Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have this prob? All the tires that I have found are either "sport tour" or wrong size for the gf's bike. I need a 130/70/17 rear and a 110/70/17 front. Anyone?

IF a larger size will work, I would be willing to try it but I have checked out the clearance and it looks pretty damn close on the rear. Don't know if that swingarm would accomodate a 140 or 150. If anyone has made a larger size work to get a sport tire on the frame that info would rock!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I've been told that Sport Demons 120/70-17 and a 140/70-17 or 110/70-17 and 130/70-17 would work.

I have a 500 too and am looking at getting some new tires soon. Seems no one supports the idea of putting sport tires on these bikes here but over at ex500rider forums they talk about doing it.

Anyways, I've "heard" that this sport demons would fit between the skinny rear forks.

PLEASE LMK IF YOU BUY SOME AND THEY WORK! Or, if you find something else thats round and wide to shove in the rear.....want, that sounds funny?!

·
Premium Member
24,352 Posts
If we want larger rear tires, I think the best idea would be to buy a bigger bike. Even with a 150 series tire on the back of an EX or GS, it will look puny beside a 600cc and above sportbike. As I said to Micah, I do not recommend going to a larger size because handling will suffer. :smile:

Hell...

If I could find a good set of rubber that was 90/70-17, 110/17-17 instead of 110/70-17, 130/70-17, I might actually try it just to see if the bike would handle better :grin:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
GSRider said:
If we want larger rear tires, I think the best idea would be to buy a bigger bike. Even with a 150 series tire on the back of an EX or GS, it will look puny beside a 600cc and above sportbike. As I said to Micah, I do not recommend going to a larger size because handling will suffer. :smile:

Hell...

If I could find a good set of rubber that was 90/70-17, 110/17-17 instead of 110/70-17, 130/70-17, I might actually try it just to see if the bike would handle better :grin:

[/ QUOTE ]

and I agree with you. I do not want so much width as I just want a rounder tire. The 110/70-17 and 130/70-17 that you suggested look like what I'm after. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
366 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
flankr7 said:
Anyone else have this prob? All the tires that I have found are either "sport tour" or wrong size for the gf's bike. I need a 130/70/17 rear and a 110/70/17 front. Anyone?

IF a larger size will work, I would be willing to try it but I have checked out the clearance and it looks pretty damn close on the rear. Don't know if that swingarm would accomodate a 140 or 150. If anyone has made a larger size work to get a sport tire on the frame that info would rock!

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

It is beyond close, I tried it and it worked, but only because the chain has stretched. Very hard to set it, i'd go with a stock size. Even though I do like the larger tire. :smile:

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The Pirelli Sport Demons come highly recommended for the EX500 boards I've seen. When I get tires for my EX it'll probably be those. Of course since I have a '93 I've got the 16" wheels. I can get an exact stock match for the front, but the rear is just a little off (but everyone says it won't be a problem).

It may be a little while though, depending on when I get #2. If it looks like I won't be buying my next bike anytime soon, I'll probably just get some new tires mid next month. What's your time frame to buy?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Timeframe to buy is ASAP. The tire that came on the bike looks like a 2x4 wrapped around the rim. I ride behind her and watch her corner and the rear end wags thru the turns. She is so new that she doesn't understand what is going on, but I want to get a better SPORT tire on there for her, not looking for width. OEM sizes are fine by me, just want something better than that crap that is on there now.

Thanks for all the info!

PEACE!

·
Premium Member
24,352 Posts
:lol:

Beat me to it! :laugh:

If you want measurements of the tires (Before they are fitted, of course) just tell me, so maybe you can compare sidewall dimensions :smile:

·
Premium Member
24,352 Posts
Definitely, but maybe you are interested in the sidewall height, tread depth...I just seem to remember someone wanting to get lower profile tires...

Maybe it wasn't you /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
What's a sport curve? Yes I'm a newb.

Also, check out Ron Ayers (no relation) for good prices. When I specced out the Sport Demons for my 93 EX, they came up to under $150 for the pair with $6 shipping each. The fron was about $58 and the rear was about $85 (going from my notoriously bad memory). Your mileage may vary though since I'm still on the 16"s, and based on the body work (the BIKE!) she's on the newer 17" wheels.

Ron Ayers Pirelli Site

·
Premium Member
24,352 Posts
I think what flankr is referring to is the profile of the tire in regards to how spherical it looks. Old bike tires used to kind look like car tires; not as rounded. Thus the 2x4 referance :smile:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
ShadeTree said:
What's a sport curve? Yes I'm a newb.

Also, check out Ron Ayers (no relation) for good prices. When I specced out the Sport Demons for my 93 EX, they came up to under $150 for the pair with $6 shipping each. The fron was about $58 and the rear was about $85 (going from my notoriously bad memory). Your mileage may vary though since I'm still on the 16"s, and based on the body work (the BIKE!) she's on the newer 17" wheels.

Ron Ayers Pirelli Site

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, great prices! thanks for the linky!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
flankr7 said:
Liked that one? Click on my sig then... Should be more smiles for you...

[/ QUOTE ]
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
LOVELY! :waytogo: :applause:

·
Premium Member
24,352 Posts
Bump :smile:

I figured I'd answer in this forum because any GS riders don't even bother to look into the Suzuki forum...

Fitted the Sport Demons on last week, and boy do I love them!
I've ridden in them now in the wet, cold and hot outside.
They are very confidence inspiring in higher speed conrnering, though I believe the low end flicking has suffered a bit.

These tires are a gross improvement over the Metz's...which were a gross improvement over the BT-45's. After getting these tires fitted, I'm not sure if I want to try Avons next :crazy:

The Pirelli's definitely have a softer compound. I was taking a set of corners, and then got off the bike to check some scenery out, and noticed that the tires are getting some (mild) shredding. Pretty damn cool if you ask me...especially since I've never done that on tires before :laugh:

:waytogo: :waytogo:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.