Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all whats the difference between a CAL. R6 from a 49 state R6.

second can you convert a Cal. R6 to a 49 state? If possible what parts are you goin to change? How much would it cost? Is it worth it?

Third is it possible to find a 49 state in Cal at all?!? If there is where do I start looking?!!!

Finally for all the Cal. R6 users and others, how much is the difference between the two? If its not that big then I'll go with the Cal.

thanks!!!!!

Power corrupts the mind!!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
The difference is the Ca model has 46 tooth rear sprocket, 49 state has 48 tooth, the cams are different, the CDI is different (49 state allows 15.5K rpm redline), and the CA model has 3-4 pounds of emissions crap added.
You can see all that crap in this photo...

The bottom line, if you dont race you probably dont need to convert to 49 state. I recently did the conversion and am quite happy with the results, but I use that extra top-end and will race the bike. The difference is approx 7-8hp.

The CA model actually has a slightly better low-end but the mid-range and top-end of the 49 state blow it away.

The total cost of the conversion is: $320 for the cams, $280 for the CDI, $60-$80 for a new rear sprocket if you want. Most shops charge $300 or so to install the conversion.

You can find 49 state model bikes in California no problem, dealers get them you just have to get lucky.

Rocket Scientist on <font color=blue>R6</font color=blue>
http://u2.netgate.net/~waverave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot waverave!!! That was a great info, made my life much easier!!!!

Calling out all the riders anyone know where i can get a 49 state R6 in South Cal.? Must be 2001!

thanks again!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts