Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just currios if any of you Daytona riders have mounted any luggage(ie Givi if they make a kit) and if not what are you using to travel?? As well how do you find it on long days.

Dwayne

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have never seen a Givi setup on a Daytona, I can't even imagine what that would look like. All the Givi stuff I have seen has been very well crafted but made the bike look like an AWACS plane. A couple of Givi owners I have talked to have also claimed that the size of the luggage has caused some aerodynamic problems. What I have used has been soft luggage. I like the Marsee tank bags. They are well constructed and attach about as well as possible on the plastic tank. I have also used RKA luggage. The tank bag was finely crafted but the attachment system left much to be desired. I also found that the fleece tabs and lining they use to be a flawed concept. The RKA tailbag I have is very nice and works well for a couple of day outing. I recently purchased a RocketLocker tailbag. The attachment system is the best I have seen. Securely mounts to the passenger seat. Very slick and simple system. Construction appears to be high quality. Size looks like it would be fine for an overnighter. Additonally the service was fantastic and the owner is very interested in developing better luggage and looking for rider input. For longer trips I have used Eclipse P-38 bags. Plenty of space but a hassle of staps to secure it. Also have to deal with protecting the body work as well.

http://www.rocketlocker.com

http://www.marseeproducts.com/

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I use the RKA on my ST. The price was nice, free, since my friend sold his VFR and they don't fit his Bandit very well. Triumph makes a nice sport softbag set, that might fit your bike. They are small, but might be the trick. The cost is around $250 and little pricey, but they are angled to fit a sportbike like yours. Eclipse, as said before make a really inexpensive set. Around $225 with a tailpack.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. My riding partner is thinking about a new bike (upgrading his K-75) and was looking atthe Daytona but was concerned about luggage for our week long tripps we try to take a couple of times a year.I cant see myself parting with my ST anytime soon it works too well for every thing I like to do..(ie hard bags and running in the mountains)I appreciate the input and would love to hear more if anyone else would like to share their Daytona touring secrets..

PS. how secure is that Joerocket locker I mean theft wise??

Dwayne

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The RocketLocker bags are not made or associated with 'Joe Rocket' Here are some pics of the tailbag mounted to the seat of a Daytona.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
And a pic of the attachment system which is by far the most secure setup I have seen on any bag. Once the seat is locked in place the bag isn't going anywhere until you unlock the seat with the key.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Until someone cuts the material off. Someone once stole the bra off a Nissan pickup that I had. They stole it by cutting the mounting straps off that went under the hood, thus rendering their newly "acquired" bra useless. No one ever said thieves were smart.

But seriously, that underseat mounting system is pretty cool. How much does that bag cost?

-KeithU

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The bag is not cheap, $150. I didn't mean to imply that the advantage of this system is security. As Keith points out any luggage could be removed with the correct tool, a knife in this case. The advantages of this attachment system IMHO are safety and convience. Having seen first hand what can happen when a tailbag comes off and gets wedged between the tire and swingarm I really feel better about using this tailbag. Because the attachment is to the seat the appearance is clean without the mass of straps or bungees that tend to come loose in travel or mar up the bodywork.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Very impressive bag, might be worth the $$$. The Eclipse tailpack that I use comes loose and it has scratched my tail section with the bungees. I might look into one of those, thanks for the info!

Triumph Sprint ST

1 - 13 of 13 Posts