Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some feedback on the new Metler M1's. I usually ride D207's and have had no problems but recently I switched to the new M1's. I was up in Deal's Gap and needed new tires and saw the M1's were in stock so I asked the mechanic any feedback he had gotten. He had given them great remarks, so I gave them a shot. I'll tell you, they stick like velcro. I heard they were a really good next generation tire (hard in the middle and soft on the sides) but never would've believed the difference, unless I had tried them myself. There is a really great article on them in Sport Rider mag. If you like riding the twisties give these a chance, they may work for you. Unfortuately I live in flat a$$ florida and probably will run a flat spot in them in a month, but at least I had good tires for the Gap. Also a buddy of mine tried them in the mountains as well and he had good things to say as well.

Today...We ride!!!

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
We had a thread on the sportecs in the pacific forum and he said pretty much the same thing except that he switched from a 204 sport touring tire to the sportecs. After the huge ride we did just this past weekend i now need a new tire and maybe a front too. Given what you guys have said i am considering trying them out if you can really feel the difference in 'stickiness' from the 207. Can we turn this into a agree/disagree thread? 207 vs M1?

<font color=red>Ride Red</font color=red>

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
M1's are the tire to end all tires!! Sticky as hell, and heat up quick as hell! I switched from the bridgestone bt010's. What a difference, the brickstones were sliding all over the place on me, even on a downshift once!! I have yet to slide these AT ALL, except when they were brand spanking new, and that is to be expected..Great great great is all I have to say..

try this as well:
http://esport.sportbikes.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=rant2&Number=34317&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1

G

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Thanks for the link G_man.. cant open the rest of the pages. Dont know why. I think i have found my new tire. After i scrub in 1 more 207 rear... gotta buy boots first! By then the front will need a change too and then i can use Qmans deal.. under $200 for the tires and shouldnt be much for install. Then again.. maybe i'll get them now. How long have you guys had these last??

<font color=red>Ride Red</font color=red>

·
Registered
938 Posts
Just last week i replaced my D207's with the sportec M1's. This was a great move. I really like them. I put under 100 miles on them and they grip way better then the D207's ever did. Now I just need to find out how they are in the rain?

Riding always makes me -->/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point about the rain comment. I havn't tried them yet in the rain. My D207's never failed me, I am still a fan of them, I have just found something a little stickier. Two thumbs up on the M1's.

Today...We ride!!!

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
i just ordered mine from discount. i can't wait to throw 'em on!

G_man...with respect to the 207s, did it take long to break the sportecs in?

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Jojo -- I broke 'em in for an easy 50 miles, then went straight to Ortega Hwy., and then Palomar/Borrego the next day. They were awesome!

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Jojo, I broke mine in the last time we rode GMR together. True, I almost washed out the front on the first decreasing radius turn but they were fully scrubbed by the time we got to the top. I love these tires. Turn in is good...especially with the 180 rear.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have a set with a little over 150mi on them. Track day Monday - I'll post results. /images/icons/smile.gif

If I put what I wanted in this signature, I would piss too many people off.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
ron, 50 miles is nothing! we ride about thta much every bike night!

man...can they get here already?! damn!

·
Registered
823 Posts
I want to try the M-1's and will soon. Alot of guys in Cali. had them and like them. I do not like the regular 207 sportmax but I love the race/road compound 207RR. I only have a concern on the amount of wear. But I hear that the M-1 doesn't last any longer in the twisties (if your fast/images/icons/wink.gif).....I'll have to wait and see/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I'm ordering M1's next week, will keep posted. Oh yeah and 50 miles...I burn that just getting half-way to our first meeting spot!

"I am Jack's high-speed adrenaline rush."

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Jojo and Nem -- That's what I meant...I just cruised 50 miles in about an hour of street/highway riding, then said *fawk it*, let's go RIDING!! I wasn't gonna break 'em in for like DAYS /images/icons/laugh.gif

<edit> Nem-- that's what Ortega was for....the "sides" !!
Damn, they were good from the start...

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Two quick sliding turns takes care of the scrubbing in!/images/icons/wink.gif
I'll know pretty soon how long they'll last me. From the wear I see now - They last longer than Pilot Sports. I will continue to be as hard on them as possible.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts