Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and still no Superbike title sponsor... soup.

Ok, uncertainty with Brainerd I can understand, what with the track being up for sale, but what's the deal with VIR? It's a great track; somebody(ies) at the AMA needs to gird their loins and get their house in order.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Oh man, an 11 round season? And people really want to try saying they think AMA Superbike is in better shape than World Supers? Yeah right, lets take away two of the better tracks we race on all year and replace them with nothing.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
My contact at VIR said the AMA was just too much of a pain the ass for VIR to deal with any longer. It's such a shame that this kind of thing continues to happen, the AMA really, REALLY needs to get their act together and treat the track owners with a little more kindness and respect. I swear, if I ever hit the lottery, I'd take the whole pile and start a motorcycle racing sanctioning body and put on a real racing series with purse money that's more in line with the entertainment that roadracing brings. Can't believe that AMA Superbike pays, what?, $8000 total for winning BOTH races of a doubleheader weekend? That's positively laughable.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
My contact at VIR said the AMA was just too much of a pain the ass for VIR to deal with any longer.

[/ QUOTE ]
could you elaborate...? what were they doing...?

·
Registered
944 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
simme001 said:
My contact at VIR said the AMA was just too much of a pain the ass for VIR to deal with any longer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like shades of Willow Springs.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like shades of Willow Springs.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMA burned themselves at Willow Springs as well, asking for a 150,000 sanctioning fee just for starters. WSIR told the AMA :bird: :rolling:

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
maybe FIM needs to threaten to grab the RR series like they did the SX...or actually just take it away from the AMA...sob the Japanese RR series are so well run in comparison I will be home next year and stuck with the AMA again

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
shamar1 said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
could you elaborate...? what were they doing...?

[/ QUOTE ]

The AMA postponed races in 03 when there was mud and debri on the track and were told that it was alright to race on, and then in 04 they postponed the race when a huge hurricane that slammed the south was predicted to hit the track.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
From what I am told, and remember this is just what I'm told, the AMA postponed the race at VIR last year when there was the threat of the hurricane coming through that area. Turned out the weekend in question was very nice and sunny, although in their defense, the AMA can't control the weather. But I was told that it was the WAY that the AMA did it, they just called and said, "We're doing _____, and there's no say in it for you". Didn't exactly go over well with the folks at VIR, who didn't want to postpone the race(the VIR staff are really great people, I've met all the players at VIR, and down to a person, they're all really super folks to deal with.) So I imagine that the folks at the track said, "Screw you, we're already booked up every weekend anyway, and your sanctioning fees keep going up, while you keep bullying us and acting like it's England here and you're the King, so screw you! You need US more than we need YOU." To VIR I say bravo! I hate to see the races not come so close to me, but knowing how nice they are up there, I don't want to see them getting screwed over.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
and in the end... EVERYBODY'S screwed. AMA, VIR, Speedchannel, advertisers, Danville's economy, manufacturers, the fans. :frown: get it...? "in the end"...? :808993-banghead:

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[...I swear, if I ever hit the lottery, I'd take the whole pile and start a motorcycle racing sanctioning body and ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the little people when that happens. :grin:

Man this really blows. /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts