Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
I rode it about 4 years ago, keep trying to get back there again! I loved it on my 600 but it's gonna be a bear on my 929. Go thru the week if you can because it gets packed on the weekends with lots of bikes. The biggest thing to worry about thru the week is a tractor trailer that wanders in by accident.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My buddy said he wanted to take me there this spring. He says it's a lot of fun but I hope he was exaggerating when he said that on average, one person dies there a week.

---Mark

·
eScreaming Dizbuster
12,112 Posts
The report of a death a week is greatly exaggerated, but serious injury is a regular part of the fun there, along with wrecked bikes and speeding (or worse) tickets.

I found this tonight while looking for another news article. Here's the relevant passage --

"Meanwhile, for the second straight year, rural Graham County was found to pose the greatest risk for dying in a traffic crash, and is also the most dangerous for motorcycle collisions. Graham County includes the Nantahala National Forest and roads generally sought for their scenic beauty and sharp curves, AAA Carolinas said."

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It's definately somewhere everyone ought to ride once. However, there's lots of other places just as fun with a lot less traffic. When you go, have plenty of fun but here's a bit of advice:

Go during the week, less traffic and less cops.
If you speed or otherwise ride stupidly, expect to get an expensive ticket. They don't give warnings.
Please don't crash, you'll ruin the day for everyone else.
Please stay on your own side of the road. You came for the curves, why straighten them?
Be nice and don't talk smack, I guarantee there's somebody there faster than you.
When said faster person comes up behind you, please move over.
When said faster person goes by, please don't ride over your head trying to keep up. You'll crash.

Again, have all the fun you want, just try not to ruin everyone else's fun. :809028-ridin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.