Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a factory jet kit and full stainless Muzzy hi- mount exhaust with ti canister. After searching for a shop with good mechanic and dynometer, the place I find says he does't want to see another Kawasaki ZX7R with a Muzzy system. The guy goes on to tell me that he just ran my same bike with a Muzzy for 80 hours on the Dyno and still couldn't get rid of the flat spot around 4000rpm. He went on to say that there are a couple a reasons for that including elavation differences between Cali (where Muzzy is??) and New York, where I am. He suggested I go with a Hindle or Akra, which were my other two choice but I already bought the Muzzy!!! The guy also said that the Muzzy's run better on the GSXR 750. What can or should I do??? Believe him or keep searching for another shop?? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, I've got a 95 ZX-7 myself, with a full Muzzy stainless race exhaust. I havn't had any problems at all with it, in fact, I love it. In my personal opinion, I wouldn't go with anything other than Muzzy on a Kawasaki. Muzzy and Kawasaki worked very close for a number of years before breaking ties like two years ago? Plus, I love the sound of it, I drown out most other bikes :) And there has got to be a great deal of ZX-7R with Muzzy exhausts. I'd try going to another place personally. Muzzy is a good part of the reason why I still stick with Kawasaki.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Knowing that Kawasaki and Muzzy still pretty much go hand in hand especially with the 7R...Why oh WHY would he try to tell you that it performs better on a Sucksuki? As the Doc would say "you may want to get a second opinion"!!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Just shows this guys impatience and inablility to solve a problem. I wonder if the guy even thought to look into any problems outside of the exhaust or carbs? Look for someone else to help you out!

I'm Not a Pessimist, I'm a Realist!
Kaaaawwww Waaaaaaa Saaaaaaa Kiiiiii

·
Registered
170 Posts
sounds like this technician really doesn`t have the patience or ability to do a job properly. differences in elevation are compensated by jetting not redisigning an exhaust system. by the way muzzy`s is in Bend Oregon.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had a 98 7R with the same setup and it ran just fine.. You need to find a Mechanic that knows what the hell they are doing and talking about. I now own a 9R with a Micron.. which I like better then the Muzzy but they are both great pipes.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
he is a bit frustrated and i'd find someone else....but i also woulda got the akra to be different and have a pipe that doesn't sound like the muzzy...i really kinda dislike how loud they scream, the akra is a bit deeper and howls beautifully at high rpms.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have an Akra Ti full race system (check my profile) and it looks/sounds/performs the best...

many say Muzzy and Kawasaki work closely together - in that case how come all the Kawa WSB bikes run Akrapovic??? and they always have - that's cause they are the highest quality exhaust money can buy (also why it takes a lot of money to buy 'em in the first place) - the most gains to be had from a full system are with the Akra....

Muzzy is only as popular cause it's American, and most of the guys on this board are American too....(although it is a fantastic product in it's own right)

just my .02c

also, go onto some other boards aswell and get a wider opinion - it pays to ask around...(not that the guys on here don't know their sh** - they do!!)

Things To See, People To DO....

·
Registered
257 Posts
Muzzys doesnt deal with superbikes anymore thats why you dont see them on WSB Kawa's but they have many successful years of experience with the ZX-7 and no reason why the mechanic should have any problems.

·
Registered
283 Posts
my point was that they never DID deal with the WSB - at any stage (to my knowledge - prolly gonna be proved wrong here..lol...

anyway they make an outstanding system and you are onto a winner whether it is the Akra or the Muzzy.....

and the guy has NO clue what he is talking about - with an Akra you GET a flat spot around 4k...(with the full race system anyways)
Things To See, People To DO....

·
Registered
257 Posts
Actually now that you mention it I think your right! You could also be right about the flat spot @ 4K but I've never known a Kawasaki mechanic to turn down Muzzy and I cant remember ever seeing a Muzzy pipe on a Suckzuki!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Actually, Muzzy ran the World Superbike team for a number of years. Scott Russell won the championship in 1993 and placed 2nd in 1994 on a Muzzy bike (with a Muzzy pipe). Anthony Gobert also rode a Muzzy WSB with Russell as well. Akro jumped onboard when Muzzy and the factory decided to part ways.

Fear is a darkroom where negatives are developed.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You might want to try an Ivan jet kit. My friend and I both had the same 4k flat spot on our 9R's with the Factory kit and he bought an Ivan...cleared it up. The Ivan needle is tapered in the center section to get rid of the lean spot.

It's not worth it to me to buy the Ivan kit, I normally ride with the rpm much higher than 4k where my friend is usually riding a gear higher that drops him into the 4k range.

<font color=blue>Anyone can ride fast in a straight line...</font color=blue>

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I would think either pipe would be great, heck I have a full race Vance & Hines on my ZX79. The 4k spot can be cleared up easly with a slight turn of the right wrist/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
729 Posts
I will admit that I had problems getting my Muzzy Ti full system jetted just right. To be really honest I will admit that it took two summers of riding and pulling the carbs off to get it just right. But the way it ended up is the best setup I have ever seen in a carb'ed motorcycle hands down. A bud of mine who rides a R1 rode my bike and was shocked at how smooth it was..One of the things MUZZY does suggest is buying the timing advance when you use one of their full systems..the other thing is making sure the Air Injector is disabled on the Kawa..Removal of the Air Injector valve should smooth it out too..The guy probably knows all this but does not want to spend the time with it because if the MUZZY system you get works better with a Factory jet kit, factory kits take a little more effort to get right. Mostly trial and error and a little luck to get it perfect.

My advise would be to find someone who has experience working with the Factory kits and then call Factory Pro (They will give you alot of help over the phone) and see if they have any special instructions for your system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts