Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and that's exactly what it sounded like on banks. i must say, a ducati (even a 2-valver) got's nothin' on this thing when at FULL CHAT...!!! :) even the older lightning bikes couldn't hold a candle...!!! LOL

1/2

notice the added bracing on the right side of the swingarm...

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2/2

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
There's just something about the exhaust note of an air-cooled pushrod motor (airplane buffs, think of a big old P&W radial or something). Last time I was at Pocono, there were a few raced-up Buells practising, and the 3 of them dragging down the straight the first time had me looking up for the airplane.

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Thats Mike Cicotto's bike. He placed second in the ProThunder and did very well among the sea of GSXR750s in the 750SS. That bike looks sweet but in stock form I would rather the original lightning...just looks hardcore.

Take care,
Gregory

I could have been a squid, but I was too busy posing.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah nom, when i hear this bike... i think of the Rolls Merlin engine of WW2 Mustang fame. and the aluminum grand stands at pocono are the perfect venue in which to first experience 'em. it's like sitting in an "ampi-theater" or something. LOL the lightning bikes and aircooled 2-valve ducks literally "quake" the stands as they roar down the straights...!!! it sends chills down my spine... :)

yeah red, i was noticing during the 750ss practice call ups that i kept seeing mike and the XB streak by us at the goodyear garage heading for pit out. i was like, where the hell is that guy going...??? :) then, approximately a minute-55 later, i'd hear a roar come reverberating through the back walls of the garage behind us as a he came diving down off the bank onto the start/finish straight. after 2-days of this, i finally realized that he was planning to get a little extra development time by also campaining the superstock class. i didn't think he'd be allowed to enter that bike...???

the bike looks wicked... i just wished they came up with a better paint job...??? i wouldn't mind if they came up with a modern all orange and black livery reminiscent of the now defunct harley davidson team. :) that little bit of orange stripe ain't cuttin' it...

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for starters, retain the dark grey color and maybe change all the area that's currently blue to orange...? just an idea...

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
answering my own question... it seems the rule change for the supersport (now called superstock) class now also allows other bikes like the buell and the ducati to compete as of this year. rewatching the race i saw montano listed as running his duck. ciccotto started 22nd and finished 26th. higbee started 36th, but i think he retired much like half the grid chose to do. it was 73 deep at the start, but only something like 30 chose to soldier on to the checkered.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
wow shamar1... I saw all the firebolt demo bikes riding all over the place and wasn't impressed too much... But that bike doesn't look half bad...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Damn, That is sick!!! I gotta say this is gonna get interesting.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Could someone tell me the reason behind having the chain on the right side?

I'm not quite up on my Buell knowledge /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
I'm guessing that it's because the XL engine is loosely based on a dirt track motor. Like many speciallized forms of racing it likely evolved. In it's present form...since most races are like NASCAR, one big left turn it's probably on the right to keep it from being lowsided into the dirt mucking up the drive line. If you highside there is likely gonna be a whole lot more wrong than just the drive line. Simplly designing it to meet the task. Anyway the Firebolt motor is an oversquare version of the XL sportster motor

Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow...
...that's what makes my thumper go

·
Registered
132 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
. . . i wouldn't mind if they came up with a modern all orange and black livery reminiscent of the now defunct harley davidson team. :smile: that little bit of orange stripe ain't cuttin' it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're talking my lingo. Orange (major color) and black & white (minor color) . . . then put a big "oSu" on the side . . . when I get my XBR I am going to repaint it with this color scheme . . . I post pics when I'm done.

·
Registered
395 Posts
/wwwthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifkewl pics blah paint scheme lol :help:
dont ya like my poiple lmao :bawling: :bawling:

artwork n 4 coats clearcoat today

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
ohhh man! you're not kidding. I vaguely remember the Dr. John Moto guzzis from the eighties. I had not a clue, nor the money to buy one (or both) at the time. I will say that these new rules look mighty promising for Buells and MG's. And actually, I'm convinced the Buell is actually nicer, and prepped for the track probably costs about the same as an MGS-01. The MG actually uses a modified centauro motor, and costs about 4 times more. I'm going to look at a buell before making my final decision on a buy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts