Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Yeah, you might not detect those by radar, I guess..
But you surely can see them.
Maybe not with your standard binocular, but everyone who is into astronomy surely could.
Of course that would rule out most "villain countries" as they're not that much interested in civil science....

·
Registered
205 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Ninjaslayer said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6695514/

Sounds like they really want to put a real "Echelon" system in the air now....... :waytogo:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but who's to say that President Reagan didn't already built it in '86 :grin:. Anyone remember the Star Wars Program?? No pun intended :rolling:. But that guy spent billions on defense that makes the spending today look trivial :bow: :applause:!

·
Registered
832 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
exracr said:
[ QUOTE ]
Ninjaslayer said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6695514/

Sounds like they really want to put a real "Echelon" system in the air now....... :waytogo:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but who's to say that President Reagan didn't already built it in '86 :grin:. Anyone remember the Star Wars Program?? No pun intended :rolling:. But that guy spent billions on defense that makes the spending today look trivial :bow: :applause:!

[/ QUOTE ]

Billions now look trivial. :grin: The budget for the military will be around 420 billion of acknowledged cost in 2005. But I don't know if the money for satellites comes out of the military budget or from somewhere else.

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
JoeFriday said:
Billions now look trivial. :grin: The budget for the military will be around 420 billion of acknowledged cost in 2005. But I don't know if the money for satellites comes out of the military budget or from somewhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

It comes from the road-building budget of Michigan, Ohio and NY States... That's why the roads there are awful.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
They are spending $10 billion a year on the new "missle defense system." They were supposed to test it this week but had to cancel it because it was raining :lol:

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Non-stealth satellites can be tracked and their orbits can be predicted, allowing countries to attempt to hide weapons or troop movements on the ground when they are overhead.

[/ QUOTE ]

um...any orbit can be pridicted, even if you can't track it, you get 3 instances where you know time and position and you can pretty much map out its exact orbit. It takes a LOT OF ENERGY to change an orbital trajectory. Any college engineering student can figure it out, after all, all orbits basically follow a sin wave. really easy to predict. boils down to connecting the dots via a sin wave, and whala, you got a map of where it was at time t, and where it will be at t+dt. :808993-banghead:

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
for the amount of money they are planing on spending, why not just launch 1000 cheap(haha) satelites, that way you get 100% coeverage, who cares if they know you can see them, if you can watch em 24/7

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
wingswheels said:
for the amount of money they are planing on spending, why not just launch 1000 cheap(haha) satelites, that way you get 100% coeverage, who cares if they know you can see them, if you can watch em 24/7

[/ QUOTE ]makes way to much sense to do that , besides im sure there is plenty with the others they do not tell us about

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
i emailed someone I know about this, and got this as a response, keep in mind this particular person use to work at the Satelite Test Center(The Blue Cube), so they know what they are talking about.

[ QUOTE ]
about your comments, the ground track is not a sine wave but I can see where you would think it is. Perhaps if the orbit was perfectly circular and the earth was a isotropic solid you might then get a perfect sine wave.

Now I read most of the article, it started getting boring, at the end there was a statement about misty 2 that made me really mad. Something about putting up a debris field to hide the location of the satellite. At the rate they are going, it will become impossible to put up a satellite without a near certainty that it will suffer midair collisions with dead birds, boosters, etc.

30 years ago we had telescopes ( used to track Apollo launches, etc ) that could take pictures of satellites in orbit. It is pretty hard to hide form a telescope.

Now if you wish to change your orbit there are two changes you can make
1) eccentricity - which is related to apogee and perigee - this would also change your period and ground track.

2) inclination - of course this one changes your ground track while leaving the other orbital elements alone. This allows you to visit more norther and souther latitudes.

Cost, changing your inclination is very expensive. For example, to change it 60 degrees costs as much fuel as it did to launch the bird in the first place. Not practical at all. Changing your altitude is possible but why, the idea was always to fly as close to the ground as possible so as to get more detail.

Now, instead of putting up any satellite, the more intelligent thing is to use unmanned drones which would transmit their data to a geosynchronous relay satellite. They were working on a solar powered plane that could stay up 24/7 at about 100000 feet. Since the wing covering is plastic and transparent it would be very stealthy. Since it is so cheap you could put up 100000 of these things and spy on everybody and everything 24/7. Then the problem would be finding enough people to look at the data. Of course the whole operation would fail because that is not possible without artificial intelligence to do the job for you. There are some very smart people behind the scenes, this whole thing could be just a cover story to hide what they are really doing. Then again with bush in there, it could be just another ripoff for his buddies. Or both.

[/ QUOTE ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.