175 down by you . Good Luck

·
Registered
85 Posts

The MSF course is your best bet. I'd recommend taking the course before you buy a bike. When I took the course, I found that there were some people in the class who found that they just didn't enjoy the sport and dropped out. It's obviously better to find out whether or not you enjoy it before you buy a bike.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for all your help. I am going to find out all the information on licensing/permit and on taking the course when I get home from school in May.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts

take the msf course, get a 600 and take it easy to start, then you won't be hating yourself after 3000 miles....the bike will have plenty more for you to learn....i dunno, i just think that buying a 500 or 250 is a losing money proposition. you can handle a 600 if you keep your head about you. guys have started higher and done fine.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts

Buying a 250 or 500 really is not a money losing proposition. If you buy an older used one, you can sell it after a year for just about what you paid. It's almost like riding for free. Then, when you factor in the difference in insurance for that year, you practically made money. Buying a new 600 is the best way to lose money.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

I'm actually in the same boat as you, except I've already taken the course, have my license, and have a little time in the saddle.

I'm considering the same two bikes, not brand new...probably around '96/'97. I think it's a fair choice, just as long as you keep your head...kinda like everyone else said.

Before I took the MSF course I had no experience on a motorcycle. I can't even remember sitting on one. They start at the absolute beginning in that course. How to get on/off the bike, how to start/turn off the bike, and then it just slowly progresses from there. Eventually you'll be swerving in and out of cones, doing figure 8s, emergency stops, the whole bit.

I'm not saying I'm a seasoned rider from taking the course, because I am far from that. But the course will teach you how to ride. Albeit, it's all done in a parking lot. Applying what you learn in that parking lot to the street isn't that difficult, it's just that you have crazy people to deal with in the street. Like I said before, I have minimal experience at best, but common sense tells me take it slow and every thing will be fine.

<font color=red>Yes, it's just another typical day for the incredible Spaceman Spiff.</font color=red>

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

After you take a intro course. Look into a Advanced rider one as well, you use your own bike. Great way to hone your skills further....

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

Yeah dont stop doing courses with beginning one. I took the advanced course and it was a good one. As for what bike to get i would get an older EX500 or Ninja 500. That is what i did and i didnt lose but maybe 200 bucks. It was an a great bike to learn on. I also increased my skill more than i would have on a 600. Now i have my F4i and love it. I am also faster in corners because i started on a not as capable bike.

redCBR

Fly N LOW

G

·

"i just think that buying a 500 or 250 is a losing money proposition"

Not at all! I bought a 2000 Ninja 250 with only 1600 miles on it for $2700. One year and 6000 miles later I sold it for $2000. I got 6000 miles of enjoyment for $700. My jacket and helmet cost more than the bike! I'd say that was a good deal!

·
Registered
976 Posts

cant go wrong with a 1/2 faired bike to start. insurance is low and you wont pay out the nose for cosmetic damage if you drop it. sv650's, bandits, fazers, hornets, etc. ninja 500 is probably a safe bet too. if youre dead set on getting all the plastic, be careful. /images/icons/wink.gif well...be careful anyway. good luck.

The frog will fly at midnight.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts

The typical crash/drop on an SV costs about $1,200 to repair to original condition. The tank is $400, the tail piece is $200, the headlight rim is about $50, the turn signals are a few bucks, as are the Dash covers. Then there's labor to be factored in, also.

Or if you're like me you just won't worry about making it look new again... but chances are if you buy a new bike you'll want it to always look new.

·
Registered
945 Posts

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

? Also what is involved in getting a MC license in NJ? Test? Permit?

<hr></blockquote>

Since I haven't seen this aspect of your question answered yet....

In NJ, you can get a permit that will allow you to ride with other riders (i.e. everybody on their own bike just be within a specific distance from them), ride during the day and not on the highways.

There are a couple of ways to get your license.
1. Take the NJ motorcycle written test and then take the MSF course and then you automatically get the motorcycle endorsement on your license.
2. Take the NJ motorcycle written test and take the driving test at the Department of Motor Vehicles. However, the driving test for the motorcycles is VERY difficult. If you try to take the test using a regular motorcycle (read any sportbike, touring bike, motorcross bike, standard bike) you will fail. The only way to pass the driving test is to rent a scooter from a motorcycle dealership and they will usually trailer the scooter to the DMV and meet you there so you can take the test on it. A buddy of mine just did this and the dealership charged him $70 for the scooter rental. I am not advocating taking a test on a vehicle that you will never ride again, but without using a scooter, you will never pass.

If I may take the liberty to inject a personnel opinion, take the MSF course. You will learn the basics of how to SAFELY ride a motorcycle. This will benefit you in the long run. Just my $.02, even though you didn't ask for it.

Good luck

P.S. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.
Stephen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thanks for the info I am going to take the class but it is filled up until July. I am going to regiester for the July one but go on standby for earlier ones as I would like to get riding earlier this summer.

·
Registered
0 Posts

I learned how to ride bikes in the woods. Get an older dual sport bike & go trail riding every chance you get. You'll learn two things, how to ride the bike and how to negotiate
hazards WITHOUT having to worry about cars, people etc..

<font color=blue>That's not a <font color=red> THREAT, <font color=blue>it's a <font color=red>PROMISE!!/images/icons/mad.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts