Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone can help figure out this noise. The noise is best described as a plastic rattle (imagine a broken piece of plastic in a plastic box being shaken) it seems to be coming from the headstock area of my bike ( 2000 vfr). This noise is heard when my bike is in 1st gear and the clutch lever is pulled in. It doesn't do it in neutral with the clutch in, but when i engage first gear and start to let out the clutch a little it will start rattling. Once the clutch is fully engaged and the bike is moving, the noise is not heard. I can make the noise happen by just slightly letting the clutch in and out in first gear, but not letting the clutch out enough to start engagement. I had new clutch and brake fluids put in this summer, could it possibly be air in the clutch fluid or lines? Another hypothesis is that the clutch line is bulging and rattling on something plastic???

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about that, but why is it related to the clutch being modulated in first gear? If it was just something in the airbox, wouldn't it make that noise constantly?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Let it go its not important , and if you fix it youll just get a new rattle a day later . Either that or buy an aprilia

·
eWorldChamp
5,754 Posts
not neccessarily [sp?]... if the constant airflow would press it against the filter, than you wouldn´t hear the rattle at higher speeds (higher gears), another guess would be, that clutching and accelerating in first gear mean more low-frequent vibrations trough your bike, which might be at the resonance-frequency of the rattling thingedibop...

but it was just a guess, i don´t have so much expierience with bikes, but had similar probs with my previous car, which dissapeared, when i changed filters... /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
eScreaming Dizbuster
12,112 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
. . . i don´t have so much expierience with bikes. . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you have the nomenclature correct. . .

[ QUOTE ]
. . . rattling thingedibop. . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

:lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts