Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new rider that is looking to by a used bike. The bike that I am looking to get is a 2003 CBR 954. The guy that is selling it has an ohlins steering damper on it. Can you guys give me your experience with this damper in terms of ride, handling, etc?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Re: New Rider question about the ohlins steering d

My Scotts damper is the best mod I have made on my bike!! Night and Day on the street! great for bumpy roads smooths everything out :waytogo: Haven't been on the track with it yet but I can't wait!! :waytogo: :808922-fiddy:

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
The 954 has a reputation as a comfy liter bike, but the front end can get a little light and squirrelly. A damper seems to be a standard add on for 954 owners to solve this problem. Whether to go with Scotts or Ohlins is a continuing debate and I’m sure some of the board experts can fill you in on the differences.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
terrasmak said:
Is this your first streetbike or first sportbike .

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have a Ninja 600r, but that was like 7-8 years ago -- I put 27,000 miles on that bike in 3 years (never laid it down), but I haven't riden since then so I consider myself starting out kinda new.

To the others -- thanks for your feedback. The owner said he'd take off $200 if I didn't want the damper on it. I live in a city where the roads are pretty crappy so this sounds like it is a very worthwhile mod.

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts

Yeah... there are quite a few times when I wish I had a damper on my 929; I just got a GPR damper and will be installing it for the coming year's riding season. It was long over due.

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts

If you take the $200.00 credit and find that you do infact need the damper, you will be spending a lot more than $200.00 to replace it (assuming that you didn't tank-slap yourself into oblivion and still need it).

You could probably fetch more than $200 for a used Ohlins on Ebay during the summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts