Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i'm a new street rider and my first bike is an 05 Suzuki GS500F...it's amazing and i ride every chance i get...come next spring, i'm already planning on trading it in for an 06 GSX-R 600...I can't wait...i wanted to start right, with a smaller bike. I got the 500 october 7th...i now have 2400 miles on it. i love ridin'. My girlfriend already bought me a gaurdian cover for it for sweetest day...and for my birthday, which is tomorrow, she already got me the 'motorhead' leather Icon jacket! I'm hyped. I love ridin'. thanks

·
eScreaming Dizbuster
12,112 Posts
Dude! You're a ridin' fool! :waytogo:

Welcome to the club. I hope you can keep racking up the miles like that.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
TravellinJones said:
Dude! You're a ridin' fool! :waytogo:

Welcome to the club. I hope you can keep racking up the miles like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding! At that rate, you'll have nearly 30k miles in a year. I don't put that many miles on all my vehicles combined. :shocked:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i love to ride...i love to drive...do you think that i am maybe, cruzin' for a bruzin'? :blush: ha,ha, yea right, it's gonna be motoGP...i love to race, i've been involved with the SCCA for three years, SOLO racing my VW...this past year i got 4th for the season in the STS class, out of like fifteen. Best tires for car racing other than slicks...goodyear eagle f1 gsd3!... I think i've read just about every riding tip on here, twice...

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts
:lol: :lol: :applause:

Nice... keep it up!!!

I won't buy Goodyear simply because they're an Asscar tire... :smile: Michelin please - car and bike.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Funny how people who race never seem to mind starting on smaller machines and learning up. Wonder why that is?

I'm just saying.......

Welcome to the site. Nice bike - gonna be a battle getting Goodyears on it... :grin:

Pacifico

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Mello said:
Best tires for car racing other than slicks...goodyear eagle f1 gsd3!...

[/ QUOTE ]

i never intended to wrap goodyears on my bike... :rolling: :smile: but, if i could i would :809028-ridin:
As for why i started smaller...well, I want to start right. I want to learn right. Master the basics and work my way up. Im a big risk taker, but i've heard of people gettin' themselves in too deep to start, and then gettin' served... i wanna be alive to learn. Plus, insurance is cheaper! :applause:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Geez do i love to ride!!!
My bike now has 15,XXX miles on it!
:808922-fiddy:

·
eMotoMech
10,641 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Mello said:
Geez do i love to ride!!!
My bike now has 15,XXX miles on it!
:808922-fiddy:

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, glad to hear it :smile:
Now the important question, have you done the sheduled checks and maintanence? That'll keep your bike running great for many more miles to come /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If you need any help with doing the maintanence yourself, me an the other knuckle heads in the Tech or How to forum will be glad to help /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Mello said:
My girlfriend already bought me a gaurdian cover for it for sweetest day...I'm hyped. I love ridin'. thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you man, I love riding also, every chance I get. I loved being in Japan and Spain where I could ride year round, now I'm in Germany with awesome roads but a shorter riding season. BTW, what the heck is sweetest day??? :lol2:

·
Premium Member
24,352 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
RoadpizzaRyan said:

Now the important question, have you done the sheduled checks and maintanence? That'll keep your bike running great for many more miles to come /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If you need any help with doing the maintanence yourself, me an the other knuckle heads in the Tech or How to forum will be glad to help /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What is due at the proper intervals:

Initial 600 miles or 1000km:

* tighten cylinder nuts and exhaust pipe bolts
* Inspect valve clearance, adjust if necessary
* Inspect all fuel lines for leakage
* (California models) Inspect evaporation canister and vapor lines
* Change engine oil and replace filter
* Check engine idle speed; adjust to 1200 rpm if necessary
* Check clutch adjustment; adjust if necessary
* Check drive chain tension; adjust if necessary
* Inspect all brake hoses for leakage
* Check brake fluid levels in both master cylinders; add fluid if necessary
* Check brake pad wear
* Inspect tire condition and air pressure
* Check steering operation; adjust if necessary
* Check operation of front forks
* Check rear suspension operation
* Check all chassis bolts and nuts for tightness; tighten if necessary

Every 2000 miles (3000 km)

* Clean and inspect air filter element

Every 4000 miles (6000 km)

* Check battery electrolyte level and condition
* Inspect spark plugs; regap or replace if necessary
* Tighten cylinder head nuts and exhaust pipe bolts
* Inspect valve clearance; adjust if necessary
* Inspect all fuel lines for deterioration and leakage
* (California models) Inspect evaporation canister and vapor lines
* Change engine oil and replace filter
* Check engine idle speed; adjust to 1200 rpm if necessary
* Check clutch adjustment; adjust if necessary
* Check drive chain tension; adjust if necessary
* Inspect all brake hoses for chaffing, cracks or leakage
* Check brake fluid levels in both master cylinders; add fluid if necessary
* Check brake pad wear
* Inspect tire condition and air pressure
* Check steering operation; adjust if necessary
* Check operation of front forks
* Check all chassis bolts and nuts for tightness; tighten if necessary
* Check all cable adjustments; adjust if necessary
* Check throttle grip operation, play and adjustment
* Check headlight aim, adjust if necessary
* check front and rear brake light switch operation
* Lubricate rear suspension linkage and swing arm bearings

Every 7500 miles (12000 km) OR Every 2 years

* Replace spark plugs
* Replace air filter element
* Synchronize carburetors
* Check operation of front brake
* Check front fork seals for leakage
* Check rear shock absorber for leakage, looseness or damage
* Check rear suspension linkage for looseness or damage
* Inspect tires for excessive wear, cuts or other damage
* Check wheel rims for damage
* Inspect drive chain guide for wear
* Check break pedal height
* Check centerstand for looseness or damage
* Check sidestand for looseness or damage

Every 2 years

* Change brake fluid

Every 4 years

* Replace all brake hoses
* Replace all fuel lines

Stick to the schedule, and the GS will live FOREVER.

:waytogo:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All the maintinence is covered...Since it was my first bike, i got the v.i.p. plan and i just take it there for the scheduled maintinece...I also got the wheel and tire protection plan. I've already had the rear replaced at about 6,000 cause of a nail i found in it! Had the 14,500 maintinence done about a month ago...with that i got new tires. All the other frequent checks i've learned to do, like checking, cleaning and lubing the chain...I had to learn that the hard way by letting mine get warped from neglect. I replaced it with an RK racing chain. I've ridden the bike to it's max. I'm confident, i'm ready to upgrade, but the bike is seriously badass for what it is! I ride with alot of good riders every sunday on the same roads, probably the twisitest roads around cincinnati...I've learnt masssssss...even how to crash!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Glad to hear your loving the bike. That's a great choice for a first bike, I remember running through a couple three sets of tires my first season of riding.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After a year of riding and 20,000 miles later...I'm still so addicted to riding...All you guys or gals that wanna start riding, Get the GS500 for your first bike!!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
This is one of the best posting i have ever read, nice to know somebody did it right, and listen to more experience riders. Now you probaly have a better idea what your next bike will be.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Way to go!

We've said it here before, "Riding is not for everybody". YOU'RE NOT EVERYBODY! :applause:

You probably have the experience of someone riding 2-3 years with all those miles.

Check out the ESB attacks the dragon thread. If you can make it, I can pretty much guarantee it will be the most fun you've had on two wheels. :808922-fiddy: :808922-fiddy:

·
e-pariah
6,640 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Mello said:
Get the GS500 for your first bike!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

or for your ? 40th bike...

I don't really know how many bikes I've owned since I started riding 28 years ago, but I've bought 3 this last year, and one of them was a GS500. I love the Ninja EX500 that I ride every day to work, but I'm really looking forward to getting my (wifes) GS done, so we can ride together, with me on my GSXR750. but you KNOW I'm gona put that GS through its paces and have a blast doing it too.

Thanks for posting...

JEFF

1 - 20 of 85 Posts