Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Unusual for him to crash. Yates crashed, but that's not usual. Plus he does it enough to know how to not get hurt when he eats it.

I've read that the new infield pavement is slick.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Pridmore doesn't say which wall Matt hit, but he does use the term "barrier", so maybe it wasn't directly into the outside wall of the oval; regardless, that still doesn't speak well of the new track configuration that they obviously didn't build/allow for proper run-off room. A shame that Mladin had to "prove" the merit of his own words when he expressed concerns about the lack of run-off safety in the new turns. Another (deserved) black eye for the already battered AMA.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
From SuperBikePlane.com

"Injured Mladin still the fastest"

Afternoon Superbike lap times

1. Mat Mladin, Suzuki, 1:40.309
2. Ben Spies, Suzuki, 1:40.411
3. Neil Hodgson, Ducati 1:41.151
4. Jake Zemke, Honda, 1:41.386
5. Eric Bostrom, Ducati, 1:42.026
6. Miguel DuHamel, Honda, 1:42.134

I see Hodgson is getting used to the Daytona track quickly :grin: running infront of the Honda squad.

I don't know if I like the idea of Suzuki claiming to be the fastest at Daytona. Last yeat Honda was running good lap times but when it came time for the race... Well, I guess that being the fastest means almost nothing :smirk:

I hope Mat gets well and gets back on his horse ASAP -- I really want to see what the new Gix can do under the command of Mat.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
From CycleNews:

"...A CAT scan proved negative, and he was released under his own power. He also suffered a chipped bone in his left ankle. He wasn’t expected to ride on the final day of the test..."

Josh said:
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the Honda's are only running three cylinders like they were last year

[/ QUOTE ]

How's that? (I probably missed that incident last year) /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
If you recall last year's DIS tests, the HOnda's were up to almost 200 or so on the banking, and at one point Al Ludington made a remark in the paddock about "maybe tomorrow we'll connect the fourth cylinder" or something, and that made Mladin pissed.

After he won the fifth championship he said that remark was something he used all season long to motivate him to beat the Hondas.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
JoshN said:
"...and at one point Al Ludington made a remark in the paddock about "maybe tomorrow we'll connect the fourth cylinder..."

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch... :shocked:

No, I didn't hear that. But I'm not surprised Mat took that remark as an incentive to win :grin:

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
looks like Matt should be ok, im sure this does nothing for his opinion of Daytona though (which is already pretty low). im just glad he should be fine for the season, as whoever wins the title next should have to do it by beating Matt. He is the champ and i wouldnt want to see someone take the title by virtue of him crashing pre-season/

·
Registered
968 Posts
Is there anyone who doesn't have a low opinion of DIS? The place sucks and unfortunately, it will probably take someone dieing for it to be dropped from motorcycle racing. :flame:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
BobPurdom said:
Is there anyone who doesn't have a low opinion of DIS? The place sucks and unfortunately, it will probably take someone dieing for it to be dropped from motorcycle racing. :flame:

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but with the way the AMA schedule is turning out, they can't afford to lose another round.

·
ehasbeen
5,207 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
KurtsSV said:
[ QUOTE ]
BobPurdom said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but with the way the AMA schedule is turning out, they can't afford to lose another round.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm optimistic (really hoping) that IMS (Indianapolis Motor Speedway) can entertain a MC race in the near future. Mladin was at IMS last year during the repaving and made suggestions that I believe Tony went ahead and implemented :waytogo:

Great place for the new 200 IMHO

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm glad to hear Matt's ok. As much as I dislike the persona we see, I'd rather, if someone was to beat him, they did it straight up with matt as a healthy rider.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
indianaroadracer said:I'm optimistic (really hoping) that IMS (Indianapolis Motor Speedway) can entertain a MC race in the near future. Mladin was at IMS last year during the repaving and made suggestions that I believe Tony went ahead and implemented :waytogo:

Great place for the new 200 IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, what a surprise to hear you say that, <font color="green">indianaroadracer</font>. :smirk:

Personally, I like to see the bikes run (at least some of) the banking at Daytona, but I'd love to see them race the Indy F1 road course as well--definitely the WSBK boys, if not the AMA. Based on the recent reports of AMA Pro Racing's p*ss-poor attitude when dealing with track owners, something tells me they'd need to sign up for a serious "Who's your Daddy?" attitude adjustment from Tony George before the AMA bikes would be making laps.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
The thing that caught my attention about the crash was Pridmore's mention of Mladin's bike. "The bike went up and over the (spectator) fence. It was resting in the fence." :shocked:

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
from the horses mouth...

[ QUOTE ]
Mladin's Suzuki GSX-R1000 was destroyed when it hit and catapulted over the wall. This morning, Mladin's crew slowly took the (hopefully) usable parts off the chassis and were placing them in an aluminum cart. Except the engine, the good parts wouldn't fill two grocery bags.

Mladin hobbled over and described the crash, "The AMA is saying that having the wall there is a good thing, I guess, and that's a load of sh!t," said Mladin. "The bottom line is that I got it sideways and then got it all back under control. I had it under control and I had to then jump off a perfectly good motorcycle because there was a wall there. The last two times I crashed a motorcycle I had to jump off because there was walls there--Laguna last year too."

Mladin said the new pavement was not a factor in his crash, "It's a little bit slippery and I had a couple of little (moments) there but it was never a big concern or a highside or I'd have notched it back."

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2005/Jan/050105a.htm

·
Registered
944 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
BobPurdom said:

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean like Jimmy Adamo? Or that fellow that died in one of the last Pro Thunder races at Daytona?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
skohlscheen said:
[ QUOTE ]
BobPurdom said:

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean like Jimmy Adamo? Or that fellow that died in one of the last Pro Thunder races at Daytona?

[/ QUOTE ]

Add in Bryan Cassell also. :frown: :frown: :frown:

Sadly it might come down to having a big name racer die before AMA really does something about DIS. Hell look at nascar. Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin and Tony Roper died of the same injuries as Earnhart but yet Nascar never even looked into requiring HANS restraints. It took Earnharts death for nascar to get their act somewhat together. Look how fast FIM got track layouts changed after Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenberger died at Imola in 94.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts