Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went out to fire up my old 7R and it would't start. I put the key in, and all the lights came on, I hit the starter switch and nothing. When I hit the starter button the headlights come on but that's it. I tried to jump it put it didn't do anything. Do you guys think it's the starter switch?

Also, does anyone know how to get a drop of tree sap off the seat of the 12R?/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
4 Posts
well, if your light turned on and everything, then its not your battery, it might be the starter. same thing happened to my buddy's bike. his lights turned on and it wouldnt start. he walked it for a minute or two and then for some strange reason, he tried it, and it worked. walk your bike for a while and then give it a whirl. thats my $0.02. hope it works.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i had the exact same situation last summer i solved it by bomb-starting it...

I never kiss the pavement, I make mad erotic love to it. OOHH YEAH!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Test the safety switches before you tear into the starter. Neutral, clutch, and kickstand.

You do have the kill switch on don't you? /images/icons/wink.gif Actually - if you aren't in the habit of turning it on and off, and it gets turned off for some reason, it is easy to miss /images/icons/laugh.gif.

·
Registered
283 Posts
if you try and pull away with the side stand down, it'll cut out, might that be the prob??

Things To See, People To DO....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Josh,

Try the following.

Bump start the bike to prove theres nothing wrong with the engine and let it run with the lights off for about 15mins to make sure the battery is up to charge.

Stop the engine and try to start it with the starter button. Listen for a click each time you press the button. No click means the problem is in the starter button/stand switch/neutral switch circuit.

If you hear the click each time, then the problem is either the starter motor or the motor lead connections which can be prone to corrosion.

A quick way to check the starter motor (don't do it if you're not sure as touching a live jump lead on your frame will mark it) is to disconnect the motor lead. Attach a jump lead to the starter motor terminal and then touch the other end of the jump lead on the battery positive. If the motor turns the problem is in the starter button circuit or the lead/terminals.

I presume you've checked all the fuses!

I strippes a starter motor down once and refurbished it only to find the problem persisted. I'd already checked 12V at the starter terminal so I assumed it had to be the motor. There was corrosion on the starter relay terminal that caused a high resistance so when I measured the voltage in 0 current situation it said 12V but there wasn't enough current in the cicuit to turn the motor. A simple cleaned terminal would have saved me a lot of time and skinned knuckles - has anyone ever tried getting a starter motor off and on an oil cooled gixer?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts