Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just lowered my zx-6r in the rear 2 1/2 inches and I was wondering for the front if i could just lower the tripple tree on the front forks to make it lower in the front. I do not want lowering straps because then i have no suspension in the front! Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I DID LOWER THE FRONT ON MY 6R.... U CANT ONLY DROP THE FRONT BY THE TRIPPLE TREE. THERE HAVE TWO MORE BOLTS U NEED TO LOOSE TO GET THE SHOCK MOVE..BUT BE CAREFUL AFTER U LOOSE ALL THE BOLTS.. THE SHOCK WILL JUMP UP.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
i'm just curious because i don't know much about lowering. 2 1/2 inches seems like a lot unless you're drag racing and if you are dragging, would you still need front suspension. again, i don't know, just curious.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont drag race, i lowered my bike with muzzy lowering links for the look...It looks so phat. I got about 2 inches of clearence between my back tire and mu undertail kit......next....extended swingarm

·
Registered
170 Posts
you must not care how your bike handles. these changes may make the bike look "phat" but the handling is going suck. If all you care about is looks than go for it, but if you actually ride, put it back to stock. If you drop the front end that much the bike will have no stability at all. to drop the front even 10 millimeters makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
(here's me, climbing on my soapbox.....)
man, you guys are giving the guy crap and I'd bet that only 1 of you've ever ridden a lowered bike, if any of ya have at all.
I could be wrong of course, but don't make judgements about that which ye don't know!

my lowered (for my shortness) 9R kept up with guys on R1's, 6R's, 900's, 929's, etc. on fun curvy roads and with a damn good rider on a 12R at Deals gap and the Skyline/Skyway roads there around Deals'. YES, lowering affects handling, but it doesn't turn it into a freakin' BUS.

I think what ahdee is trying to say is that you may have to loosen the allen-head bolt on the clip-on. (in addition to the bolts on the upper triple tree, and the bolts on the 'mid' triple tree, down behind the headlight area.

That IS what you want to do, by the way, since no one else helped you. Lower the front, by loosening the triple trees, as much as you did in the back. Like he said, fork tubes are going to want to 'spring out' on you to some degree. Use a rubber mallet to encourage them back into their homes. YOU MUST measure each side (fork tube) and ensure that each one sticks above the Trip. by the same amount.

BA
"<font color=blue>How about never, is never good for you??</font color=blue>"

·
Registered
59 Posts
ok im sorry for jumping to hastly but im all about performance and lowering a bike for no aparent reason other than for looks is poor judgement to me. and that is quit a drop and im pretty sure there will be a major performance change somewhere.hopefully good :)

SOMETIMES U JIST GOTTA SAY F$CKIT

·
Registered
388 Posts
lowering it's fine if you need to (ie: for shorter riders, dragging), but to lessen the performance of a bike for "phat" looks makes no sense to me. But then again I guess it doesn't have to. It's his bike, right? Anyway, I'm sure people have done much stranger things to bikes.

Sorry for being so judgemental...........just don't park next to me. Just bustin' /images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
lol
Now THERE YA GO! Saying that a brotha' has poor judgment is PERFECTLY ALRIGHT!!! /images/icons/laugh.gif A brother can be as lame as he wants to be and that's all right!.

Can't be much different than folks who lower a pick-up or DUALLIE (sp?) to the ground! It's just......different!

you guys are right though. 2.5" in the rear is A LOT. (hey, ....that sounds sooo wrong...)

He'll never ride two up without botteming out. (I promise.)
And, landing any wheelies is now guaranteed to touch ram air to fender, and probably scrape the bottem of front fairing. (but you'll get better at gentle touch-downs as time goes on)

don't ask how I know..... /images/icons/cool.gif /images/icons/wink.gif

BA
"<font color=blue>How about never, is never good for you??</font color=blue>"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts