Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I got to see the storage facility of the local bike dealership. They had the usual, new bikes in boxes, used and crashed bikes, but hiding within was the owner's Japanese edition Kawasaki ZXR250 four stoke. I not sure what year but it basically looked like a small version of the old school ZX7s. The bike is sweet but as I looked more closely I saw that the redline on the tach was 20 GRAND!!!! Wow, that must scream!! I did not get to hear it running but just the thought of throwing that bike around twisties an 18 grand is plain badass.

·
Registered
325 Posts
There are gsxr, cbr, zxr, etc with 250cc 4 stroke engines in Japan. You see, bikes are only alowed to have mid 50 hp there, so they have sport bikes with small engines, like 250 and 400 cc.
And yes, they rev to 20 grand ! And yes, they scream like hell! But that doesn't mean they are going anywhere fast...
They probably are very light, though !

I think I still have an old brit magazine with a comparo with some of them. I can look for it, if you are interested.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Obviously you`ve never been chased on a trackday, by those crazies on their two-strokes!!!! We have guy out at
SIR that runs an 85-88 KX500 motocross bike ( now a supermotard) that has been "heavily" modified ( bigger disks, sportbike tires and the like ) He will chase even full litre bikes down and stick to them like glue!!! this is a case of a very light bike definitly going places fast!! Yea, no areodynamics but he`ll make passes in the corners that will amaze all that witness this guys riding style... oh yea, he`s 47 yrs. young!!!!!!! he`s also a recent immigrant that came over from the U.K. and we " the U.S.A. don`t even come close to the following that they have over there for motorcycles and motorcycle racing!!!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
When I said "that doesn't mean they are going anywhere fast...", I was meaning straights.
Of course, on a track, specially if it's a twistie one, it's a different matter...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Top speed on the ZX2R or ZXR250C is about 110mph. The ZXR400 gets about 135mph stock and is raced in several countries. Damn fine little motorcycle it is too. I'm looking to buy one (or a Honda RVF 400) to start racing soon.
The ZX2R is a fairly popular starting bike here in Australia where you have to do a year on a 250 before you can get an open licence for bigger bikes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts