Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting in the Ducati forum-wow!, so this it what it's like in here...

I'm adding a new bike to the stable this winter and am looking for any sage advice you guys might have to offer. I got bit by the vtwin bug early this season (no Harley jokes please ;-) and it really got incurable after getting the chance to rack up some miles on both an ST4 and a Monster. Since my riding is almost always just a day sortie or a rare track day I decided on the 996 and have found 2 real nice bikes within driving distance. I started the research process a few months ago (figuring I'd buy in the off season to save a few bucks) and think I have a fair handle on the common issues. One of the bikes I'm looking at is just after the 6k service and one just before. I've pretty much decided I'll pull the top end down and do the rocker arms as a pre-emptive strike (those cams are eyewatering expensive aren't they). I'm planning on logging a thousand miles or so first to get a handle on anything else I might want to address at the same time. Other than that my intentions are only minor mods like the flywheel, clutch, and wheels. I'm wondering what popular opinion is on preferred shims/collets, and how many guys are using the belt tension gauge from ca cycle. I know a guy who purchased one, but he hasn't done the 12k yet. Internet forums and posts are great to read about reliability issues and failures, but not much on successes and trouble free miles. Also, does anybody offer rocker arm sets on a pre exchange basis? I read Lt. Snyder's book. Any other noteworthy sources besides the factory manual? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have 19K miles on my 2000 996 and haven't had any major problems. The only issue I've experienced are cracked coolant tanks. I've gone through 3 of them!!! I think they're poorly manufactured and tend to leak at the seams. Other that that no problems and love the bike. As an additional minor mod I recommend going up several teeth in the rear sprocket (I went up 4 teeth) b/c they're geared way to tall stock. Also, get rid of stock filters/restrictors and get an inbox air filter. Good Luck!

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
and have found 2 real nice bikes within driving distance.

[/ QUOTE ]
what years are they...? just tore apart 2 '99 996's and they both had bad rocker arms. one has 10k, the other 13k. neither bike however could be considered a model for stellar maintenance.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one I've pretty well settled on is a 2000 and it has 7800 mi. I've decided that I need to replace belts and check the rockers right away just out of general principles. 6K was done a year ago. Any favorites with rocker repair or should I go the megacycle route?

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
yeah, i believe it's either megacycle (welding, then reshape) or what guy martin does which borders really on the verge of a ground-up remanufacture. i kinda get the idea the MBP route is the process BCM sources for their arm restoration. the comment i got from them is that they do something "better" than megacycle...? i'm like okay fine... then DON'T tell me. :rolling: but then of course it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the proximity Laconia is to Quebec. :laugh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts