Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After comment from Yeller I decided to repost the track pics, but this time using the higher quality images.

Look how small the MV looks compared to the other bikes. :wink:

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
:blush: ..Be still my beating heart!!! VERY cool!!! :bow:

Am I being dumb here, but what does the C4 stand for? Dynamite?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
So you're team mates are Wiley Koyote (sp?), Roadrunner & Speedy Gonzales then, right??

:cwm27:

·
aprilia junkie
16,379 Posts
geesh! and my buddy (who also has a Mille) was telling me I shouldn't take the Aprilia on the track so much b/c it's "an expensive bike"

... it's moderately priced compared to that augusta! :shocked:
VERY friggin' cool of you to take that beauty on the track, WFO, instead of letting it sit in a garage not doing anything. :tongue:

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
VERY friggin' cool of you to take that beauty on the track, WFO, instead of letting it sit in a garage not doing anything

[/ QUOTE ]
the track IS that bikes home. /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif actually when the strada versions first appeared a few years ago, i was presently surprised at how cheap they were (relative to the oro). they just "look" like a "million bucks"...!!! :laugh: the financial difficulties cagiva experienced most certainly put a dent in sales in all the 750's that DID make it stateside (and there were plenty). even though it looked incredible, people were afraid to shell out for something that may have ended up defunct. :crazy: thank bejeezus for proton. :applause: almost a no-brainer to save them given the product they had (F4 and brutale)... even if they never made an F5...? :shocked: if there has ever been an investment in history with a 100% gaurantee on the return...? that was it...!!! :Wow1: you could sign the papers with your eyes closed on that one.

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My bike was $17,300 OTD with ti race pipe + chip. (later I added a power commander) Money wasnt the issue so much as the idea of sitting out the rest of the season (or longer!) waiting for a sub frame or plastics to be shipped from Italy. THAT is what kept me tip-toeing around the track.

But I was pleasently surprised by how well it performed actually. On paper it's a bit heavy and low on torque. But once on the track the weight mattered not a wit. (I ran a nearly empty gastank :wink: ) The low torque powerband took some getting used to. you just have to adjust your riding. This was complicated by the stock gearing which is ultra-high. I had to abuse the shiet out it by downshifting hard, usually twice, entering turns in order to be anywhere near the powerband on exits. I had her screaming like a banshee, the sound of which several bystanders enjoyed. :tongue: Several guys on litre bikes commented on how they couldnt motor past me on the straight. I wasnt expecting that, especially since the straight isnt long enough to use my over-tall gearing. But she does pull well once in the powerband, and the powerband is wide enough.

It's true the bike is most at home on the track. The aggressive ergo's, the way it handles all contribute to a less than perfect street ride, and a near perfect track ride.

That said, I still think it's more fun being on the track with a bike that is cheap and ugly. :wink: In this way bikes are like women.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
758 Posts
And don't let the "tip-toeing" comment fool ya, he was rollin' out there... showin' some people on those other Italian marques how to really ride. :bow:

And I must say, it's even a nice bike to follow, the noise is just intoxicating :lol: :waytogo:

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
I dunno much about 'em either but they are inlines, WFOs and most of 'em are 750s but they did just come out with a 1000 this year or last. I know I've heard/read the 750s have a really short stroke, down a little bit on power and up a little bit on weight compared to a GSXR750...and their pricey.

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes short stroke=low torque. On the other hand it revs up into the power band quicker because of the short stroke. Kind of wierd to ride, a little like a 2-stroke. Mine is 138.3 on the dyno with full race pipe and PWC.

·
Registered
244 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
ENP83 said:
damn, never mind the whole down on power compared to a gsxr750...i just thought that I read in mag articles that it made high one-teens or right at 120rwhp in stock form.

[/ QUOTE ]

The key to that is stock form. Most owners have a less-restrictive exhaust system mounted. The vast majority of those use the factory MV optional "race" exhaust, known as RG3 (I have no idea where they came up with the name).

My take on the reviews:

"The MV is a little heavier". So what, so is my ass! :lol:

"It's down on power". Like most of us can tell a difference between 125hp and 130hp. Mine dynoed at around 121hp, but that was with 1100 miles on it (and it felt like it really came alive at 3k miles), plus the dyno was pretty ratty looking and I'm not sure it was fully calibrated.

One thing that can't be denied: It's one of the best handling bikes on the street. It always feels completely stable. Only problem I've ever had is a bit of headshake when coming out of slow corners, but I've got the steering damper set really light.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts