Sportbike Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister just called me to see if i was still alive. It seems that another guy has killed himself around my house riding a motorcycle. More later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: It seems that 5 sport bikers where riding east on I-610 East when a guy on a R6 lost control, hit the guard rail, was thrown onto the pavement and rolled over by one of his fellow riders. The other guy is in the hospital in critical condition.
This is verry sad, ride safe peeps. If it don't feel right, it probably aint!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little more info: The guy was doing a wheelie on the HWY. When he came down he went into a major tank slapper, hit the side of the bridge, well you know what happened.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Motorcycles were made with 2 wheels for a reason. They weren't meant to be "unicycles" on the streets or hwys. :rolling:

Please, take your wheelies & squidlet activities to the tracks or at least a "controled environment". It has it's advantages, like immediate ambulance help, you shouldn't get run over by your riding buddie, you're irresponsible actions are not endangering anyone elses life but your own. And, hopefully the testosteronal poisoning you are experiencing will not cost you your life or anyone elses life either.

My sympathy goes to the riders families.
Momma Hen

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
The problem is most people don't see something wrong with him doing a wheelie- they see he's been riding a motorcycle and that this wouldn't have happened in a cage.

For they can't ban bikes immediately they look further and see he's been on a motorcycle therefore probably quite fast (you know, bikes always are fast) and solve this by setting up more speedlimits and controls.

·
eModerator
7,723 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
novos said:
rider's own damn fault. why RIP?

[/ QUOTE ]
I normally dont say anything but that got to me. Are you saying that because he died doing something you consider stupid he should be in eternal torment?? I could never wish that on anybody, when someome passes away the only thing to wish is RIP!

·
aprilia junkie
16,379 Posts
I didn't say eternal torment. but due to being the fault of your own demise for less than intelligent and rational reasons, I don't see the need to bawl and fawn over the person as if they were a victim of a car accident.

I guess being dead in general is resting peacefully, all theological arguments aside.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote of Admin from rocketmadness.com

"word is... (my boss knows the people who were there...)

he was 24
riding 6 mos
bike was an R1
doing a wheelie on 610 lost control / tank slapper perhaps
just graduated college

welcome to the real world people. stunts are not for jr. riders. neither are r1's. neither is 610...

"

·
eScreaming Dizbuster
12,112 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
WFO-900 said:
There was a friggin COW in the middle of the road! That's kind of hard to predict.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not when you live in open range country. And it could be anything. Downed tree branches, dead deer, a dishwasher, broken pavement, wet leaves, sand and gravel, oncoming traffic in my lane -- I've seen all these things and more when rounding blind turns and taking crests.

But that isn't the point. We've all done foolish things on bikes, even Novos has I'm sure. That's no reason to wish a fallen rider ill.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
TravellinJones said:
That's no reason to wish a fallen rider ill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see him as wishing anyone ill, just not falling over with sympathy for the rider. I agree with him. New rider on an R1 stunting in traffic? Why should I sympathize?

·
eScreaming Dizbuster
12,112 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
ShadeTree said:
[ QUOTE ]
TravellinJones said:
That's no reason to wish a fallen rider ill.

[/ QUOTE ]

New rider on an R1 stunting in traffic? Why should I sympathize?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, don't tell me, let me guess. Your insurance premiums are going to increase, right?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
TravellinJones said:
Wait, don't tell me, let me guess. Your insurance premiums are going to increase, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I'm actually not one of the people who cares about that. When it comes to my insurance rate, I'm my worst enemy. Too much speeding when I was younger. Still, stupid is as stupid does.

For example, there was recently a motorcycle fatality here in Austin. A police officer (possibly retired, can't recall) and his wife were both killed when they went off rode. They were involved in a police biker's charity ride. Tragic right?

Well, it turns out that this charity ride involved riding from bar to bar, and drinking heavily. They crashed after leaving the last bar on the way home. The driver's blood alchohol was 0.2x, the pillion was 0.3x (can't recall the last digit). No one knows how she was even able to stand. Before leaving the bar, the driver did a burn out in the middle of the establishment. The smoke was so bad that the entire building had to be cleared. The floor was permanently scarred. So, with a tire that is now in very questionable condition and a blood alchohol ridiculously off the chart, he rides off into the sunset and off the road. He crashed, literally, on the first corner he encountered after leaving the bar. No helmets were involved.

Now, if anyone but a LEO was drinking and jumped on a bike in plain view of a police officer, we know where they'd spend the night and what would happen to the license. Same goes for any idiot who would ride their bike into the middle of a bar and do a burnout. There was a room full of officers, what happened?

From my perspective, if you drink that much and try to balance yourself on two wheels a crash - probably a bad one - is inevitable. If you put a pillion who is even more drunk and therefore probably will unpredictably affect the bike, it's even more predictable. Throw in a highly questionable back tire from his little stunt... how am I supposed to feel sorry for him?

Sorry for the kids they left behind? Yes. Sorry for their parents and family? Sure. Sorry for them? Not likely.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.