Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ladies...
My fiance' is looking to get into sport riding with me, so I need to find a good entry level bike with low seat height. I would like to get her a 600 so she doesn't "outgrow" it too soon. Recommendations?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
How tall is she? Or, more importantly, what is her inside leg measurement?

·
eShoelessTVwatcher
10,430 Posts
Something like a SV would be great. I can sit on it just fine. I would Shave the seat proir to lowering it. Also don't forget to set up the suspention for her. Take her to sit on bike as well, that alwaya helps. The hondas sit higher then most of the other bikes. Suzukis has great seats that you can shave easily with out losing custion in them

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot. I'll check out the SV. :waytogo:
BTW, She is about 5'6".

·
eShoelessTVwatcher
10,430 Posts
She should be more then fine on a SV. I am about 5'5" and I don't have any problems with mine at all. Shaved the seat a bit, and it is great.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
If she's 5'6" she shouldn't have any problems with seat hight unless she has a really long torso with tiny little legs. I'm only 5'5" & I have no problems on my 916 (no hight related mods). The only thing I would suggest is that you start her on a used &/or naked bike as the bike may very well get droped a bit in the beginning if she's not used to sport bikes. The most important thing is that she feel comfortable on the bike & has much fun riding. /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Legs get longer with experience. :waytogo: I'm 5'6" and I started off on a CB400, then moved far too soon onto my F4 which I had lowered to give me a bit of extra confidence. Now, 4 years later, I could probably get away with having the bike put back to its' original height.

I think it's always better to start off with something that fits..i.e where she can get both feet flat or reasonably flat on the floor, at least until she's grasped the basics and feels comfortable on a bike.

The SV would be a very good choice. A friend of mine has one and she is 5'2". She's had it both lowered and had the seat trimmed to accommodate her....it's also a very unintimidating bike for the newbie, but great fun for the more experienced...so it's probably just what you're looking for! :smile:

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I just rode a monster 750, and it has a really low seatthe own is like 6'4" so i dont think it was lowered. also very easy to ride, and sounds great.

·
Premium Member
11,610 Posts
I'm afraid i'm no help on the actual seat height issue. With a 32 inseam i feel pretty ok on anything. Again like Yeller said, that also 'grows' with experience. One thing also to consider is the width on the tank. So while 2 bikes might have the same seat height off of the ground, if one tank is significantly wider, it might cause her to lose a little more flat footedness.

My measly :2cents:

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
how tall are you fuzzy? I have a 32 inch inseam. Id put you at 5'7- 5'9.....

the monster seat was relativly narrow too(i thought, comepared to a the buell m2)

my measly 2 cents :postwhore2:

·
Premium Member
11,610 Posts
I'm 5'7" barefoot. Most of my boots that i would ride in give me a little more height, as well. I am able to flatfoot on the BMW R1150GS in my NewRock boots and that tank is like, well.. a tank. :smile:

The monster tank profile is narrow. You don't need to straddle it like you do on a Japanese sportbike. The seat height on its own is pretty low.

I think much of the problem aside from seat height for women, is the tank width then coupled with a relatively long reach to the bars. I think women *in general* tend to be more leggy than a man of the same height, so our upper bodies and arms are comparitively shorter. This long reach for a new rider might not provide a 'sure' feeling when manuevering the bike especially at low speed. Add cumbersome weight or a high center of gravity with a short turning radius and it can be the express train to 'Dropville.'

Essentially, anyone can ride a bike at 40mph, but make them do 2 in a parking lot.. its a whole 'nother ball of wax. Ironic, isn't it? But i find that to be the case when I watch people pulling in to parking lots where bikes have gathered.

Of course as time passes we all learn to compensate for any of those issues as we learn to trust ourselves, the equipment and just gain general experience. I think most people would say, hands down, the SV650 gives a new rider a complete package. Stylish looks, forgiving ergos, a good kick but not "too much" and a reasonable pricetag.

Okay, thats like a whole nickle worth! :smirk:

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
5'7eh, funny I was telling a friend of mine the other day that that was my ideal height for women :wink:

I think your right, I wear 32 32 pants and Im 5'9 and a bit.

Ill have to take a ride on a sv 650(maybe ill run into someone that doesn't care I dont have a license anymore and will just say hop on and have fun) I must say I was really impressed with the little monster. Seat height isn't really that big of an issue for me, espeically since I almost never put a foot down at stop signs, at a light I could see where it could be annoying if you couldn't get both feet on the ground, but im not sure if I do that much either.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Next time you are in CO, you can take a spin on my SV. I agree with Fuzz, GREAT begginner bike, hell, it's fun for experts too! Light weight, enough power to keep it fun, good handling, forgiving, good looks, and CHEAP! :grin:

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I may be working/interning out in Littleton this summer actually thru Jacobs. id have to take you up on it. Ive only "lost the privlegde to drive in california" at least thats what my laywer said

I may actually buy one come october, when I can drive in this stupid state again. :waytogo:

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Hell yeah bro, let me know if you do come out here! Obviously, that's where I'm at too. :smirk: I can definitely borrow someone else's bike if/when that time comes too, so I can show you around all the good local roads. :bow: PLENTY of good roads within 5-10 minutes of my house. :grin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed you shaved your bike seat. I'm thinking of doing the same on a Suzuki Katana 750. Did you just shave the seat or replace it with another foam? If you just shaved it, did you lose comfort? Have you heard of gel pads? What do you think of them? Did you do it yourself or have someone else do it? I see my choices to alter my seat as custom seat shops (most expensive) or furniture repair shops. Do you know of any other shops/people that would do it? Thanks!

·
eShoelessTVwatcher
10,430 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Tervlover said:
I noticed you shaved your bike seat. I'm thinking of doing the same on a Suzuki Katana 750. Did you just shave the seat or replace it with another foam? If you just shaved it, did you lose comfort? Have you heard of gel pads? What do you think of them? Did you do it yourself or have someone else do it? I see my choices to alter my seat as custom seat shops (most expensive) or furniture repair shops. Do you know of any other shops/people that would do it? Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Shaved the foam, and it is actually more comfortable. It actually has a bit of contrast to it now. I took it to a shop, they charged $20 for it. I can't remember what the shop was right now, but I will have to ask my hubby when I call him tonight. I won't take it to a mroe expensive place, just take it to a repair shop or something like that.

You could always get a gel pad, and they have a high respecablity. But I just shaved the seat for a fast way to get a bit more foot on the ground.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Hi All,

I've got a friend and she is looking at getting an SV 650. How much did you shave out of the seat? She's looking at getting a new or used SV. Her inseam is 28.5 So the lower hte better. She sat on a stock SV and could only put a foot down, couldnt even tip toe with both. She tried a GS500 and that was better, but she likes the SV much better.

Any other bikes we should look at that have a low seat height? She's thinking standard like a honda shadow or something along those lines.. but I think she would have more fun on a sportbike.

Thanks for the help!

·
eShoelessTVwatcher
10,430 Posts
I shaved an inch out of my seat. I would do that first before you actually lower the bike. it is a bit easier and a bit cheaper, plus it doesn't change how the bike is going to handle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.