Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mean to turn this into brain surgery, but.....After reading everything I can find on womens leather riding jackets, I am still unsure what size would best fit my wife. I'm hoping one of the ladies on this list can offer some help. My wife wears a 12 petite/36D and is 5'3". She said that she sometimes buys 14P tops to fit her chest properly. It seems to me from looking at sizing charts that she is somewhere between a medium and large in Fieldsheer. Possibly a 44 or 46 Alpinestars. I've also looked at Teknic who offers a size that would seem to make this easy, but they don't have the selection the other brands do. First Gear offers yet another sizing scheme where a 40 or 42 might fit her. I know that different manufacturer has slightly different ideas about how a size should fit as well. I'm just wanting to buy her a nice, sporty jacket with good protection. Alpinestars Dyno, Fieldsheer Air Speed and Super Sport, Teknic Venom, Icon Daytona, and First Gear S-Pilot are a few of the jackets I've looked at. Any help you can offer will be appreciated. Only about 8 shopping days left......

Thanks!
Kokomoto

·
Registered
11,190 Posts
When it comes to fashion, every manufacturer has a different pattern, so every garment fits differently, despite the seemingly same sizing.

I'm guessing you're trying to surprise your wife with a new jacket, but you may be better off writing her some lovely little promisory note to the effect that this card entitles the bearer to a free motorcycle jacket of their choosing. She's got to try the various jackets on for proper fit, which is KEY for both her comfort & her safety.

My wife recently tried on, & LOVED, the Mercury jacket from Joe Rocket. One more option. :smile:

·
Premium Member
9,377 Posts
If I can make a suggestion - take a look at the Vanson line. Where a bit more expensive, you can't beat the quality - Fuzz has one, and it is one of the few women's jackets I've seen that is cut perfectly for a woman's body. A great product.

·
Premium Member
11,610 Posts
Hi Koko-

Well, this is a fine can of worms, isn't it?
Buying ladies jackets blind has to be a daunting task.

Unfortunately, I am going to follow along Michael's line and say that its probably best to not surprise her with a jacket unless she's already tried them on. Perhaps you can give her something like a model motorcycle of her liking with an IOU for a date to go jacket shopping.

I guess it depends on how well you want her to be protected. If you are just looking for adequate protection, you can probably wing it. If you are looking to minimize risk of injury as much as possible, take your time. Do it together.

One of the key factors for me in ladies jacket sizing is that the mid section doesn't hang away from the body or bag around the middle when the bust fits. The waist should remain snug & unmoving. Having a jacket waistband that rides up in the unfortunate event of a crash would be awful.

Also, you want to make sure that the areas for the boney parts fit nicely. Shoulders & elbows. Having loose armor around there is no good.

Sadly - as you've found out, there is little standardization on sizing. Kind of like helmets, some people have Arai heads, some people have Shoei heads. It woudl be hard to guide you in to any one size for the noted manufacturers without personal experience and similar sizing. Some jacket torsos are much less tapered or are longer/shorter, and then of course styling. And where to get shoes and a purse to match. Kidding. Just seeign if you were paying attention. :smirk:

I am afraid I cannot speak on behalf of any of the jackets listed. I wear 2 different Vanson jackets, which I adore. I *think* Jenny has an Alpinestar jacket or suit. She might be able to offer some advice on fit. And she's pretty curvey in the right places too :Wow1: <font color="red"> JENNY </font> are you out there?

Any of you other ladies have any of the noted jackets?

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I have to agree yet add that Vanson also does excellent custom work. I know it cost a bit more yet the jacket will truly hold it's own in the test of time. They have made me several over the years & I still have most of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts