Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to completely tear down the engine on the SV and bring her back to spec.

I'm looking for GOOD vernier calpiers and a good micrometer. I don't want the junk that Sears or HomeDepot sells. I want the kind that reputable mechanics use. The kind of quality tools that you could find in your grandfathers tool box of yester year.

I understand that Draper makes some expert grade tools but I can't find them here stateside. Anyone other exceptional brands I should know about?
Can you help? :help:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
We use mostly Mitutoyo. And trust me, at least get the dial kind. Vernier are cheaper but it's awefully easy to mis-read them. We have the digital ones here at work. They're pricey but pretty sweet. The best place I know to get them is from www.Grainger.com

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
ZOEY said:
I went to Granger today and they do have the calipers in stock. About $130.00 :blush: !Zoinks! :blush:

The micrometer was about $88.00.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said you wanted GOOD calipers... :grin:

Honestly, for the "shade-tree" mechanic, Starret calipers that are in the $50 range are plenty good. It's the plastic ones that aren't worth a darn.

The Starrets aren't for all-day-every-day industrial use but just fine for keeping in your tool box at home.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
FWIW:

I got a new, stainless steel, digital caliper that reads in both standard and metric, complete with storage case, for under $30 on ebay. I've used it quite a bit on various projects, often while doing precision fab work with my metal lathe, and the thing is dead accurate--I couldn't be happier, especially for the money.

And the same goes for my metric micrometer which I bought from a place called Wholesale Tools in Tampa, FL about 10 years ago. I've used it to double-check the (marked) shims when adjusting valves on bikes, and it's always been spot-on. Cost: $10. :Wow1: At the time I called all over looking for one--the standards were easy to find, but only a couple places had metric micrometers. I remember NAPA had one for just over $100, and then I called Wholesale Tools.

The guy told me that they carried 2 models, one made in the US and one made overseas. I asked him what the difference was, and he said the US made one was $90, and the import was $10. Even asked him to repeat the price a few times, but that was it, 10 bucks. All steel and came with a padded wooden storage case.

Now, I'm a tool guy--mainly Porter Cable/Delta with my power/shop tools--and spend the extra money for good quality, but I must admit to having very good service with some inexpensive imports--they're worth a look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts