Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropped my brand new R1, got out of the parking lot, turn left at very low speed, back wheel started to spin on dusty road, lost it.... :( I recieved my frame sliders yesterday and didn't put them on... nothing happened to the left side fairing, the clutch bar is screwed... scratches on mirror, flashers, swingarm, and big time on the outside of the black yamaha... minor scratches on helmet, my new suit, gloves...

guys, becareful... I don't want this to happen to you. I know it's not a big drama but enough to break your heart.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Whoa that sucks. BRBJackson dumped his new R1 at 190 miles tires weren't fully scrubbed in yet, and before you ask yes he can ride WELL. 60mph crash one broken clavicle and 2 ribs, and one scratch silver R1. Everybody out there be careful with new tires or a new bike.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
don't sweat it jackson, did the same thing on BRAND new tires..like under 1 mile kinda tires, and i'm not kidding, from my neighbors house down to my house is about .1 mile, then i left the next morning and spun out and dropped it, i felt like a turn for hammin the gas...oh well, it happens, glad nothings broken, keep up

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was very lucky... I checked with the dealer and replacements for scratched parts are only about $100. cluch level and that black cover. I could have sand it and repaint it, for 80 bucks, I'm too lazy for the work...
It just suprised me how slippey it was consider that I already put almost 200 km on those tires. And I was only doing a slow turn out of a parking lot... I always consider myself as a very careful driver, oh well... Hope you get back on da bike soon Jackson.

I have some very minor torn on the leather, should i get it restiched?

G

·
I feel for ya man. Must have torn your heart out.

I managed to scratch part of my R6 before I ever put a single mile on her. I dropped the rear seat cowl. /images/icons/crazy.gif Okay, I know, no big deal. But it chipped the edges and scratched the side of it. ZERO miles on the bike! I was so mad at myself. But now I figure that since I scratched her with zero miles on her, that covers her for the rest of her life, right?! /images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know anywhere I can get touchup paint for liquid silver? I realized this morning that I have stone chip in the front already! Did u get it repainted Mary?

·
Registered
44 Posts
In response to the dude saying tires were not "fully scrubbed in yet" @ 190 miles....huh?

That guy...your buddy....can't ride...and should not be on that R1 yet!!

Brand spankin' new rubber takes 40-50 miles, depending on brand, for break-in. That's it fellas!!!

Oh...for those doubters out there(everywhere!)...my father was an engineer at Michelin for 28 years!!

190 miles...I am still laughing at that comment!

peace!

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Update on the R1:

Thanks for all the kind words, crew. Just ordered replacement plastic for the RHS. Should be in my hands in a couple of weeks. The only mechanical issue is the right rearset carrier, which is a little bent (no big deal).

Sylvie will be good as new in a short while, and I'm knitting up pretty nicely. All I can say about the shunt is that it was a combination of 10 minor things going wrong at the exact same time, and when they did, my natural response with a clear lane to my left and a front tire that was behaving oddly was to straighten up and ride her out to the shoulder. Been on dirt plenty of times (for fun), but never had a bike kick up like that. Oh well, when it's your number... you know the rest.

As for the tires, it's not true to say they weren't 'scrubbed in', but that's the first time in all my years of riding that I've ever had troubles with new skins after putting 30 or 40 miles on. As a precaution, the 208's are getting replaced with a known quantity like M1's or Bridgestones. I've had as many people tell me the new 208's are great as have said they're shite, so maybe Dunlop is having early-stage compound issues? Who knows. The front still feels greasy as h*ll. Strangest damn thing I've ever seen.

I won't even comment on ChasJR1's stupid remarks, though. Talk to me about being able to ride when you've clocked 1/10th the # of canyon miles I've done, kid.

To the rest of you (the only folks that matter), I'll be back railing it in no time!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to hear that BRB. Get well back on Sylvie soon! now I am having problem in cornoring... Still having problem trusting the tire again... ahhhh Just have to wait a bit till my confident level back to normal. Don't wanna wreck that beautiful R1.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I'm just curious, but is there an Internet English 101" class that I can take?

I'm having a hard time understanding half of the sentences(?) written on some of the post above. I'm not going to mention names though /images/icons/crazy.gif

*this is not directed to you f1_champ.

BTW, sorry to hear about the mishaps. Just like Forest Gump said, "shithe happens".

It's happened to me and I know it won't be the last, I just have to be prepared for the next time I go down (knock on wood).

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
leave me alone gixy2k, i don't use periods, it's all question marks, learn to love it, or stop reading, bah! haha dork

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nothing "stupid" about telling it like it is! Tires will never need 190 miles for proper wear when new. Besides, your username changed..or are you simply talkin' smack for the hey of it!!??

I remember the 207 on my R1..the front moved around quite a bit..and yes..always felt greasy when hot. Michelin Pilot Sport gave me a huge amount of confidence and stick like glue. I am on my second set, and now chomping at the bit to try the new Sportec M1!

again I say..peace!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll try to write better next time, Gixer, hehe. I've been having so much problems lately and most of the time my fingers don't cooperate with my brain, well only if my brain can function properly... Still hoping to get better tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
BRB,

I am not trying to put words in your mouth, but are you saying that Yamaha is replacing the 208's or you are? I have 100 + miles on Pandora and the rear has a tendency to want to kick out, even in turns with out sand. I have re-read your post and am not sure if you mean that you are displeased with this set of rubber and are forking out the dead presidents for new rubber or Yamaha has been made aware of the situation and is stepping up to the plate?

Please clarify, and hope you are feeling better.
~A

Don't BRAKE till you see the whites of their eyes, oh yeah remind me which is the brake lever again

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Wet, sorry to hear you're having similar issues with the 208's. At this point, I'm going to make the change if I have to shell out the Franklins myself. I haven't brought the subject up to my dealer, but then again I've been preoccupied with healing and getting Yamaha to admit they actually have replacement plastics available /images/icons/mad.gif.

Basically, the pain meds I'm on have been taking a lot of the fight out of me, but I plan on giving Yamaha an earful on the tire situation. Believe me, I'm not trying to transfer any blame to equipment, but these tires ain't right somehow.

Hey, how 'bout a class-action lawsuit? C'mon, you're nearly a lawyer... nah, on second thought, I just want some new M1's...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe there's problem with the rubber afterall. I was really surprised that I lost the rear end like this... Please keep me informed. Thank you everyone.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts