Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to why Kawi suggests valve inspection/adjustments at intervals half that of the other major Japanese manufacturers?

For my '00 ZX-6R the service manual states inspection/adjustment every 12,000km while the 600cc counterparts from Suzuki/Honda/Yamaha get 24,000km between having their inspection/adjustment.

All of the bikes use a shim under bucket system, and I would assume the top end of each to be relatively similar, so why the difference? Is Kawi overly cautious?

Opinions/answers?

'00 Red ZX-6R

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
wow, i didn't know the others were up to 24k. i knew yamaha was 'cause of how light they made the valvetrain for the R6 when it first came out. but kawi, as everyone knows, haven't exactly kept up with the other manufacturers at making their bikes as "cutting edge"... :( personally, it doesn't phase me one bit.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
My ZR is supposed to be done every 6000 miles (9678km) but I round it off and check them every 10000 miles (16129) so far at the last check (30000m/48387km) no adjustment have been needed.
I suspect the engineers put the engines through a battery of test and the earliest they could get a valve to fall out of adjustment is where they set the check interval.

<font color=blue>Accelerate 'till you see God, then</font color=blue><font color=red> brake</font color=red>.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I just had mine done and after a little over 10K miles, they were still good....and my bike is old (technology-wise).

Forgive & forget. Just never forget when I forgive.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Like ThirdNinja's, my 1995 ZX-9R just had her valves checked at the end of last season, with a tad over 10K (miles) on the clock. Everything was still well within specs.

<font color=green>Objects in Mirrors are <font color=red>LOSING!!</font color=red></font color=green>

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
yeah guys, that's a good point. often you find when you go to adjust 'em... they're still well within spec. and that's usually the "rule" as opposed to the "exception". :) i love desmos too, but jap bikes ain't no ducati that's for sure...!!! LOL the I4's (all brands, kawi included) are way more rugged.

·
Registered
283 Posts
had my first valve check at 6k - only very minor adjustment needed.....

Things To See, People To DO....

G

·
0 Posts
regarding shamer's post - since 1996 the 6r has been undefeated in EVERY final round of EVERY 600SS ama/prostar drag race. electroplated bores,12.8:1 compression,K-TRIC,formula 1 type coils,4-2-1 header,hexagonal extruded swingarm,uni trak and 46mm tubes,ama 600 champ, fim 600 champ,prostar 600 champ. sounds pretty cutting edge to me.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Holy Crap, it's Badge767, where the heck have you been man. How's things been?

<hr></blockquote>

LOL...so much for quietly sneaking back onto the boards, huh Chris??

I've been good...just busy...waiting for warm spring weather, along with the rest of the unfortunate Midwest people who don't have year-round riding weather! LOL

<font color=green>Objects in Mirrors are <font color=red>LOSING!!</font color=red></font color=green>

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

LOL...so much for quietly sneaking back onto the boards, huh Chris??

<hr></blockquote>

LOL, you shoulda known that one of us oldtimers would spot you sooner or later/images/icons/smile.gif

Good to hear man, you gonna be around more often, or is this just a fly by? Good to see you back where you belong.
Later
Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts