Laguna as it has swollen back up again and is still a bit of a mess."

"The best way to describe the injury is that you don't realise the
muscles you use until you don't have them. To be honest I never did think
that it was going to be such an issue. Daytona was a problem because I'd
just come out of surgery 24 hours or so before the race and it was just a
big ball and locked up. The pain at Daytona wasn't the issue, it was the
fact that I couldn't hang onto the handlebar and couldn't bend my elbow."

"In the crash at Daytona I didn't think the elbow was such a big deal as
I was more concerned about my right heel and I thought I'd broken my ankle.
The heel is still a problem and is a struggle to walk properly. It doesn't
bother me on the bike, but it has slowed down my training, where I'm trying
to do as much gym work with one arm as I can. Basically it wasn't a good
time of the year for all of this to happen."

In true Mladin character, he will not let the injury affect his
motivation to come away from this weekend's double-header with as many
points as possible. Having given Honda's Nicky Hayden a 38-point advantage
this early in the season won't rest easy with the three times champion who
will endeavour to overhaul the teenager in the remaining fifteen rounds in
an attempt to win an unprecedented fourth consecutive AMA Superbike crown.

Qualifying for this weekend's rounds will conclude on Saturday morning
with the Superbikes taking to the track on Saturday afternoon for the 28-lap
national, before returning for Sunday's third round 28-lap, 100km race.

The weekend's double-header round will be the first time that the AMA
Superbike Championship has ventured to the 3.70km (2.3 mile) 21-turn
Californian circuit.

2002 AMA Chevy Trucks U.S. Superbike Championship
(points after 1 of 16 rounds)
1. Nicky Hayden 38, 2. Jamie Hacking 32, 3. Anthony Gobert 29,
4. Aaron Yates 27, 5. Eric Bostrom 26, 6. Kurtis Roberts 25,
7. Andrew Deatherage 24, 8. Brian Livengood 23, 9. Rich Conicelli 22,
10. Ricky Orlando 21.

2002 AMA Chevy Trucks U.S. Superbike Championship - Calendar
Rd 1 March 10 Daytona 200, Daytona Beach, Florida
Rd 2 April 6 California Speedway, Fontana, California
Rd 3 April 7 California Speedway, Fontana, California
Rd 4 May 4 Sears Point Raceway, Sonoma, California
Rd 5 May 5 Sears Point Raceway, Sonoma, California
Rd 6 May 18 Road Atlanta, Braselton, Georgia
Rd 7 May 19 Road Atlanta, Braselton, Georgia
Rd 8 June 2 Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway, Fountain, Colorado
Rd 9 June 8 Road America, Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
Rd 10 June 9 Road America, Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
Rd 11 June 30 Brainerd Int'l Raceway, Brainerd, Minnesota
Rd 12 July 13 Laguna Seca Raceway, Monterey, California
Rd 13 July 27 Mid Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, Ohio
Rd 14 July 28 Mid Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, Ohio
Rd 15 Aug 10 Virginia Int'l Raceway, Alton, Virginia
Rd 16 Aug 11 Virginia Int'l Raceway, Alton, Virginia

<font color=red>Live it</font color=red> <font color=blue>></font color=blue> <font color=red>Ride it</font color=red> <font color=blue>></font color=blue> <font color=red>Race it</font color=red>

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Re: Mladin\'s elbow still an issue

Thanx for the info. But why is it that we cant have a championship with 2 prize bulls. Doohan crashes, Roberts reigns. Rossi reigns, Roberts cant do squat. Foggy crashes Edwards reigns. Bayliss comes in and last year Edwards breaks and cant do squat. Now that Nicky is ready to fight it seems like Matty boy has an xcuse not to. I want head to head all season long and I want the #1 plate taken, not just given up!

·
Registered
234 Posts

The #1 plate will not be taken in my opinion. Mladin may loose the plate because of these injuries, but he is a better rider. He complains, but it is to get the bike he wants. There is a reason most of the bikes in Daytona were 750 gixxers. I saw 3 RC51's and they were ALL factory bikes. Hummm... Did a track record time get set? I honestly do not know. The Hondas sure had power advantages, but riders at that level can do plenty without power. Roberts is a prime example of that. Rossi is the best rider AND has the best GP bike. It really is a shame that a GP bike can not be a production based platform. I am drifting off the subject. Nicky will not beat Mat once his arm heals. It is as easy as that and you can quote me on that. I will be at Road Atlanta to see Mladin represent the gixxer riders of the world... I am glad that after all this time, Nicky finally wants to win. Oh, I do think he is probably the second best in the AMA superbike class right now.

·
Registered
144 Posts

well, sigsterrr, i normally dont come into this part of the site but just wanted to see if there is as much bitching as in the honda forum. We have a post going about the shattering of the speed trap records at the irta testing. Funny tho that absolutely no one will give the honda camp any credit for anything they have done. I just wanted to say that it is nice to hear that someone other than a loyal honda guy can give them some credit. And like i said over there, the only bike i think will compete against rossi and co. will be the suzukis. They are not supposed to be released till next year which proves a lot and then they were the best of the rest at the last tests. anyway, just thougt it was weird to hear someone else say something good about honda in a diff forum

and by the way, Nicky WILL walk away with your #1 plate :D

and yes track records were broken and daytona.

·
Registered
644 Posts

I don't love the guy, but damn that's kind of a hard story to read. It hurts my elbow now. He's a fierce competitor, and even though he may be out of championship defending status, I wish he gets back soon to give the other guys a run for their money.

Snoochie Boochies!

·
Registered
61 Posts

i wish mat was there to give Nicky a run for his money. It's not going to be fair if Mat isn't 100 percent the whole season. I mean, yeah that's racing, but it's still not the same. Kinda like when Colin won the WSB title only because Haga got banned..it's just not the same as winning it fair and square.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

Sigsterr,Sigsterr,Sigsterr.The issue at hand is whether or not Mattyboy will be able to comprehensively defend his #1 plate. You say that in your opinion he may loose the plate because of his injuries and that is just what we dont want. Now let me get this straight. You say that once Mattyboy's arm heals, that Nicky will not beat him. OK. But lets say that the unthinkable(for you) happens and Matty has a DNF and the point lead becomes insurmountable due to Nicky,s consistant fiishes whether they be wins or not. Does that mean that Matty lost the #1 plate because of the season opening elbow injury or that Nicky is the better rider? Coulda, woulda, maybe, and sh!t happens but if (when) Mattyboy loses the plate I dont want to hear about "well he just never recovered from that elbow injury" scenario. Yes Matty is good,but everyone else hasnt been good at the same time, and like Corser he doesnt like to ride around the bikes problems. Oh, and I too am a Gixxer rider (hardcore if I do say so myself) but a better rider -I think there are one or two within the state of NJ-(joke, it was a joke)can still have me come in second.

·
Registered
234 Posts

If Nicky outrides Mladin, then he is a better rider. If Anthony Gobert outrides Nicky, then he is a better rider... And so on. Last year Mladin was the BEST rider in his class. Period. That is why he won. Inconsistancies and wrecks are part of racing, but they do not win championships. Because someone wins one race (but five in a row sure is impressive) does not make them the best. Just the best that day. I am real curious to see if the Honda camp blows away all with the new '51. Don't misunderstand me- I am not loyal to any manufacturer in terms of what bike I like. I am loyal to a good rider though. Mat is great- you have to give him that. You do not win 3 championships being ok. He did not win some back woods tournament. Nicky is good, but he just does not have the consistancy. He is #2 in AMA in my opinion. Oh, did Nicky finish all the races last year? Nope. Nicky was a good rider at Daytona- but so was Gobert. Heck, I think Gobert was the better rider at Daytona because he was always losing distance in the straights and gaining it in the corners. That is where a good rider looses to a great rider. That is were Mat made his leads last year. Wouldn't it be interesting to see where people would finish if they all had the exact same bike? Not as good for manufacturers though ah. Oh wait- they had that class last year it was called the 750 supersport and I never watched it more than once. hehe... Well, ask me again in a year if Mat is a great rider and I will still say yes even if he does not race again. He earned that from what he has done. I hope I have not offended anyone, because that was not my intentions. Have a nice race- I mean day.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

Offended anyone? Oh hell. If any one is offended by that theyre gonna be real upset when the season starts to heat up. Dont worry about it. Oh yeah ,NIckys gonna win!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts

As long as the Yuppie RC51 holds on to dear "reliability", as we all very well know by watching Le Mans, WSBK, and Daytona :D

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

Good point GixY2K, what is up with that sh-t? Honda is suppose to be like this unbelievable reliable company, but yet they can keep there bikes going.

Let other people be right sometimes...it soothes them for being nothing else!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts