Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i just got over 1000 miles and got the final servicing on my R1. So i Figure its time to get on my 2 bikes and give a comparision now the R1 is still stock, Im waiting for other people to buy and write up on them first :).

Speed - Ok the Gixxer has a tad more power now i say tad because i really cant tell much of a differce top speed for me on the Gixxer was 170 (Probally more like 160 or so) on the new R1 about 145 so far... Its PA not to many straights but a damn lotta twisties.....

Handling - No Comparision the R1 wins hands down, i sit much better in the R1 so it makes it better to take twisties with it :). I also like coming out of corners with the R1 I can punch the throttle and feel confident the gixxer sometimes scares the [censored] outa me.

Wheelies - Ill report back on this one :)

Stopies - Well the R1 has much better brakes but ill have to get back to guys on this one as well..

·
Registered
376 Posts
There you have it boys and girls, straight from the horses mouth. There is so little difference between the two it all boils down to the rider. The 1k gixxer has again been smoked out to be another lochness monster!! I hate it when I am right!

·
Registered
793 Posts
WildRS, mannnn you are predictable. /images/icons/laugh.gif Mark, where are ya in P.A.? Your profile says Brooklyn. Lots of nice roads in P.A. and upstate for that matter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Live in Brooklyn, Ride in PA, actaully my parents live up by tannersville (The Crossings) right over 80. I had my gixxer in new york for the end of the summer is was great to go to the shore with and all but for just a fun drive you cant so Im gonna proabally leave them up there maybe take one to the city for a couple of weeks during the middle of the summer

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hey I cant help it, its like shooting ducks in a barrel! I like the gixxers but come on, lets be realistic! The best one so far is when the guys got rid of his gixxer1k for the Mille and shows up at bike night and gets asked, how does it compare, the reply "Nothing compares, all power, no waiting!", but the Mille only has 118hp!! It's all in the power delivery, peak horsepower isn't everything!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Tannersville, no kidding. My parents live a bit past there but great roads anyhow. I get up there as much as I can.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have 2 friends witch own both bikes as well and they have said the COMPLETE opposite so no you don't have it. The Gixxers power isn't peak power, it's power from bottom to top. Any dyno will tell you that. I like the R1 very much and have riden it enough to know, and at least compared to the 01 R1, it's pretty different in power. So basically it comes down to a he said he said situation.
I find this post rather funny that this guy is saying that his STOCK 02 R1 feels just a tad down in power against his 01 Gixxer 1000 that has been modded. Little hard for me to believe.

Let other people be right sometimes...it soothes them for being nothing else!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Easy there guy, not tryin to start any fights :), Im not the type of rider to punch my bikes all that much I get on the both of them, but some of my buddies (Most) do ride harder than me. I am just giving MY opinions. I i will say it the GSXR is faster......But the yami looks better :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey guys. Well first of all, i know whatever i say Ianr1 will jump down my bike and write in telling me how crappy my bike is bc he is jealous. (jk ian take a chill pill before you write here) jk equals JOKE <--- I hope you can read that.

Anyway. I think comparing bikes is stupid. If i didn't think it was. i would pull out the spec sheets and say the gixxer has it hands down. But its not that simple.

I think the r1 is easier to ride. My friend bought an 02 two weeks ago. I have rode it twice and it is a great bike. It feels lighter then the gixxer to me eventhough the gixxer is much light then the r1. I really like the position and feel of the gixxer . I put 100 miles on it two weeks ago and it felt like nothing. Maybe for taller riders it might feel different but forme it felt great.

One thing i did notice was that the suspension on the gixxer felt more stable. i was going 100 and it felt like 40. I never had that feeling on my r1, the suspension felt sloppy. maybe it wasnt dialed in right, im not sure, but it felt different.

As for power. The first thing i noticed when i jumped on my 02 gixxer 1000 is that the low end to top end was strong. There really istn' a special place where the power kicks in because its everywhere. I can bounce the front tire under 40mph in second just by flicking the throttle like i could in first on my r1. My friends new r1s throttle response was better then the previous r1s because of FI, but it still didn't seem to have quite the low end power. I never ran it to redline so i don't know about the top end. I can't really get on my bike yet bc i am still breaking it in. Im not supposed to take it above 6k. But i have pulled up 2nd gear and rode a few out for a ways before hitting 6k just in powering them up. its awesome. I had full akrapovic and ivan jet kiton my old r1. The power feels close to the gixxer (stock) but the low end on the r1 wasn't there. The new r1 i can feel the power increase from the FI alot more then the old one.

The main thing once again, the r1 is easier to ride. The gixxer feels more likea full fledged race bike. Face down ass up, soo stable, yet not the bike you might take out on a sunday evening to relax around town. The gixxer is simply harder to ride for that reason. But once you hit those twisties and lean it over, you feel that the bike was made for that.

I am not going to say one bike is better then the other one. Anyone who wants to write in saying this is bs or whatever bikes sucks. PROVE YOUR IMMATURITY and do it. All iam saying is what i noticed. maybe somethign else will think differently. WHO CARES. in my mind these two bikes are by far the best liter bikes you can buy. Sorry but I think the 954 doesnt' compare at all. But thats just what i think. So anyway, i think the 02r1 is a sweet bike. When it comes down to it. certain things appeal to people and thats why the buy the bike they do. if you put these bikes up against eachother on twisties, track, in town, straight line, drag, you name it, it will all come down to the abilities. EVERYONE has said that a 1000 times. a 9r could beat anyone of these bikes if the rider is better. anyway i am tired of writing. have fun on your bike. LETS RIDE!

Learn how to get it up!

·
Registered
359 Posts
2002????
Are you saying that the GSXR1k walked you on the freeway/straight line?? How were they matched in midrange? Could you keep up at all?

Take it to the streets.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The GSXR wasnt much faster to me put it does pull better in 3rd, the R1 has a great mid-range but gets much more ballsy after 6500

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
That's where the Gixxer shines... Third gear and above. With the TRE mod it will run away from the R1 on the top three gears.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Man, I know how the Gixxer ran from my '00 R1 and it wasn't stock by no means. Yamaha didnt do too much to the '02's engine. I find it hard to believe that R1 can match the gixxer in a straight line race.

Take it to the streets.

·
Registered
376 Posts
So what rpm is the gixxer at, at redline in 3rd? Then, what does that equate to on the R-1, speed, gear and rpm wise? Just curious!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think in straightline the gixxer will definitly beat the 02 r1 in times. But I think it will be a lot closer then everyone thinks. The FI yami introducted is one of the best. THe throttle response felt great. Better throttle response = more hp. That why its pulling upper 130s with no major engine changes. I could definitly feeel a huge difference between the carbs and FI on the 02 r1.

Learn how to get it up!

·
Registered
423 Posts
im not sure what redline is (still breaking mine in) but I know the gixxer 1000 is geared higher then the r1. the gix1k redlines at 90 in first and my r1 redlined at 80

Learn how to get it up!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts