Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade the lights on my 2000 ZX6R. Currently they have the stock 12 volt 60/55 Watt, H4's on them. I want them to be brighter and maybe with a little more color (blue, yellow maybe). I have heard that PIAA makes nice bulbs...do I have to be careful to get a headlight that has the same voltage and watt rating, or can you use brighter and higher watt bulbs. What have you all had success with?
I want to make sure I'm seen.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I use PIAA bulbs. They don't consume too much more power, so you don't need to upgrade the wiring or anything, and don't have to worry about melting the plastic. THey put out a MUCH whiter light, so it looks like a lot more light output. Makes riding at night much easier, and makes the bike a lot more visible.

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey man try showparts.com fread runs it. They have green lights I got a pair for my zx9r. Show a lot of green and very bright. you will love them.

kaw

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I have the PIAA 12v 60/55w Super White Platinum bulbs that put out the wattage/brightness of 110/100w bulbs. They are extreemly bright and clear. I love them and don't regret buying them at all.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so is that more wattage than the ones you had for stock? or are the ratings the same so you don't have to worry about damaging the wiring

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
The bulbs draw 12v 60/55w(same as stock) but the output is 110/100w. As long as the box says they are 12v 60/55w then you are good, the secondary number(ie: 110/100) is just the simulated output. They draw 60/55 but the light that is produced is that of a higher watt bulb.

In other words, buy the damn things and enjoy/images/icons/smile.gif/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
214 Posts
kawzx9r, do those colored lights have good night time visibility? I'm thinking about the purple ones. Looks pretty cool.

Sometimes you're the hydrant, sometimes you're the dog.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wondering...what do you all think is the highest output of wattage and temperature that my 2000 ZX6R could handle. PIAA makes a 60/55w = 135/125w bulb which makes its use at 4150 K. Do you all think that would be too hot for the bulb and would do some damage? They make one with slightly lower and slightly higher temp. ratings...check out the link and let me know

http://www.piaa.com/h4bulbs.html

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I didn't know exactly how the reflectors and plastic housings would hold up to the increased temperature and couldn't find anything about it on the net, so I didn't buy the ones you are talking about. I decided to go with the lower(110/100w) ones just to be safe and have not had any problems.

This is not to say that if you bought the higher output bulbs they would damage anything, but there is nothing out there that says that it won't either. I can only say that the bulbs I bought have not melted anything or caused any problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
The ACTUAL wattage is what's going to matter in terms of melting plastic or wiring. The color temperature won't make any difference. Most of the PIAAs run COOLER than similar wattage bulbs. They're converting more of the energy to LIGHT, and not heat.

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts