Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a Micron Oval slip-on, but can't decide which mount type I want for my F4i.

Any of you Micron owners (or M4, Mig, Hindle, Erion etc.. owners) have any suggestions on the type of mount you chose and why you preferred that mount over the other.

Some pics (especially an F4i with a Micron in any mount configuration) would be appreciated as well....thanx

·
Registered
640 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Oval high mount, carbon

<hr></blockquote>

Comin right up! Now, keep in mind Micron has changed the setup for their high mount. They now make it to where you do not loose your passenger footpegs. I'm not sure exactly how this affects the mid pipe, but with stock rearsets (that I am about to get rid of), my heels bump against it. No melting problem, as heel guard they gave me is awesome. Just a heads up. The pic sucks - that pipe is beautiful!

If I put what I wanted in this signature, I would piss too many people off.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i have the oval standard mount. I got it because i can still use the passenger pegs with it. Or if i ever want to take a trip i can put a bag the back. I have a f4i
see attachment for pic

redCBR

Fly N LOW

·
Registered
85 Posts
check this sight out.... sportbike.net... go under the honda sight (message boards)and on the 3rd page there is alot of pics of f4i.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I vote standard mount. I have never seen an aftermarket high mount pipe that didn't look out of place, and give the impression that the manufacturer had some extra tubing laying around the shop and had to get rid of it somehow. Beyond looks wouldn't all those extra bends impede exhaust flow anyway?

Take care,
Gregory

I could have been a squid, but I was too busy posing.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
yeah was wondering the same thing..now the hi mount is longer than standard mount..would the extra mid pipe hinder the performance /power in any way? even if it doesnt another vote for standard mount..well thats just me..i like my turn signals and with the new Micron hi mount for F4i;s u cant use turn signals..well according to the pictures atleast.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to let everyone know, Micron High Mounts do retain the passenger pegs and turn signals and provide at no extra charge the extra piping, canister attachments to foot pegs, and turn signal relocating kit.

Some pros for the high mount are:
- Awesome look, especially with a mototeck undertail.

Some cons for high mount are:
- I've never seen an AMA Supersport, or AMA (750cc) Superbike with a high mount.
- Afraid my tank bag will melt onto the canister, not to mention any passengers legs.
- Reduced power due to S piping. (unconfirmed)

Any more suggestions for either mount and why you preferred it over the other are welcome.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I'm getting to like Micron.. Nice

<font color=red>SilverF4/images/icons/cool.gif
<font color=blue>"Respect the Wrist!!!" <font color=red>Bok! Bok!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Okay, as far as the standard mount - if it had the same position as, say, the 929 - I'd probably get one. The low mount is just too low. The reason you don't see any racers using them is because they get custom made pipes, and get the can put whever the hell they want it. As far as power reduction, no - it doesn't. Are they tuned for perfect flow? Hardly, but no slip on is. AS far as turn signals, they aren't a problem. I got some off the shelf LP's and they are fine. If you get the carbon, I wouldn't worry about passengers legs either. I can ride all day and still be able to touch the can with my bare hand. (Yes, it is still hot, but it isn't going to burn anyone through their jeans or boots.) I couldn't say as far as luggage getting burned, I have no idea. personally, I love the high mount. For one thing, no matter how much lean angle I get - I'm not going to drag the pipe. Unless I get WAY too much lean angle, then I've got some other problems as well. hehehe

·
Registered
900 Posts
I talked to Micron the other day and from what I was told is that they have reworked or did some more R&D on the full race system. I think they have gone back more along the lines of where my himount sets which is between the himount pics you seen above but higher then the standard mount. They found and I've seen this elsewhere too, that if you go with the exhaust that high and don't bring the tail end of it at the right level then your hurting the aero dynamics of the bike with the rider on it. I guess what happens and it makes perfect sense is the exhaust flow is breaking up the flow that is coming off the windscreen, riders back, and the tail section so it actually slows you down. Now on the street this really doesn't matter but for the track it's incredibly important. So that's what I was told.

·
Registered
640 Posts
That could be good news - I wonder if they would sell me a mid-pipe to adjust the position of the can? Hmmmmm...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
yes u can just buy the mid pipe...i was going to also when micron sent me the same exact pic of the hi mount above..one problem..130 gunner mentioned its no problem regarding the turn signals..just used LPs...well if u look at the new micron hi mount for f4i u can cleary see they put the turn signals on the bottom portion of the tail fender. well like most people i have chopped my fender off and put short stalks on so if i want to put the hi mount i must remove the turn signals and get turn signal integrator which i do not want..i wish they made the hi mount little bit lower. oh well.

·
Registered
640 Posts
That just blows. If they don't come up with something, I'm selling it and muying an M4. They make 3 mounts, a standard, a high (which is actually mid mount - perfect), and a high sport, which is basically just like the Micron high. Every single 600 in AMA and World SS has a pipe that is high enough to give plenty of ground clearance, but still stays outta the way of your feet. I can't believe its that much trouble to make one for the street. I'm not asking for the same performance (though it would be nice!), just can position.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts