Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paul: I was reading your profile and I can relate. I built my own cafe racer from a 1974 RD 350. Clubman Bars, Milled the heads, S&W shocks, homemade rearsets, K&N filter, changed the mains up 11 sizes and JR Expansion chambers. Power band hit at 6K, and had a Jeckle/ Hyde personality - it was notoriously wheelie prone! Raced it at Nelson Ledges, OH around 1975 placed 6th in the qualifier after running off the track once and disqualified for having "stingers"! I drove up from B'ham, AL with the assumption that there would be a modified stock class simular to ERA's and didn't bring the stock exhaust with me. Little did I know that there were only 2 classes: stock or GP and I was intimidated as hell to ride in the GP class! Just thought I'd share that with ya - I sometimes wonder why I didn't die on that bike!!!! (but it sure was a hell of a lot of fun - BONZIIIIII!!)

The Electric Banana Man
01 RSV Mille R #107 and still arrest-me Yellow

·
eModerator
7,723 Posts
You got a couple years on me, 74 is when I was learning how to ride. My first serious racer was a 78 GS750 which needed all the modifications Then got a 79 RD400 since the 750 class was so small in Colorado but moved to Texas and found a big 750 class so the 400 got tricked out just like you described /images/icons/smile.gif It was fun but doesn't even come close to today's bikes /images/icons/shocked.gif Makes you wonder what bikes will be like in 20 years...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts