Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I need more feedback from the RC51 riders. I have been interested in going to something different. I have a pretty good idea of the performance envelope but I am still wondering about other factors and "intangibles." Tell me what you think guys. Are the seats made from stone like the 954 or is it just the ride position thats a killer? I have been told the handling is excellent. I was a little concerned with the step down in power from a liter sized inline 4 but 2002 is supposed to have another 18 horse or so and that should put it in the game. Any opinions are appreciated. Don't bother preaching about the torque....most of the guys that are truly amazed by that came off 600 inlines.

- As a side note....I rode a Duc 996 and thought it was a slow and mechanical piece of crap! People say there is no comparison between that and the RC 51 though.?!

Wheelies don't necessarily make you a squid, but bitchin about em' sure makes you a sissy!

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
" I have been interested in going to something different. "
YES! ~ That would be the RC51 !/images/icons/cool.gif

"Are the seats made from stone like the 954 or is it just the ride position thats a killer? "
Yes! Both are absolutely true./images/icons/frown.gif

"I have been told the handling is excellent. "
It's so good you will cum in your pants. /images/icons/cool.gif

"I was a little concerned with the step down in power from a liter sized inline 4 but 2002 is supposed to have another 18 horse or so and that should put it in the game. "
The RC is a great canyon carver. It shines in the twisties, and for that you don't need max horsepower. My top speed on the open road, bone stock is 170 - and it wasn't much of a thrill, but taking nice a tight curve at 50, when everyone else sh!ts their pants at 30 will put a grin on your face.

"Don't bother preaching about the torque...."
By the way, did anyone mention that the RC51 has lots of torque? /images/icons/wink.gif

" - As a side note....I rode a Duc 996 and thought it was a slow and mechanical piece of crap! "
"I never road a DUC, but I did sit on one, and it wasn't very comfortable. Check out the Duc forum for more info there.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Gunther, ya what bad_dog said /images/icons/smile.gif

Also, don't expect 18 more hp from the 2002. Just ain't gonna happen. they didn't change that much.

You mentioned 'intangibles' That's pretty much the RC51 in a nutshell. Kinda hard to put your finger on it, but it's just a great bike.

BTW, I rode a 9R last year, great street bike!

Later

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Man... all this talk has me aching for an RC. I wonder if the new bike is going to have a less-snatchy fuel map than the previous 2 years. No offense, RC owners, I still love riding RC's whenever I can get my hands on one.

Is there a way to make your RC more comfy? Like a corbin seat and higher bars? I would love it then, since I pull so many 200+ mile days in the summer. I'm 6'0 so there is a mild concern about comfort on the RC.

From what I've heard, 2002 model will have larger throttle bodies. That is only going to give it a minimal hp boost. Maybe 2 hp at the most, right? I've also heard that the torque is a little higher on this year's bike, and it's about 10 lbs lighter than before.

The longer swingarm should make it track straight more. I wonder if this means that the turn-in will be slower. Again, I have no experience with this sort of modification so I'm just giving some innocent conjectures.

If I can get my cousin to give me his wrecked FZR600 then I'll most likely get an RC this spring. There's no way I'll be able to handle 1000cc's on the track. I can barely handle a 600 on the track.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good question about the horsepower. I think I read it in two different places but I went back to some familiar sites and didn't see it. Anyway I recall a gain of "approximately" 18 horsepower somewhere. Regardless i was told there are some significant aftermarket upgrades available for the RC to bring the power way up. You can go as fast as you can afford I guess. What is up with the stone saddle seats? Isn't honda supposed to be trying to fill the best all around slot? The size and shape is fine but there is no need for the seat to be that bad. Anyone know anything about aftermarket sticker kits? I saw an RC 51 with the big black honda wing emblem on the side turned to the silver of the front end. Bike looked incredible!

Wheelies don't necessarily make you a squid, but bitchin about em' sure makes you a sissy!

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Noud, think big - what you really want is THIS:

Donoman:
"Is there a way to make your RC more comfy? "
There is an upgrade to the RC that improves comfort 100% - it's called the Valkyrie.

"Like a corbin seat and higher bars?"
Yes "I feel your pain" I do 200 mile trips, and sometimes 300-400 miles trips. As far as a Corbin seat, I have heard good reviews on other bikes, but haven't been impressed with mine - But I haven't put any miles on it yet, so I' can't pass judgement. As far as higher bars, I've never seen any. There is very little clearance between the fairing and the bars so they wouldn't have room if you raised them.

The 2002 has larger throttle bodies, more efficient nozzles, and a fuel map to match. I don't believe they improved the snatchy response below 3 k

·
Registered
620 Posts
noud; are the 02's gonna have that paint, on the Honda page it sais silver, the white looks more like a street bike than a race bike. before the crash there was a pic of roberts's RC in black,red and flat black anyone still got this?

·
Registered
863 Posts
OK The next person that complains about the RC51 being uncomfortable is going to get a smack /images/icons/laugh.gif IT'S A FRICKIN' RACE BIKE! LOL

Anyway, there are a couple of things you can do to make it a bit more streetable. Both Corbin and Sargent make seats for the RC. Both good and will make long days in the saddle much more enjoyable. No good for the track though as they inhibit movement quite a bit.

You can raise the bars with Heli-Bars. I don't have a link, sorry.

I'm 6'3" and find the ergonomics just right, but I don't expect Goldwing comfort either /images/icons/wink.gif

The '02 will have larger throttle bodies, a remapped black box, that wicked cool swingarm, lighter wheels and a couple of other changes.
The pic Noud posted is the Euro model, can't get it here /images/icons/frown.gif
The snatchy FI can be cured with a Power Commander, easy fix.
That swingarm is awesome! I'm going to try and retrofit one to my 2000. A lot of the RC racebikes had a longer swingarm and their turn-in is great so it won't be a prob, it'll be better.

Later

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I really want that SP-2. Like I always say, there's nothing worse than someone else having a better version of your bike./images/icons/smile.gif If I can get a smokin' deal on a trade-in, I might consider it but then again, I might just spend the $2000 I'll lose in the deal on some cams and a paint job.

·
eNVisible
15,777 Posts
Rum~ Wait a few more years than trade in/up. Your '51 is by far not outdated and if the SP-2 has some things you don't, oh well. I'm still on a '95 and have plans on getting another bike. Correction: If I win the lottery I will be getting a new bike. /images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts