Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the original thread...

http://esport.sportbikes.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=roadracing&Number=17145&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5

note, although i reduced the file sizes, i still left the pics big in view size (1200x800) so you can get a better idea of what i'm describing. i drove out last sunday armed with the digital camera and walked the track. while it does possess some hazards, i was pleasantly surprised to find how WIDE the track was. at it's smallest, it was still about 30 ft in width...!!! :)

personally, i have no reservations about running it, so long as it's with a small group and the group is composed of other expert riders. with the track being so wide and the circuit so twisty, you're really not going to be carrying that much speed in most of those turns. if you crashed...? once you came to rest, you'd probably find you were still ON PAVEMENT...! LOL

as you'll see there are some areas that could use a bit of air fence... like where there are some telephone poles along side the track. the way i look at it though, it's still many times safer than riding on the street. this is born out by the fact that 2 local guys (both young) just got killed in my area in the past week. as the story goes, both were up to "shananigans" (ie. hi-speed & wheelies) they really had no business engaging in on busy city and suburban streets. :(

anyway, in addition to walking, i even took MY CAR out on the track. there was nobody around, so i figured... "what the heck?" :) i only drove it at about 40mph, but i felt i could've driven it at twice that. so with that in mind, i estimate, a bike is good for another 20-40mph for a top speed of about 120. the track would be great for those with 125's or 250cc "2-smokes" and is more than "good time" adequate for everyone besides those owning "open class" bikes like R1's and gixxer1000's.

so overall, i give it a thumbs up. since i went, i only wish i had ridden a bike out there to sample the track. if i had one, i'd go back for a "sneak run". for the moment, it's wide open, you can just walk/ride right on. :) for me, it's exactly 45 miles and 45 minutes away... so for anybody living more than 60 miles/60 minutes away of exit 8A, it's probably not worth the trip. it just so happens that exit 5 off the NJTPK is right behind my house. :)

1/7

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: my new track site survey is complete

a wide shot

2/7

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

another

3/7

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

a shot of one of the more blatant safety concerns

4/7

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

however, a shot of the banked turn. although hard to tell from this pic... believe me, it's more of a "bank" than just added "camber". i guess it's about 10-12 degrees...? NIIIICCCEEE...!!!

5/7

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

a nice little switchback

6/7

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

a pic of one of the wider 50ft. sections... the straight... it'll fit 5-6 cars abreast easily

7/7

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

ooops... almost forgot... a pic of one of the 2 MX tracks right next to it. me thinks a KTM or a dual-sport of some kind is in me future...! :)

1/1

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Re: my new track site survey is complete (englisht

Very nice...hopefully it's twisty enough! Supermotard-USA is looking at possibly holding several races there this year. Looking at the aerial pics though, I wonder if they'll have a dirt section. Probably not, but it should be fun anyhow...

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
Registered
863 Posts

shamar1, my amigo, I wouldn't run that track even if:

1. I was paid a great deal of money
2. I was wearing a full airbag suit
3. I was riding your bike /images/icons/wink.gif

What a frickin' deathtrap!/images/icons/shocked.gif

If I want to run the risk of going head-on into something, I'll stay on the street, I won't pay money to go to an alleged racetrack

NOT MADE FOR ANYTHING BIGGER THAN A Z50!

Later

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

well here's to hopin' i won't have to pay... LOL but now that i've seen it for me self, i'll take a track (even this tiny one) over the street any day. the risk is acceptable (again, for me anyway) compared to some of the crazy stuff, i'm ashamed to say... i've done on the street.

sure does beat going off the edge and down an embankment and having to wait hours for the paramedics and a truck to arrive. :( ask madav8tr... he'll tell ya... LOL

http://esport.sportbikes.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=Ducati&Number=27249&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
with all due respect, there are atleast 3 places that a bike to bike collision could occur, not safe enough from where I'm sitting....

<font color=yellow>Zoom,Zoom,Zoom</font color=yellow>
<font color=yellow>MOVE OVER COMIN' THRU</font color=yellow>

·
Registered
793 Posts
Well, fook it! <font color=blue>shamar1</font color=blue>, (and I gotta hook up with you bro) you seem very knowledgeable with this type of stuff. I'm very into trying to get out there and start racing but don't know where to start. Hey, who knows..Actually, I'm just tired of tryin to do it on the street. Any suggestions on how to start this?

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yup, sure do fly... you can check out the team promotion or nesba track day organizations. i'm a member of both. i recommend team pro if only because i know the owner (glen goldman) and his wife, but either/or are great. i've included two others as well to check out.

a good friend of mine is a member of marrc... and he got his race license through them, so i'll recommend them too, but note... they're primarily out of summit pt WV... and that's a 4 hour drive from us in the delaware valley. the other 3 rotate heavily up at pocono and i can make it there in 2 hours exactly.

http://www.teampromotion.com

http://www.nesba.com/default.asp

http://www.reduc.com

http://marrc.nova.org

if you need anymore help... feel free to ask or PM me...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts