Sportbike Racing Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Back when the Dunlop 208's were the hot tires in racing, the hot trick (in Florida CCS competition, anyway) for racing in the wet was to reverse the (predominantly, used) front tire for improved performance--never heard of any problems.

While I have experienced catastrophic failure with car (radial) tires that have been reverse-fitted after initial use in 1 direction, it seems that the carcass construction of (sport) motorcycle radials is impervious to such use.

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Riding style definitely changes the forces on the tires. Obviousy I ride quite differently on the track than on the street.
[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, how often do you actually brake that hard that your rear wheel would lift off the ground?

[/ QUOTE ] On the track, it happens quite often but on the street, maybe twice since I've been riding and usually a result of me screwing around.

I could see how the forces on the front tire could be quite dramatic while braking (at the track). You're braking from something like 160mph down to like 80 within a very short distance. You've got a approx. 400lb machine plus the weight of the rider/gear plus the weight transition pushing on a very small area of front tire. Probably an area about the size of a credit card.
It still amazes me that we can even get the bike slowed down with such great force. It really says something for the design and construction of tires these days.

·
aprilia junkie
16,379 Posts

<font color="red"> PLUS</font>

<font color="red">EQUALS</font>

and

Please, don't tell me my tires are completely shagged. I know. :tongue: :rolling: :frown:

This is a tight little road, mostly 2nd and 3rd gear (on my bike) with the GPS telling me an average speed of 43-47 MPH in the turns, with maybe 61-63 on the straighter sections.

I think I learned something about proper body positioning, and fighting a cupped front tire.

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts
Wow, you can do a 180 during a stoppie? Way cool! :waytogo:

:tongue:

O, your tires are shagged... :grin:

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
novos said:
turning the bars side to side, front tire on the ground, rear tire on the stand

[/ QUOTE ]

...and his sweet 180* stoppie :lol: :laugh: He always tries to draw attention AWAY from his crazy antics by making it sound so humble. "turning bars side to side...." pftt :rolling:

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Interesting how you can get 360deg marks on the tire from "turning the bars". :wink:
He must have removed the steering stops.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts