Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately my ferret has not been doing well. We had taken her to the vet and the vet was concerned she would not walk right due to un-named trauma .
We had to help her pee and poop for the last couple of months .
Things seemed to be going good for a while and then got drastically worse . This morning we woke up to get ready for work and I went to check on her as I usually do and she was dead .
It sucks because people thinks .. " its just a ferret" but we took so much time with her taking her to the dr's and helping her around .
What do you do with your animals?
My g/f said we should bury her ..

The spot on her arm where she has no hair was from her IV .

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Looks like a cool critter. I have a 17 year old dog I grew up with that we're expecting to drop soon.

Good thing is, you can buy a new one and start over. But, I doubt I'll ever have a dog as sweet and loving and that first one...

·
Registered
796 Posts
Micah is right, you can get a new one. Don't let that make you feel guilty either. I had a dog that was my buddy for 12 years. I had to put him down a couple of years ago. I was bummed. For the past year I've had a new buddy. I love her. But I still remember my Scrappy fondly and will never forget about him.

Ferrets seem cool. I'd like to have one. Don't think my two cats would get along well with one though. Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Oldbike, I sympathize with you. I just lost my ferret on tuesday as a matter of fact. :bawling: She died from a tumor on her adrenal gland (weird huh?). About 2 years ago she showed some strange symptoms (loss of hair, loss of weight, etc.), so I took her to the vet to find out it was a tumor.

She had surgery to have it removed, but I was warned that it would more than likely come back. I was also warned that it would shorten her lifespan. Well, it came back in force and there wasn't much I could do. It was just her time to go I guess.

I sympathize with your loss, but your little buddy is in a better place with no pain. I say mourn your loss as long as you feel necessary and then try again. There are plenty of ferrets out there that need a good home. :smile:

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
MrBungle said:
Oldbike, I sympathize with you. I just lost my ferret on tuesday as a matter of fact. :bawling: She died from a tumor on her adrenal gland (weird huh?). About 2 years ago she showed some strange symptoms (loss of hair, loss of weight, etc.), so I took her to the vet to find out it was a tumor.

She had surgery to have it removed, but I was warned that it would more than likely come back. I was also warned that it would shorten her lifespan. Well, it came back in force and there wasn't much I could do. It was just her time to go I guess.

I sympathize with your loss, but your little buddy is in a better place with no pain. I say mourn your loss as long as you feel necessary and then try again. There are plenty of ferrets out there that need a good home. :smile:

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks man I appreciate it ...
I am still feeling pretty sad which is odd being that I am mourning a ferret but my g/f is taking it really hard .
She kept crying this morning and says that she feels like it was her fault for not taking her back to the vets ..
I dont think we are going to get another ferret . It was pretty hard to take care of this one .. we did spend alot of our time playing with her :bawling: and its going to be odd to go home and not see her silly little had popping up behind the couch or sleeping in my sock drawer :frown:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I hear ya Oldbike. It is wierd mourning a ferret, but damn it, they are still living creatures, so why not mourn their passing.

I agree with you though, I am not getting another ferret either. They are great little animals, but another one just doesn't feel right.

Again, my sympathies to you.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss Old, the passing of a beloved pet is no easier on some as that of a human relative. I hope you know that you did all you could ferrets however are prone to tumors and once they get them all you can do is make them comfortable to the end. When some time passes maybe you could find another and surprise your gf with it after she has enough time to morn her loss. Don't think that this had anything to do with you as surrogate parents from your pics your ferret looks like it was well cared for :waytogo:

And again you have my sincerest sympathies :bawling:

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
I sympathize with your loss however I disagree with the folks who say not to get another...I can't imagine my house pet free...I had a ferret for years and though my present housing, overseas for a decade now, has prevented me from owning another, my house would feel downright lonely without my cats...not sure how they're gonna take to a ferret but I shall see in another year or two when I return to the states. Morn her as you see fit but don't close you mind to another friend...life is too short to deprive your self of animal companionship.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Sorry for you loss. Losing a pet is just like losing any other member of the family. Take some time to grieve. If it feels right you’ll get a new ferret.

We used to have one in my fraternity in college. Coolest animal there is. I’ve wanted one for a long time but they are illegal in California.

Again sorry for your loss.

·
aprilia junkie
16,379 Posts
so sorry to hear that, olbike.... it's still all gut wrenching to think about when our ferret died... I was going away for the weekend and knew it was the last time I'd see her, so I spent some time with her and said goodbye...
no shame in feeling sorrow for your little bandit... I miss all the funny things our ferret used to do.
by all means bury her. there's nothing wrong with that, and i'm sorry to hear about this. :frown:

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
http://www.cypresskeep.com/Ferretfiles/Legal-PPN.htm

[ QUOTE ]
Why Are Ferrets Illegal In Some Places?

Most laws that specifically prohibit ferrets are based on ignorance or misinformation. Lets explore these myths:

MYTH: Ferrets are Wild Animals! Not So! Mustela putorius furo has been domesticated for thousands of years, possibly longer than the housecat! Records of albino household ferrets date back to early Greeks, around 450 BC. Furthermore, ferrets are recognized as domestic by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA 1996 Title 9). The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) and the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) also officially recognize ferrets as domestic companion animals.

MYTH: Ferrets are a Rabies Risk! The USDA approved the IMRAB-3 vaccine for ferrets in 1991. Different states have different rabies vaccination rules for ferrets (usually between 3 and 6 months). If you are selling ferret kits, you should inform the new ferret owner when the shot is needed. Even without a rabies shot, scientific studies and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) show that ferrets are unlikely to either catch or transmit rabies. In 1998, the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) concluded that ferrets, in the slight possibility that they contract rabies, die within a few days. Therefore, a rabies quarantine policy was set for 10 days, just like cats and dogs.

MYTH: Ferrets Are Dangerous, Vicious Animals! Ferrets have gained a bad reputation based on a few incidences widely reported in the media of ferret attacks on children. In every case, the ferret was severely abused. As with any animal, a ferret may bite when it is frightened or in pain. However, studies by the CDC and AVMA show that humans are many times more likely to be bitten by a dog, cat, rabbit, snake, or human than a ferret. However, the ASPCA and the HSUS warn that "NO pet should be left unsupervised with a child."

MYTH: Feral Ferrets! Another fallacious argument is that if ferrets became legal everywhere, they could escape and establish feral populations that would destroy native wildlife and threaten farm production. Shannon Taylor, manager of the Creature Castle in Valrico, Florida laughed at the recent New York City ruling against ferrets: “There are so many crops for ferrets to destroy in New York City! Like a ferret would destroy a crop anyway!” Ms. Taylor adds that “Most ferrets sold in petstores are spayed or neutered (or should be), because if they’re not fixed, ferrets are smelly and experience health problems.” There are NO feral ferret populations in North America. The endangered black-footed ferret (Mustela nigripes) is the wild American cousin of the domestic pet ferret, but they can’t interbreed. Finally, domestic ferrets, because they have lived with man for so long, have lost many survival instincts. They don’t see well, have lost hunting instincts, and have little fear. Most pet ferrets survive only a few days in the wild, particularly in hot conditions.

What’s Your Status?

The above information shows that most arguments for declaring ferrets illegal are invalid. Shannon Taylor of Creature Castle says, “I never knew any actual, legitimate reason for ferrets to be illegal.” However, local codes remain on the books that you must be aware of. Start with the Department of Fish and Game to see if ferrets fall under their jurisdiction (indicating that ferrets have been declared as "wild"). Then get the complete animal control codes from the county or city where your petstore is located.

[/ QUOTE ] .

I think this is true ..

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
That sucks.

We recently had a trauma here as well. One of our hermit crabs died. :bawling:

I'll really miss his smiling face. :frown:

But the upside is that we finally got to see what they really look like without thier shell. :808908-wtf:

Aliens anyone?

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. I too used to have a ferret and was the most entertaining and loving pet I have ever had!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.