Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my friend's is trying to get into the sport of motorcycles.

and found a used katana 600 for $4000, and wanted me to ask about the bike's performance as far as handeling, and hp.

he know's that the bike's isn't going to put out the hp of a 600supersport, but he just want's to know if the katana is a decent bike.

p.s.- He know's that the sv650 is a good begginer bike, but just doesn't like the look that much.

<font color=blue>2001 R6<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>The Blue one Is Faster<font color=blue>/images/icons/cool.gif

·
More bikes than brains
5,319 Posts
the Katana is a fookin pig... coming in at around 458 pounds, I think. Not too sure about the horsepower figures, but i bet its around 70-80. Also, about they SV650S... there are lower fairings that you can get, and i can think of at least 3 of them that are pretty sweet.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
My friend has a Katana 750 for his first bike, and his brother just got a Katana 600. Both are good bikes, and for the pace that we ride typically they don't have trouble keeping with the pack.

So far they both seem happy with the bikes.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
A Katana can be a long term friend, take you anywhere you want to go and bring you back.
As for the power there's plenty to play with and enough to land you in jail.
As to it's performance.....well it's not the arrow, it's the indian./images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
To me, the new Katanas are hideous. Also, for their weight their power is not really any better than an SV. If he wants the plastics he could always go SVS with lowers and someone already suggested. Besides that I have heard of people being happy with them. I just would not ride one based on looks alone, so my views are biased against it. Guess I am just a squid, lol.

Want to go fast? I'm one to go fast!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Well said Serpentine. I had a Katana 750 for my first bike and absolutely loved it. Sure, it isn't the perfect canyon carver, but let's look at what we are talking about here. For a first bike, I think a Kat 600 is a good choice. It doesn't excel in one particular area, but it is very competent overall. The only drawback to the Kat as a first bike is all the plastic. If your friend drops it, it'll get ugly... What year 600 is that for $4000. I just ran into a guy the other night who picked up a 2001 600 for $3000. What a steal. The bike was perfect. It is this guys first bike and he couldn't be happier. Good luck.

Regards,

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Well it's my third bike and price is what i liked about it. SV wasn't available then/images/icons/frown.gif

I like the looks of it but to each his own I guess, alot of people don't like how the busa looks either.

I keep up with most just fine in the canyons, of course I get blown away in the straights but by no means does that mean it's slow, you just have to ring it's neck to keep up. Yes it's overweight but thats also helpful cause when your in the canyons it seems to stick and hold a line real nice. Keep in mind that if i road another lighter faster bike i might sing a different tune but iggnorance is bliss/images/icons/wink.gif

Good first bike for anyone and very dependable. I'm not a huge fan of the old design although I use to ride one but in comparison to how any bike looks now it just seems so out dated.

BTW it's also very comfortable

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok I'm the one that is wanting the Katana. Its a 2000 and it has 9,000 miles on it and its Red. I'm not sure if its what i really want!!!! I know its not want i really want, but its all i really can afford. I would love to have a GSX-R600 but thats not in my price range since i'll be buying this for myself. Can't get much help from the parents. The reason for wanting it like I said, its all I can afford and plus summer is coming up and I'm not wanting to get left behind!!! I just want to ride. I was dead set on getting this bike but when i woke up this morning, I had a sudden change of mind. I really don't want that bike, I want what I want and I don't care how long it takes me to get it. But I change my mind alot, so who knows!

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
My first bike was a Katana 750 as well. Like others have stated, it was not exactly a cutting-edge sportbike, but I thought it was pretty competent. One thing you might want to consider is resale value. While your friend could probably buy a used CBRF3, ride it for a year, and sell it for about what he paid, he's likely to take a bath on the Katana unless he steals it to begin with. And I don't think $4000 is necessarily a steal. It's not that they're bad bikes, they're just not very popular for some reason. And, for the record, I dropped mine once, resulting in no more damage than a broken mirror and a scratch on the fairing.

·
Registered
693 Posts
My friend has a 94 kat 600 and he smokes on it.He put race tech springs and emulators in and a aftermarket shock on, the thing handles great.People are really suprised at how fast he is on the tuna.I rode it and was impressed with how it handles but you really and I mean really have to ring its neck to get any power from it.

<font color=red>Whatcha doin?</font color=red> Chewin Chocolate<font color=red>Where'd you get it?</font color=red>doggie dropped it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well since most of you are saying that you have to ring the [censored] out of it, I'm really not sure I want it. Because I'm 6'3 278lbs and the SOB already weighs alot and all I would do is weigh it down more! So I'm still on the look out and trying to convince the peeps to help me get my Gixxer!!!!!! Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
816 Posts
For a 1st bike, the Katana will be perfect for you. It will not be as twitchy as a Gixxer and will actually be a bit more forgiving when you twist the throttle or lean it over. The 2000 will look better on you. The Gixxer 6, though it has more than enough power, may look a little too small for your size. In all likelyhood, you will not be able to overtake the limits of the Katana let alone the Gixxer 6.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea, I think a katana is fine for him, but he thinks that it's some kinda race or something when we get on the street, or it's a fashion show.

People don't care about what kinda bike u ride on, if they do they probally bought a bike just to try and look cool, or don't have a bike at all. if that is what u want a bike for, then u can wait forever and get a pretty shinny new bike.
as far a ringing the [censored] out of it, Only one person said that, everyone else said that it's a good bike, that's bull [censored]. Just like i said earlier, It's not a race.
if u want to ride, then just get a bike. Yea i might have a new shiny bike, but that's just b/c i had that option.

The katana isn't that bad of a bike, and It seems like you just worry toooooooooooooooo much about what people think about u, and what u have.

Like i told u, U are getting your first bike. Just b/c you have ridden mine, and roger's bike a few times around the block, and for that one day, u still have alot to learn.

If you get the katana, ride it for about a year, and then get what ever u want.

<font color=blue>2001 R6<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>The Blue one Is Faster<font color=blue>/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
can o tuna.....boo, try to find an f3,or f2, yzf600 or something along those lines....they're lighter than the tuna and you won't be kickin yourself for buying one cause you can always lay down more miles and learn more from it....it's up to you though

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Can't remeber who said it but you won't be able to push any bike to it's limits since it's your first, so the question is why do you need the best?

Same goes to alot of people out there buying the best when they have no intentions of using it all. It is a fashion show, which is a damn shame/images/icons/frown.gif or it's the manufacturers that are making us all think that we need the newest fastest bike. I see guys trading in 2001 CBR's with 1400 miles for a 2002 R1 it's pretty sad. The biggest badest bike in the world doesn't mean sh!t if you can't ride in the first place.

Sorry I'm done/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
45 Posts
my first bike was a katana 600. spent a year on it, and then upgraded. probably too soon at that. but anyhow, very true is get a used one, one that you won't be heartbroken when (not if) you drop it, probably when you are standing still in your back yard!
-g

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Go used!!! When you need an upgrade think about changing out the sprockets different sizes, make a HUGE change!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts